Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

electric power steering pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 09:36 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default electric power steering pump

I installed the Chris White radiator/oil cooler (nice piece), the p.s. belt is dangerously close to the radiator because my engine is lowered by nearly 1cm due to Lindsey engine mounts. So I decided to install an electric p.s. pump. I though you guys would be interested.
Attached Images     
Old 03-08-2011, 10:21 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Where did you mount the new pump?
Old 03-08-2011, 10:50 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I ran into the same issues because I'm running semi-solid mounts. Just did a little tweaking and everything has plenty of clearance. Interested in where you mounted the pump, also!
Old 03-08-2011, 01:14 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Electric PS pumps are available on several cars, 2nd Gen MR2 is one source (1st gen used them, but it is more elegant in the 2nd gen having speed input and ECU control interface..or is it 3rd gen and 2nd gen.. I forget, but have data at home for this...), readily available for a couple hundred $$, but are current hogs!

MB, Mini, Toyota all use electric PS pumps regularly, and they are available from most parts suppliers, junk yards, ebay etc...

Easy brackets can be fabbed to mount it where our stock reservoir mounts, and re-route the lines is easy to this location!

Could even go full braided, all flex line, aftermarket cooler loop anywhere, and have a better performing end solution than the factory setup... not that I have been looking into it or anything...
Old 03-08-2011, 01:43 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I saw several converted cars at Fall Line last year. This is a TRW pump available at Bimmerworld for $700 though I purchased it used at a pretty good discount (out of a wrecked race car). I am going to mount it in at base of the cage A pillar on the passenger side to improve weight distribution and maintain a reasonably close proximity to power and rack. I will upload some pic's when I get it done. Ordering parts now. Pegasus has banjo to AN fitting conversion parts so I need that first.

Quick Reply: electric power steering pump