Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Anyone tried the Sylvania Xenarc HID's?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2002, 06:15 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Anyone tried the Sylvania Xenarc HID's?

I'm looking at buying this setup as it is compliant with all USA and Canadian standards. Has anyone tried and/or heard anything good or bad about these units? Price is US$699.

<a href="http://www.sylvania.com/xenarc/x60246054.htm" target="_blank">http://www.sylvania.com/xenarc/x60246054.htm</a>

fc-racer
Old 06-10-2002, 07:08 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

That $100 discount is a brand new promotion and is awful soon after their much delayed introduction of the non-truck lenses. They must be having a problem with sales volume.

I haven't followed up with the Joint Venture or tested out these lights, but here is what I know. The infamous Daniel Stern was associated with them, had some sort of run-in and quit or got fired. Then he proceeded to get on the internet and bad mouth these lights as crap that were worse than 5 buck sealed beams. But take that with a grain of salt as Stern is a real character and you have the disgruntled employee angle.

I have spoken to the guy that is in charge of the biz and he admitted that there were some problems and they were redesigning the headlights which is one of the reasons they took forever and a day to finally come out. And the first lights sold were being replaced with the new ones if the customer complained.

I would be wary and actually see some test data before I plunked down $700. You really can't trust your eyeballs on this stuff.

So, the real question is how much better do they perform than, for example, my Full Boat halogen headlight kit which only costs ~$300 and are they worth the extra $400? I don't have the answer to that yet as have been too busy to check out, but I doubt they are worth it especially for guys aged under 40 that still have eyeballs that can open to the full 7mm. (Night vision usually starts the steady march to hell after about age 40 as your pupils lose the ability to open fully.)
Old 06-10-2002, 07:35 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

I really only have two options that I'm looking at:

1. Get the Sylvania Xenarc HID system for US$699.
2. Get Euro H4 lenses and upgrade kit and then put in the Philips H4 HID conversion kit. Cost approx. US$950.

I'm not sure though if the H4 lens is appropriate for HID usage, it might blind the oncoming traffic?

fc-racer
Old 06-10-2002, 07:49 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Don't do one of those HID abortions in an H4 E-Code lens. The lens isn't designed for an arc light source. And the cops are starting to crack down on this so is only a matter of time before you get smacked.

What is wrong with considering E-Code with overwatted H4s and beefed up wiring? Aimed right, no problem with other drivers and you will be tossing out over 2000 lumens. Standard North American headlight output is 1000 lumens +/- 15%. You will be happy as a clam and save a pile of cash.
Old 06-10-2002, 07:54 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

The HID's just look so cool

fc-racer

Quick Reply: Anyone tried the Sylvania Xenarc HID's?