Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

DIY Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 12:21 PM
threesticks1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post DIY Exhaust

Hey: I was wondering who has made their own exhaust system for their 951s? To what extent did you make your own? How much time? Any pit falls?
How about some pictures?

The reason that I am asking is that my friend has a whole big pile of truck take off exhaust systems of various sizes. There is a lot of 3" with lots of bends, slip joints, mounts and hangers, and flanges that could be cut, fit and welded to work on my 951.

I would like to still use a cat and a good muffler to keep it legal and somewhat quiet so recomendations would be good too.

Thanks
Old 05-05-2003, 03:01 PM
BoostGuy951
Three Wheelin'

I built mine... 3 inch pipe from the Downpipe to the muffler, which is stepped up to 4 inches. It wasn't too hard to build, but since I didnt include a cat, I didnt need to use the factory exhaust pathway. I just came straight back from the downpipe and curved it a little to go into the muffler. It is pretty damn loud, but that s probly due to the fact that I have just an open Borla Xr-1 muffler.
Old 05-05-2003, 03:24 PM
Steve Cooper
Racer

I built a high-flow cat replacement. All stainless. 3". Used a stock 951 exhaust and cut and MIG welded in a straight pipe and high-flow Carsound cat. Used tri-mix sheilding gas and stainless wire.

Welding exhasut pipe can be a challenge, especially if it's not straight. An exhaust assembly is hard to balance and rotate. Access to some areas can be tough, and you need to be sure that you get the cat section welded up and aligned so that there aren't problems with the wastegate dump tube lining up or being too short. Plus once the dump tube is in place, it will limit acess to welds on either side of the cat, these need to completed first.

It was an enjoyable day long project to pull the original exhaust, fab a new high flow system using the 2nd exhaust and the carsound cat, then mount the new cat system and adjust it.

I've yet to dyno with this new exhaust. I'm doing final picky tweaking on the Guru MAP system, adjusting AFRs. It feels faster than the stock cat, but no way to be sure until I get it on a dyno again.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: DIY Exhaust