Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

LSD and clutch fork questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 11:02 AM
Richard Bennett
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy LSD and clutch fork questions

I am part way through tearing into my clutch. The clutch failed at the track, and won't disengage. The slave cylinder works Ok so it looks like the release fork has broken. Are there any other options on the fork, other than OEM?

While I was tearing the car apart I noticed that the LSD seems very weak, which I have suspected for some time. Anyone know the breakaway torque for an 89 (TurboS). The manual states " A Torque of 10...35Nm must be achieved" I don't understand what the manual is trying to say. Is it a range 10-35Nm which sounds way too low?

Can you change the clutch pack through the Diff access plate, or do you have to seperate the box? Are there options on clutch plates or should I stick with the OEM TurboS plates? I would like to go for a higher locking ratio, anyone know where to get the clutch pack from?
Old 05-04-2003, 08:30 PM
Richard Bennett
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I got into the clutch. It turns out that the fork was intact but the flange on the release bearing had a chunk out of it. the fork was also damaged but not broken. Not sure what happened.

I also measured the Diff breakaway torque. Measuring directly on the CV flanges of the transmission it slipped at a pitiful 13Nm. I only had to use a small 3/8 torque wrench, and it was at the bottom of the range. Is this correct? it seems way too low to me. I was looking on PET for the LSD clutch discs, the thickest it shows is 2.1mm but the TurboS's used 2.5mm. Any idea where to get the parts from?

Thanks Richard
Old 05-04-2003, 10:19 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
You can order the LSD clutch disks from the dealer.
Old 05-05-2003, 12:20 AM
Waterguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
TurboS LSD inner clutch plates are thicker (2.5 mm), with correspondingly thinner thrust rings. Outer plates are the same as the earlier LSDs. I believe that the TurboS LSD inner clutch plates/thrust rings supercede the earlier ones. Sounds like you should just replace the stock clutch plates and then use whatever thickness of outer plate you require (1.9 mm, 2 mm, 2.1 mm) you require to get the breakaway torque back up to the upper end of the 10-35 N-m spec range.

Quick Reply: LSD and clutch fork questions