Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

"New" motor, Bad head gasket...Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2002, 09:27 PM
johne
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post "New" motor, Bad head gasket...Questions

Well I'll soon be picking up my "new" motor for my 951 that is currently motorless. The motor has ~130k on it and has the original clutch and turbo that I am currently planning on reusing(i know i know). The big issue is that the motor has a blown head gasket. Since the motor will be out of the car I figure it won't be "that" bad to replace the head gasket. What I am needing is advice and tips, such as what kind of head gasket to use (stock or other). Please keep in mind that money for this project is quite short right now so keep it cheap .

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-23-2002, 12:20 AM
kelsean
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if youve been reading the board you might have seen another post with a similar question -Perry951 responded with some advice. To that i might add, especially a motor with an uncertain past, that you replace everything you can to make it as good as 'new'.

I dont know about your mechanical abilities (or what you know about these cars), but you prolly dont want to have to pull that motor back out anytime soon if you dont have to. To that end, it would be smart to check/replace all the bearings and seals. Look and you'll find that many owners, like myself, with cars that have not enjoyed a good regular maintenance schedule via some previous owner are having their motors rebuilt. Since you've got to buy a head gasket anyway, you might as well get the whole kit (about $140) and do what you can, including a new water pump and belts/rollers. Also, if the turbo has the same mileage on it then it could probably use a rebuild. Search the board, these things need some love after 15+y ears -only about $275 via Majestic Turbo in Waco,Tx. This is Very Good insurance -that thing too is a bitch to r/r. If you look around and bone up on this stuff, you'll find that the money you save now (and then some) can be gone in an instant later if something you coulda fixed comes back to get you.

This is by no means a complete checklist before installing this motor in your car with a new hg, although you can certianly find that here. There are many very knowledgable people here that would be glad to help you. The big idea is to do everything you can while the opportunity is there. Then you can sit back and enjoy your car without some of the worry.

BTW, dont mean to give the wrong impression about these cars -i absolutely love them, as does everyone here, but with the miles this motor your getting has and since its already out of the car...it'll never be easier! If you can do most of this yourself, it can be done fairly cheaply.
HTH!
Old 08-23-2002, 05:36 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ditto. Wait until you have to money to do it right, or it will bite you in the wallet later.

Quick Reply: "New" motor, Bad head gasket...Questions