Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Best Group Buy Connector Crimper?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 02:03 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts
Default Best Group Buy Connector Crimper?

I am crimper impaired. Has anyone found a particularly good crimper for the group buy conector pins?

I have a great crimper for my WeatherPac connector pins -- it wraps the legs around the insulaiton and clamps on to the wires like it was done at the factory. All other pins end up a crumpled mess, no matter what crimper I seem to try.

How do I get that nice factory-looking crimp for the group buy connectors?
Old 02-10-2011, 01:40 AM
jlturpin
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

X2
Old 02-10-2011, 02:55 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,206 Likes on 1,245 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
group buy conector pins?
Where is the thread on this?
Old 02-10-2011, 07:30 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I am crimper impaired. Has anyone found a particularly good crimper for the group buy conector pins?

I have a great crimper for my WeatherPac connector pins -- it wraps the legs around the insulaiton and clamps on to the wires like it was done at the factory. All other pins end up a crumpled mess, no matter what crimper I seem to try.

How do I get that nice factory-looking crimp for the group buy connectors?
Post a picture or link to the crimpers you have.

Many years ago I bought a set of Amp pin dies that work with most small pins. I'm not home this week, but I'll try to look to see what numbers are on them when I get back.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:41 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
Where is the thread on this?
Long since closed.. keep your eyes open though...

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...ight=connector

BTW, If anyone is interested to know, I processed the donation of proceeds from the GB to Project Rennwish this morning! Thanks for everyones interest, participation, and more importantly support of Rennwish..

as far as crimpers go, the "correct" setup is a touch north of $700, and will be ordered in the near future, but isn't on hand yet, and short of it there is a $40 one from Mcmaster carr (sp?) that will work, YMMV...

Once the "correct" crimper setup is on hand, I will be "loaning" it out, so if you can wait a bit longer keep your eyes open, otherwise there are several tha CAN work.. I included a few extra pins in each order for just this reason, as there is a small learning curve on crimping the pins!

If you find yourself running short of pins for one reason or another, let me know as I did purchase extra to have on hand, and will be dropping another order shortly for a possible second GB... just have a bit too much on my plate right now to pull the trigger just right now..

Last edited by JohnKoaWood; 02-10-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:28 AM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

OK, I've got some related questions, I thought they might fit here instead of cluttlering things up with a new thread, hope that's OK Tom.

I've got this white plug which I'm using to build my connection from a Lindsey Quad MAF to my factory harness without having to cut any factory wiring:

I've got the plug, rubber boot, and male terminals which look similar to these, but completely flattened out and un-crimped:

Would a tool like the one below (double crimp tool) help with the crimping? I know it won't be perfect, but $700 for the factory quality tool might be overkill for me. John, is this similar to the Mcmaster Carr tool you mentioned that might work?

http://eagleday.stores.yahoo.net/doubcrimtool.html
Old 02-10-2011, 11:32 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by chrenan
OK, I've got some related questions, I thought they might fit here instead of cluttlering things up with a new thread, hope that's OK Tom.

I've got this white plug which I'm using to build my connection from a Lindsey Quad MAF to my factory harness without having to cut any factory wiring:

I've got the plug, rubber boot, and male terminals which look similar to these, but completely flattened out and un-crimped:

Would a tool like the one below (double crimp tool) help with the crimping? I know it won't be perfect, but $700 for the factory quality tool might be overkill for me. John, is this similar to the Mcmaster Carr tool you mentioned that might work?

http://eagleday.stores.yahoo.net/doubcrimtool.html
Yes, that tool should work.. just make sure to take care, as if you use the wrong slot it WILL crush the pin and bend it all out of shape... but that tool WILL work ok...
Old 02-10-2011, 11:36 AM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks John, much appreciated. Also kudos on your pimp radiator drain setup, I built the same one based on your thread and used it last night for the first time, such a clean job now!!! Old water straight into waste containers!
Old 02-10-2011, 11:54 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Which is better, the MAC tool one shown on the other thread, or the Eagleday version? The MAC tool version looks flat -- i.e., not able to form all the little flaps at once, whereas the Eagleday version looks like it might crimp the whole pin as a unit for a more factory-like job. Anyone know for sure?
Old 02-10-2011, 01:20 PM
TX951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be in for any quality ratcheting type depending on price. The $10 Harbor Freight (on special) ratcheting type currently gets the job done with few bungles.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:34 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Long since closed.. keep your eyes open though.

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...ight=connector
If I recall correctly, this was a fantastic GB that we did, wasn't it John?
Old 02-10-2011, 08:23 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
If I recall correctly, this was a fantastic GB that we did, wasn't it John?
Overly fantastic... killed the global supply base and ended up waiting for months in the Bosch production cue... BUT finally got it wrapped up without too many bumps in the road, and even processed the rennwish donation this morning!

I originally thought I would end up with 5-10 people... when all was said and done... 43... over 1000 connectors, 6000 pins, the list goes on and on and on.. but it was fun, and definitely kept me occupied!

For future efforts I am going to pre-purchase everything and not pull the trigger until I have everything sitting in my hands ready to ship!
Old 02-10-2011, 08:24 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by chrenan
Thanks John, much appreciated. Also kudos on your pimp radiator drain setup, I built the same one based on your thread and used it last night for the first time, such a clean job now!!! Old water straight into waste containers!

I love it too, it isn't cheap, but does make the job a breeze, and a clean one at that!
Old 03-17-2011, 12:46 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Well, I've come to learn that it's all about having a crimper specifically designed for the pins you are using. For those Radio Shack Molex connectors that are so common, I ended up getting a special crimper from Mouser. The result, right out of the box, is better than anything else I've tried over the last 30 years or so.... Now it's just a matter of finding the right crimper for each of those group buy pins...
Attached Images  
Old 03-17-2011, 01:04 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That crimp looks so clean!

Quick Reply: Best Group Buy Connector Crimper?