Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Diehard Battery Life?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 03:41 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts
Default Diehard Battery Life?

About 5 years ago, I installed a Diehard 3 yr full replacement, 100 month pro-rated life battery. It's starting to lose it's charge quicker than before -- will only go about a week without starting before it is too weak to start the car.

I just confirmed the draw on the battery is 19mA, just like the day I installed it, which is not too much to ask I'd think. And the alternator is charging in the high 13v range.

How many years should I expect to get out of this battery? I would have thought more....
Old 01-30-2011, 03:54 PM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well just for a frame of reference, I have a 05 Toyota Camry that is now on it's 3rd battery. Alternator load tested fine. I buy all my batteries at Costco now. They have unbelievable customer service and return policies there. Exchanged for 2 fresh batteries at no cost to me I also exchanged my 27 month old red top Optima that was leaking over the counter for a new one now questions asked.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:03 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
About 5 years ago, I installed a Diehard 3 yr full replacement, 100 month pro-rated life battery. It's starting to lose it's charge quicker than before -- will only go about a week without starting before it is too weak to start the car.

I just confirmed the draw on the battery is 19mA, just like the day I installed it, which is not too much to ask I'd think. And the alternator is charging in the high 13v range.

How many years should I expect to get out of this battery? I would have thought more....
Hey Tom
I have been through my share of batteries ..The biggest killer or cutting the life short on a battery is, non use on a daily basis ... The best thing ever invented are those trickle chargers .....
I have an extra one if you need it ....
Regard"
Ed
Old 01-30-2011, 05:13 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Five years sounds about right for a standard battery life. If you want one that goes longer, you will need to pay more money to get one with better lead. Most batteries use recycled lead and the impurities shorten the life of the battery. Eventually, Sulfation will kill all lead acid batteries.

Temperature, the amount of discharge, the proper charging, the purity of the lead and acid all come into play. I dug up some charts and life cycles are in the 1000 to 2000 range for lead acid batteries. So if you run the car every day, that is 3-5 years.

http://pvcdrom.pveducation.org/BATTERY/charlead.htm

Last edited by Bri Bro; 01-30-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:39 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Thanks gentlemen. I guess 5 years just doesn't last as long as it used to...

And don't even get me started on headlights and turn signal bulbs in modern VWs and BMWs -- the oil actually last longer in those cars now days...
Old 01-30-2011, 08:26 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Thanks gentlemen. I guess 5 years just doesn't last as long as it used to...

And don't even get me started on headlights and turn signal bulbs in modern VWs and BMWs -- the oil actually last longer in those cars now days...
Time to move to LEDs
Old 01-30-2011, 08:40 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yup, non daily use is the killer. I usually see batteries go 3-5 years for cars that are "toys" Some less if they aren't driven but once a month. I have always gotten 8-9 years out of batteries in my daily drivers.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:32 AM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Battery life also depends on the conditions the battery lives in day to day. Very few batteries live more than 2 years in Phoenix.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:41 AM
AScholtes
Pro

The heat cycles in the engine bay have a lot to do with battery life. In my Lincoln LS, the battery is in the trunk and is 8 years old and seems to be kicking strong (even on the those bitter just above zero mornings we have had here in the South this winter, at least in the mountainous parts). This is the OEM battery and never has been replaced. On any other car I have had, the battery lasted a typical 4 or 5 years before needing replacement.

So in ending, get it out from under the bonnet and place it in the boot

(and the requisite, That's what she said...)
Old 01-31-2011, 01:12 PM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

DieHard batteries aren't what they used to be, but i would have expected about 6 years out of it.

I worked at Autozone for a few years and got to see all the batteries coming in. They all have a date code on the side (alphanumeric stamp, i.e. A1 = January 2001) so i kept a running tab of how long each brand lasted.

Autozone's Duralast brand is actually pretty good, they last about as long as they say they will. Interstate batteries with the green top are good too (the grey tops don't last as long, they're from a different plant). Sears DieHard's aren't terrible, but they aren't as good as the previous two--you'll get like 6 years out of a 7 year battery.

Almost all OEM batteries suck. OEM batteries almost always last about 4 years. Optima batteries are just terrible, or at least they were. They had about a 4 year life. Supposedly they have made them last longer than they used to.

Not stating any of this as factual, they're just my observations after working at Autozone for 4 years during college and installing hundreds of batteries. I could care less about Autozone now (they treat their employees like crap) but their Duralast batteries are my only choice for my cars.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:14 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interstate just moved production down to a plant in Mexico a couple years back. They aren't as good as they used to be.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:21 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by azbanks
Interstate just moved production down to a plant in Mexico a couple years back. They aren't as good as they used to be.
I just replaced the Interstate battery in my 951...date punched 2001! And it was still starting the car albeit dragging after sitting a week.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:24 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

also...the OEM BMW batteries seem to last a long time too (maybe the environment in the trunk).

I work for a dealer and when the weather changes (hot-cold or cold-hot doesn't matter) the batteries drop like flies on the pre-owned lot.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:44 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by azbanks
Interstate doesn't make their own batteries. They never have. They're made by Johnson Controls.

I get my batteries for $25, so I don't care if they only last a year.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:51 PM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CurtP
Interstate doesn't make their own batteries. They never have. They're made by Johnson Controls.

I get my batteries for $25, so I don't care if they only last a year.
If i'm not mistaken Johnson Controls makes almost all the car batteries these days. They're all made in different plants and seem to have different quality controls though.

FWIW i don't think $25/year is a very good deal if $100 buys you 7-8 years and doesn't put the extra strain on your charging system...

Quick Reply: Diehard Battery Life?