Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Boost Activated Exhaust Cutout

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 01:14 AM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not just make it open up at WOT with a switch? I need a 3" exhaust, but now seriously considering trying this instead. I like the idea of keeping it quiet for driving in town, and letting it rip only when I want to, and that's really only at WOT.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:49 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
I have a highly calibrated seat dyno, and can assure you my car did not pick up 10% more horsepower when I opened the cut out.
Well if you mounted it, from what it looks like, on the wg tie in, then I wouldn't expect you to pick up much if any.

But mounting it as close to the Dp as possible, I would expect some gains. On highly modded NA cars or basically stock turbo cars the dynos I saw did not show as much; maybe 5% at the wheels.

Also, for those that are running or prefer to run stock exhaust this would be a major performance enhancer and a 1/3 the cost of going 3" or bigger cat back.

And we all know the gains of going from full stock to a 3" cat back with no cat. That is one hell of a gain for $200.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:51 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kevincnc
Why not just make it open up at WOT with a switch? I need a 3" exhaust, but now seriously considering trying this instead. I like the idea of keeping it quiet for driving in town, and letting it rip only when I want to, and that's really only at WOT.
That is exactly what these do. I posted this company as 90% say after several years running it they had no issues and those that did sent it back and were sent a fixed or brand new one. I researched other forums from high modded turbo imports to turbo'd muscle cars, etc.

http://www.dmhperformance.com/ecutout.htm

Push a button on the dash and it opens/closes very quickly.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:46 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

This is just a personal opinion - but running an unmuffled exhaust on the street is just plain low class ‘look at me’ noise making. Our 944s do not have a great exhaust note to begin with, sorry, they don’t quite sound like a Ferrari or even an older 911. They sound like a four cylinder……

In addition any unmuffled exhaust on the street tells me that he Owner did not have the know-how or did not want to pay somebody else to make a good exhaust system. You don’t have to cough up thousands for a full stainless exhaust, you can get it done for a lot less. I have made just under 400rwhp on a stock downpipe, $250 steel test pipe and the stock muffler – and it sounded nice while not being obnoxious.

As I said – its just my opinion, but there is nothing that makes me cringe more than a ‘classy car’ like a Porsche that sounds a very loud pile of crap. Christ, might as well run side pipes or a 5” dump right out of the front fender……
Old 01-27-2011, 10:46 AM
barks944
Advanced

Is there ever a reason to want to dump crossover pressure? For example with a smaller turbo like a K26/6 at high rpm where the exhaust turbine becomes restrictive and the wastegate is shut as boost has dropped off? In this case wouldn't there be an excess of back pressure on the engine in the crossover?

Edit: Does anyone know what kind of pressure you get in the crossover with a K26/6?
Old 01-27-2011, 11:11 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
This is just a personal opinion - but running an unmuffled exhaust on the street is just plain low class ‘look at me’ noise making. Our 944s do not have a great exhaust note to begin with, sorry, they don’t quite sound like a Ferrari or even an older 911. They sound like a four cylinder……

In addition any unmuffled exhaust on the street tells me that he Owner did not have the know-how or did not want to pay somebody else to make a good exhaust system. You don’t have to cough up thousands for a full stainless exhaust, you can get it done for a lot less. I have made just under 400rwhp on a stock downpipe, $250 steel test pipe and the stock muffler – and it sounded nice while not being obnoxious.

As I said – its just my opinion, but there is nothing that makes me cringe more than a ‘classy car’ like a Porsche that sounds a very loud pile of crap. Christ, might as well run side pipes or a 5” dump right out of the front fender……
When i had a full stock exhaust on my car, i took the pipe off from the wategate dump to the tie in section and ran the car. it actually sounded quite nice. Mind you the cat was in the middle section and the big tube was a resonator. because it was a 2" un muffles coming from the side it didn't sound drony but sounded like a 'super car' sound.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:39 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Paulyy
When i had a full stock exhaust on my car, i took the pipe off from the wategate dump to the tie in section and ran the car. it actually sounded quite nice. Mind you the cat was in the middle section and the big tube was a resonator. because it was a 2" un muffles coming from the side it didn't sound drony but sounded like a 'super car' sound.
Open wastegastes sound like a like a demented Hoover run amuck to me. Don’t care for it at all.

I found that a lot for the guys that run an open wastegate like to feel that they are trying to get the most form the car but in reality they really want the “look at me – I has a turbo” sound. Same thing for blow off valves.

Again - thats just my opinion....!
Old 01-27-2011, 12:58 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Open wastegastes sound like a like a demented Hoover run amuck to me. Don’t care for it at all.

I found that a lot for the guys that run an open wastegate like to feel that they are trying to get the most form the car but in reality they really want the “look at me – I has a turbo” sound. Same thing for blow off valves.

Again - thats just my opinion....!
I don't mean the open wastegate sound, but the noise coming from thr 2" pipe where it should be connected to the wastegate. Just because it's a higher pitched noise.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:17 PM
carlege
Drifting

Depends. If this is a car you drive daily everywhere then i agree. But, most of these cars are fun weekend cars and for that i say go for it. for 200 dollars + install time i think being labeled classless is a small price to pay for putting down more hp on demand.

Thats just my opinion.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:10 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by carlege
Depends. If this is a car you drive daily everywhere then i agree. But, most of these cars are fun weekend cars and for that i say go for it. for 200 dollars + install time i think being labeled classless is a small price to pay for putting down more hp on demand.

Thats just my opinion.
I agree, and have no desire to draw attention to myself by looking like a jackass. I could weld up my own exhaust, but it seems to me that this would be even better for spool-up, and if I don't like it, I don't have to use it. It would also take a lot less time to do. Maybe a 3-way switch- left open, center closed, and right WOT controller.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:33 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Gee…..and we wonder why lots of other ‘purists’ look down on the 944 turbo….

Heres a good low cost idea -
Old 01-28-2011, 10:37 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carlege

Thats just my opinion.
Exactly!

And Chris, this is exaclty my intent. I would not run it open much at all except when out on some open road as I don't need to with my 3" I have now. Also, I know with my MAF, large turbo, 18-20psi and still stock downpipe I know I am probably sitting on a lot of backpressure. So I was considering a 4" exhaust and then re visited this idea and seems to be the best ROI.

Here is my current sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRTGqxiUeac
Old 01-28-2011, 11:20 AM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ss-switch.html
Old 01-28-2011, 11:26 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Most of us have respect towards the looks and sounds of our cars.

That is a N/A with a fartcannon tied to the boot with the idiot owner limiter bashing the engine.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:37 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

hahaha That was so funny I even had to click the "like" button on youtube

Quick Reply: Boost Activated Exhaust Cutout