Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Engine Build in process

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011 | 06:04 AM
JFreeman
Instructor

Default Engine Build in process

Hi guys,
New to the site, love all the info here. Im in the middle of an engine build for my 86 951, just wondering if anyone has any suggestions. This is what i have so far: 2.5 steel sleeves bored 20 over, cross-drilled crank, wiseco pistons(soon to be ceramic coated), arp head studs, 4-angle valve job and mildly ported head, K26-8 polished, and a fidanza aluminum flywheel. I plan to do more port work on the head, and polish the intake (tested on a flow bench). And possibly run a standalone engine management once i get it all together. Other fun mods include the 3in exhaust with a screamer pipe , bilstein rear coil overs, and konis up front. Wideband O2 mounted next to the boost gauge in the dash. Also plan on building a custom 3in down pipe, I'l keep you posted on how that works out for me.
Old 01-17-2011 | 06:19 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Firstly welcome to Rennlist,
If your engine is out, id recomend upgrading your turbo.
Old 01-17-2011 | 06:24 AM
JFreeman
Instructor

Well this is going to be my DD with occasional track days, I'm leaning more towards reliability than HP...but who doesnt want to go fast right? So what would you suggest?
Old 01-17-2011 | 06:44 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

From what you just said, it's your DD and now and then track car. I'd suggest This turbo, it spools the same as the k26/8, Nize is running this turbo on his car. Theres test results in spool time which you will find Here.

Alot of people will have their input but this is mine.
Old 01-17-2011 | 07:09 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Sounds like a cool build. Do you have the wideband gauge mounted yet? I'd like to see what you did with it.

Originally Posted by JFreeman
4-angle valve job
Is that a typo? I've heard of 5-angle (which is a waste, doesn't gain you anything over 3), but never 4...where would the 4th angle be, in the port or in the combustion chamber?
Old 01-17-2011 | 03:36 PM
JFreeman
Instructor

The machine shop i took the head to was going to do a 5 angle, but said the tools he had wouldnt fit for the 5th angle, so maybe it is a 3 and i mis-understood what he said. Its a pretty respectable shop and i know alot of people that trust their work. As far as the wide band goes, i had it mounted in the center dash under the radio, just took the stock "catch all" storage area thing out and put in a flat plate with 2 holes in it, 1 for the boost and 1 for the O2. Eventually moved the boost gauge to the dash where it now covers the stock boost gauge.

Quick Reply: Engine Build in process