Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Building Aluminum Torque Tube.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 09:57 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeh i had trouble recently welding under the car etc lighting wise ..I have found cheap welder's realy good at the power supply but the ancillaries are junk 1m earth lead and junky torche is after 3 years the cheap torch is dead and i can't get parts for it so i will set up a bigger binzel i have for it ...
and I've seen more expensive angle grinders explode than cheap ones
Old 01-24-2011, 03:14 AM
95ONE
Race Car

So I got the wheel wells done while I wait for machining/pipes. A ridiculous amount of staring and wondering how I was going to do this happened. so much time for something so simple... It was MUCH harder than you think to cut out that piece of black plastic so it would fit every angle and curve in the fiber glass. SO glad thats over.. I can't even think what it would do to me if someone hit the car.. lol. Harsh.. here are the pics.. \

Old 01-24-2011, 07:03 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

So let me get this right. You've boxed the rear fenders a la 924CGT and made some liners which seem to have both plastic and aluminium content? You going for 335s out back or just wider track? Guess the beauty is you can find the best width tyre to run based on trial and error. This is going to be a one off Bruce...cool!
Old 01-24-2011, 08:39 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95ONE
So I got the wheel wells done while I wait for machining/pipes. A ridiculous amount of staring and wondering how I was going to do this happened. so much time for something so simple... It was MUCH harder than you think to cut out that piece of black plastic so it would fit every angle and curve in the fiber glass. SO glad thats over.. I can't even think what it would do to me if someone hit the car.. lol. Harsh.. here are the pics.. \

Why the plastic fender liners? Why not just FG all the way, it is cheap to get, cheap to use, and easy to form and repair.... You could have done a substrate of the plastic to use as a form for the fg, and flaired the new FG into the fender.. then the resin would have acted as a bonding agent to the origional fender liner.. little bit of sanding and flairing and it would have ended up seamless!

Looks good, as for the Al welding... its all about heat.. preheat, heat of the weld, cool down, and if necessary heat treating the part as close to the origional heat treatment used... the internal structure of the Al is disturbed when welding, but if you use good heat throughout the process you should end up with a weld joint as strong if not stronger than the origional casting.. remember it is a porous casting, old parts will have to be throughly (sonicly if possible) cleaned prior to welding, or you will contaminate the weld...

And keep Hydrogen OUT as much as possible (use high quality wire/rods, not cheap ones, as teh cheaper ones tend to hydorgenate faster, or have hydrogen in them from the get go)...

Looking at the pics of the welds, it appears you either had a dirty joint or nasty wire / rod as there is some carbon at the perifery of the weld (which also means there is a carbon layer IN the weld)... but it should be fine...
Old 01-24-2011, 08:43 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Chris, There are some areas that are well done, and there are some areas that are very strong and functional, but I didn't wast time on being pretty. Much of it is just roughed in and not really finished yet. . I'll start taking more pics of the good stuff in the coming months.. Other than that, most of it is just raw and needs finishing touches.
It all depends on your point of view – to some of us Functional equals Pretty but Pretty does not necessarily equal Functional!
Old 01-24-2011, 08:51 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Chris White
It all depends on your point of view – to some of us Functional equals Pretty but Pretty does not necessarily equal Functional!
And there are some where form follows function, and find the most functional items to be the pretiest!
Old 01-24-2011, 03:43 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Well, at this point, I could run fiberglass over the whole thing in the back. The plastic is strictly to keep the wind from getting into the back of the car. John, I'm not sure how I would have laid the fiberglass without some sort of mold though.. I'm not a great fiberglasser to tell you the truth. It is finally making progress though.. !.. Running 305's out rear.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:46 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by 333pg333
So let me get this right. You've boxed the rear fenders a la 924CGT and made some liners which seem to have both plastic and aluminium content? You going for 335s out back or just wider track? Guess the beauty is you can find the best width tyre to run based on trial and error. This is going to be a one off Bruce...cool!
GT racing wide body. Boxed in the wheel wells yes. And I wil NEVER do a one off again.. crazy amounts of work.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:59 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

So you're net venting the rear wells?
Old 01-24-2011, 08:10 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by Duke
So you're net venting the rear wells?
I will be.. BUT.. I am saving that for AFTER I get this thing running..
Venting the rear wells will take more project work that I am losing steam for. So far, i have about 3 items that will need more detail work that can wait until I've got it flying around a track.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:49 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by Chris White
That's def. my kind of thinking.. I guess it's been a while since you guys have seen my picks of where I started from?

Here's a few to remind you..

And one of my favorites before I took her apart... I installed Koni shocks soon after this!

Last edited by 95ONE; 01-24-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:42 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Was the favorite before or after the header panel "fell off"?

OH and you can use pretty much anything as a mold for the FG wheel wells... cardboard covered with plastic wrap works pretty well for a basic mold... once the FG resin sets.. pull away the mold and voila!
Old 01-24-2011, 10:49 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like your wing is producing a bit too much downforce
Old 01-24-2011, 11:04 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

How much power did you car produce? What kind of suspension did it have in that pic? Just curious?

Also are you just trying to build a lightweight track car or what?
Old 01-24-2011, 11:05 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

How much power did you car produce? What kind of suspension did it have in that pic? Just curious?

Also are you just trying to build a lightweight track car or what?

Quick Reply: Building Aluminum Torque Tube.