Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Turn on the headlights and the wipers turn on?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011 | 03:55 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Default Turn on the headlights and the wipers turn on?

I have a weird electrical gremlin that just started within the past few days, but I just noticed it last night.

Symptoms: When I turn the headlights on (and they pop-up, doesn't happen on the first click for parking lights) I get a single wipe of the windsheild washers. I assume I knocked something loose in a recent job but I have no idea what.

What I have done to the car recently:

-Rear wiper delete. I thought I did this cleanly by heat shrinking each connector so they wouldn't ground on anything. I wanted to pull the fuse for the rear wiper but I couldn't find it in the fusebox? This would be my guess.

-Evap Delete. I had to move the big harnesses out of the way at the rear of the engine, possibly cracked a cable and made a short?

-Bypass Valve. Possibly bumped a wire near the head lights?

-Walbro Fuel Pump. Not suspecting this really, I noticed this problem once prior to installing this yesterday.

Other ideas: Bad relay?

The PO had an alarm installed that I removed, the power lines were spliced into some wires going to the fusebox with those god damn vampire taps. I removed them and taped over where they were (I would have cut and resoldered and heat-shrunk them but that seemed impossible without taking the fuse panel all the way apart, and I wasn't getting into that mess.)

Really at a loss on this one guys. Any help is appreciated.
Old 01-14-2011 | 07:50 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Maybe try pulling the fuse for the lights then switching the lights **** on to see if the wipers are in loom with the lights or not.
Old 01-14-2011 | 07:59 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

The first thing will be removing fuses and playing with the wipers and the headlights to see if anything seems weird.

Quick Reply: Turn on the headlights and the wipers turn on?