Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Need a little help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 02:07 PM
p5th
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a little help?

Ok guys the wife has given me 1 year to wild-out on car upgrade,after which we agreed maint. issues only. When I first got here I had a plan of chips,test pipe,wastegate,well pipe is on.Not close to what I want. Now I'm thinking VR maf w/v-flex,3" exhaust....thats all I got so far! Now car has stock suspension,I want to change but what? Street car only...no race! Also, some of you have seen my little bill from dealer,based on work done to car already is there a need for a rebuild? No problems that I'm aware of,just want to get ready for hp increase.Also want to have turbo rebuilt/modded...Just looking for better 26/6? All advice is really appreciated! Oh yea,1 more thing I,m looking for some 17" 3-pc wheels w/cup look any advice?
Old 01-09-2011, 05:41 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Check out vitesse's kits on his site. In addition to his maf, they come with a turbo. If you're streeting your car, the stock suspension is more than enough. Unless you just want the right to say, "I have suspension kit 'X' on my car." What are your HP goals. You need a clear plan layed out, possibly even written out if you're willing to spend thousands at a time, before you start throwing more money at it. I think guys can achieve around 350HP with bolt-ons and depending how big a turbo you want. Perhaps more if using E85 and more boost.

If I were you, I'd again recommend selling that car, and buying CPR's car. Then you're done, with a very nice car, and money left in the bank.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:18 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

interested in the old test pipe (assuming it's a 2.5'' bursch, as it sounds like it is) if you grab a 3''.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:47 PM
p5th
Burning Brakes

Ok...suspension needs replacement,rear driver side is lower than rest....maybe just replace with stock.I figured on a VR stage 2,I already have LC-1,VDO boost gauge,A-pillar pod,LR wastegate,mbc,I just put V1 on car.I saw CPR Sat. to pick up splitter,Misses said no to another 951,thats how I got the year to play.She wants to be apart of my new hobbie(WTF,just bothering the shyt out of me!).Also will be doing interior.....RS carpet kit,rear seat delete,trying to find sport seats,have reggies in great condition for trade(hint,hint). I guess I'll get some more stuff this week,keep the advice coming! Who has the new something,the best whatchamajig?
Old 01-09-2011, 09:27 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pernell, you are sick, dude!

Just install a good set of chips, the LR dual port wastegate and a MBC and then see what you've got. Don't decide to jump overboard after just installing the test pipe!! You'll still have plenty of time within the one year window to do further upgrades later if you decide you really need more. A step by step approach will save you big $$ in the long run.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:21 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The only word of caution of a 'step by step' approach is you'll still need a plan. Otherwise, you'll be swapping parts that you just bought for other ones that you previously bought, then realize that you need something else to go along with that part, only to find out you need this and that... It can spiral out of a muck pretty quick if you don't have a plan. A year is a lot of time to spend a lot of money.

Are you planning on doing all the work yourself, or just taking the car to shops to piece it together again?
Old 01-10-2011, 12:02 AM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Black51
The only word of caution of a 'step by step' approach is you'll still need a plan. Otherwise, you'll be swapping parts that you just bought for other ones that you previously bought, then realize that you need something else to go along with that part, only to find out you need this and that... It can spiral out of a muck pretty quick if you don't have a plan. A year is a lot of time to spend a lot of money.
Right, we're pretty much saying the same thing. But at this point, with the parts he already has, he just needs to add a good set of chips and everything matches up well. In fact, that WAS the "plan" but it sounds like maybe he now wants to move on to something bigger and better before finishing the first plan and evaluating what he's got. And yes, that can get very expensive!

Old 01-10-2011, 12:43 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

1 year to to anything, then no more modding?

Better go big while you can. Time for a 3.0L Variocam turbo.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:20 AM
p5th
Burning Brakes

3.o.....not for me.Guys, this "year" is also for paint and interior. I know most hear upgrade and the words MORE HP!,come to mind.Like I had stated I want well rounded car.Still have to order mirrors,carpet....trying to find shop in area to do leather/alcantara dash. And I already asked the Misses about CPR's ride....Man some of you already know what the dealer got me for,the police showed up with a rape kit for that 1,NO GREASE! Seriously I've done the stupid route already,engine should (better)be sound. I'm looking for 10spk door panels...paging M.Nott! Can anyone recomend good brake pads (stock brakes 951)
Old 01-10-2011, 09:45 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

So... WTF happened on Saturday?

anyway, looking at the interweb is nice, but you can find out so much more actually talking to them on the phone!
Old 01-10-2011, 10:12 AM
p5th
Burning Brakes

I'm not sure what you mean? I did pm you about wrenching,never heard back from ya. I picked up splitter,damn it makes front of car look better! John K. when ever you want a non-mechanic (but with lots of beer!) I'm ready,just let me know. I'm in process of buying some tools myself,don't really know what I'm doing yet but I figure hang around you guys and learn some shyt! By the way (John,renn951) yea I stole your whole old set-up,lls. I listened to all the parts you had and just got same....I'm jacking upgrades yall. I steal idea's from all the threads. I only wish I could duplicate the 2011 green 944 avatar I've seen on RL,now that would be something,keep em coming guys!
Old 01-10-2011, 10:48 AM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by p5th
trying to find shop in area to do leather/alcantara dash.
Check with these guys: http://limsautoupholstery.com/index.html

Haven't used them myself but they have a great reputation. Located close by Porsche of Tysons Corner.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:58 AM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

hmmm...

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
So... WTF happened on Saturday?

anyway, looking at the interweb is nice, but you can find out so much more actually talking to them on the phone!
Old 01-10-2011, 11:00 AM
p5th
Burning Brakes

Thanx again John,after awhile I might have to put you on payroll for all your help.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:11 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by racerxrick
hmmm...
If you care to know, email, call or text... SOME things I don't discuss in open forum... MANY things I only discuss face to face..

Guys at my house this weekend have been sworn to secrecy, but got a bunch of inside scoop...

I have talked to EVERYONE on the phone, and learned TONS.... and TONS...

Quick Reply: Need a little help?