JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts
Default 'Money Well Spent'

From Hemmings Sports & Exotic Car, February 2011, "In Your Garage", page 16:

Originally Posted by HS&EC
'Money Well Spent'

Joe Pilato of Voorhees, New Jersey, has owned this 1986 Porsche 944 Turbo since new. He writes, "In 1986, I decided I wanted to fulfill my dream of owning a fast sports car. I whittled the field down to three candidates: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo, 1986 Corvette and the 1986 Porsche 944 Turbo. I had no bias toward any one of them. Performance on all was in the same general category. If anything, I was hoping that one car would come out as the value leader, providing the performance I was looking for at a lower cost.

"Despite the revolutionary development of the C4 Corvette in 1984, in 1986 the Corvette was still pretty crude compared to the Mazda and the Porsche. It did not have a true five-speed (making do with the 4+3 overdrive system), was cumbersome to get in and out of (not good for my sales job) and had an overall 'clunkier' feel than the other two cars. It did not seem like it would make a good daily driver. The Mazda was much improved over the Corvette in the refinement category, but, despite good performance numbers in test reports, did not seem particularly fast and seemed strangely soulless (something you could never accuse the Corvette of). The 944 Turbo, for lack of a better expression, knocked me out! Power, after a bit of customary turbo lag, was there in spades and came on in an expensive, silky rush. The feel of the four-piston caliper brakes were on another planet from the other two cars. You could feel the structural rigidity of the car. This was quality. The Porsche cost me nearly $10,000 more, but it was money well spent."

The Porsche was Joe's daily driver until 1993; since then, he's used it for Porsche Club track events and general cruising.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:28 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats awesome.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:46 PM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fun read. Porsche spent a few bucks on the 951 in the R&D department. During the time of the 951 and 928 cars, these models were being considered within the board as the evolution of Porsche.

No matter the eventual evolution within Porsche, a well set up 951 is a joy to drive. Anyone into sports cars has never said my "sports car" of choice was boring.

Thanks for posting.

George
Old 12-28-2010, 05:17 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

He's preaching to the Choir in here. hehehe.

Because Porsches and cars in general are so much more expensive down here I didn't get my first Porsche until 2006. You guys wouldn't believe what I paid for a very nice mildly modded '89. Anyway it was a couple of states away, kind of half way across the country. I did a bit of research (not nearly enough!) and flew down there one Saturday morning and took a look around the car for a good 5 mins before handing over a bank chq for the full amount. Got in the car and drove home. Best test drive ever. I stopped off at a hotel about 5 normal hours short of home and tried to sleep. Tossed and turned until about 2.00am and decided to just get back in the car and get home. 3 hours 15 mins later and I was pulling up to the driveway. Sitting on 120-140mph with no other road users except for the odd truck (and one Frozen Wombat in the middle of the road!!), the car was just so planted and amazing. Looking back, it was stupid and reckless but I was hypntised by the car and it was absolutely rock steady. I have been totally committed to these cars since. Cost a lot of money along the way and it hasn't stopped yet, but when you **** the GT3 owners off on the track it's all worth it. Bring on 2011!!
Old 12-28-2010, 05:21 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 333pg333
one Frozen Wombat in the middle of the road!!
Lots and lots of different road hazards in South Florida. That is not one of them
Old 12-28-2010, 08:35 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Speaking of Hemmings Sports & Exotic Car, did anyone see the 951 buyers guide from December, 2010?

It sucked, and according to the author, "Non-Turbo 944s had alloy suspension; Turbos have pressed steel" and "A one-year-only model, the Turbo S had the first 16-valve head for the model"
Old 12-28-2010, 08:45 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JDS968
Lots and lots of different road hazards in South Florida. That is not one of them
Lol. It was quite a surprise coming up to it at about 130mph. Got my eyes open a little more.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:40 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ritzblitz
Speaking of Hemmings Sports & Exotic Car, did anyone see the 951 buyers guide from December, 2010?

It sucked, and according to the author, "Non-Turbo 944s had alloy suspension; Turbos have pressed steel" and "A one-year-only model, the Turbo S had the first 16-valve head for the model"

Lol. It was quite a surprise coming up to it at about 130mph. Got my eyes open a little more.
I think I would have put the brake pedal through the firewall
Old 12-29-2010, 12:18 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

I think I would have put the brake pedal through the firewall
Reading about the 1 year only turbo version w 16v makes me want to buy one.
Just another misinformed ignorant observation by people that just don't give a **** about our cars.

As for the Wombat, there was a real element of "WHOAH, WTF???"
Old 12-29-2010, 01:18 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

As for the Wombat, there was a real element of "WHOAH, WTF???"
To be fair, we have equally "WOAH WTF???" road hazards here.

Similar, even. Last year, when it cooled off a bit in the middle of the winter, the iguanas (some of which can be about 8 feet long, including the tail), started going numb and falling out of the trees...they're cold blooded after all, and when it got into the low 30s, they simply stopped moving. Some of them, in the middle of the road. It was WEIRD.

Not so much of a problem this year, somehow they aren't many of them left...

Other "WOAH, WTF???" type hazards are more due to the retardation of Miami drivers. I once saw somebody stop on I-95 southbound and reverse across seven lanes to get to a missed exit. I thought I was watching somebody's death unfolding...and yet, somehow, the StrekStrekStrekStrekass survived...nary a fender bender from the whole thing. Very lucky.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:46 AM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

To be fair, we have equally "WOAH WTF???" road hazards here.

Similar, even. Last year, when it cooled off a bit in the middle of the winter, the iguanas (some of which can be about 8 feet long, including the tail), started going numb and falling out of the trees...they're cold blooded after all, and when it got into the low 30s, they simply stopped moving. Some of them, in the middle of the road. It was WEIRD.

Not so much of a problem this year, somehow they aren't many of them left...

Other "WOAH, WTF???" type hazards are more due to the retardation of Miami drivers. I once saw somebody stop on I-95 southbound and reverse across seven lanes to get to a missed exit. I thought I was watching somebody's death unfolding...and yet, somehow, the StrekStrekStrekStrekass survived...nary a fender bender from the whole thing. Very lucky.
I made the move from OZ to florida a few years ago. At the time i remember thinking that every australian animal had an american roadkill equivalent.
deer = kangaroo
racoon = wombat
opossum = possum
Didn't see any emus though. Plenty of these strange armadillo things.

We have plenty of 'special' drivers in oz too so no surprise there, we have the equivalent. Pedestrians here however are interesting. What is it with people on foot crossing roads here in the states? If a car is coming they continue to cross and just expect the car to brake and slow down. Most australians would stop and not cross or at least pick up the pace and cross faster. Sure, pedestrians always have right of way but common sense dictates that if a car hits a person, we all know who the loser will be. Parking lots are the worst. I followed somone for the entire length of the parking lot today. They were walking down the center of the road directly in the middle with me following behind them a few meters behind them. Seems they didn't even consider moving over to one side. Weird america..
Old 12-29-2010, 03:11 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by s14kev
I made the move from OZ to florida a few years ago.
Why does it say "Tennessee" next to your name?

At the time i remember thinking that every australian animal had an american roadkill equivalent.

[...]

Didn't see any emus though.
Given the long skinny legs, I'd say the supermodels on South Beach could suffice?

Pedestrians here however are interesting. What is it with people on foot crossing roads here in the states? If a car is coming they continue to cross and just expect the car to brake and slow down. Most australians would stop and not cross or at least pick up the pace and cross faster. Sure, pedestrians always have right of way but common sense dictates that if a car hits a person, we all know who the loser will be.
I've been saying the exact same thing for years. It makes me so StrekStrekStrekStreking angry I want to go home, get my Land Cruiser, and come back to run them over.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:25 AM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Why does it say "Tennessee" next to your name?

Given the long skinny legs, I'd say the supermodels on South Beach could suffice?

I've been saying the exact same thing for years. It makes me so StrekStrekStrekStreking angry I want to go home, get my Land Cruiser, and come back to run them over.
Spent a year in FL then moved around. Current home is TN.

No need to run them over. I find it more amusing than anything else. The peculiarities of the states is what makes this place so enjoyable to travel through.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:12 AM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Wow. That brings back memories. I was with a business colleage on a trip to FL. He was driving a rental car and missed the exit. He decided to back up on the highway....

Maybe it is something about FL....

-Dana
Old 12-29-2010, 11:16 AM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

. Pedestrians here however are interesting. What is it with people on foot crossing roads here in the states? If a car is coming they continue to cross and just expect the car to brake and slow down. Most australians would stop and not cross or at least pick up the pace and cross faster.
I would say Americans are very cautious crossing the streets (at least where I am at). Maybe FL is different. There are lots of old people. Maybe they actually looked but have such bad eye sight and hearing they dont know of the coming car?

I live part in Switzerland. There, the pedestrians simply walk out in front. They have 100% right away in a cross walk and expect 100% of the time a car will stop no matter how fast it is going. Me, even there, I always make sure the car is slowing and sees me before I step in front of a moving car.

There are old people there too...(wait a minute..I now old...)

-Dana

Quick Reply: 'Money Well Spent'