Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

951 LS1 dyno tune video

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 02:20 PM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2bridges
WOW - may want to check yourself LS1Porch.

A fellow lister offered you driving his car and you just respond like nothing less than an *******.

nice
After hearing about how "the LS1 isn't worth putting into these cars" and "your white wheels and 340hp show that you're coming from a different place than i am", i'm thinking you're mistaking a condescending remark for a genuine offer.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:16 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Originally Posted by LS1Porch
After hearing about how "the LS1 isn't worth putting into these cars" and "your white wheels and 340hp show that you're coming from a different place than i am", i'm thinking you're mistaking a condescending remark for a genuine offer.
Perhaps.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:58 AM
DVC
Burning Brakes

Chris- Genuine offer. It's running stronger than ever with the new exhaust. It will also give you a chance to compare the ABS electric boost to the hydroboost.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:51 PM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

Well in that case, i appreciate the offer, but it's not really a big deal. I've driven a few cars in the 500+ range (I/C/E C6 Z06, turbo Integra). The power is nice, but it isn't why i bought this car--especially since, in the grand scheme of things, these cars are very limited on power. I'm actually a little surprised you don't have traction issues with only a 10" rear rim...

If i cared about power i'd be saving my pennies up for a Code Red Shelby right now
Old 12-23-2010, 06:36 PM
DVC
Burning Brakes

The 10" wheels are pretty useless, indeed

Absolutely, a Code Red would do it!

Old 12-23-2010, 08:35 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Craziest intake I've ever seen.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:41 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW....

I contributed to that comment.

And it's not that LS1's aren't worth putting in.... It's that you the engines are getting so old that you can't find genuine low mileage used examples.

Combine that fact with the fact that you can get a brand new LS6 crate long block with 12month/12k warranty for $3250 delivered to your door, and the junk yard LS1 "low mileage used LS1" for a $1.5k less doesn't make sense.

That's all I was trying to say.

And right now, the new LS6 long blocks are less than LS1 complete engines.

The LS6 intake/injection system can be had for cheap on the net.

The oil pan has to change no matter.

And you'll have to get a Camaro / TransAm front drive setup with the corresponding crank pulley. Also pretty cheap on the net.

Anyway... that's the point I was just trying to make.

TonyG
Old 12-24-2010, 02:27 AM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TonyG
FWIW....

I contributed to that comment.

And it's not that LS1's aren't worth putting in.... It's that you the engines are getting so old that you can't find genuine low mileage used examples.

Combine that fact with the fact that you can get a brand new LS6 crate long block with 12month/12k warranty for $3250 delivered to your door, and the junk yard LS1 "low mileage used LS1" for a $1.5k less doesn't make sense.

That's all I was trying to say.

And right now, the new LS6 long blocks are less than LS1 complete engines.

The LS6 intake/injection system can be had for cheap on the net.

The oil pan has to change no matter.

And you'll have to get a Camaro / TransAm front drive setup with the corresponding crank pulley. Also pretty cheap on the net.

Anyway... that's the point I was just trying to make.

TonyG
I agree with that aspect of it. I bought a "low mileage" (39k) motor, but i suspect now that might not be the case (seeing some slight oil consumption). Of course that could happen with just about any junkyard motor....

DVC--are you saying you're running the electric boosted master cylinder? I'm curious how it feels, but my understanding is that it works in the same was as the hydroboost but with an electric motor instead of the mechanical pump. As for ABS my car has it, but i disabled it to run a large rear tire.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:43 AM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyG

Holy smokes, really? Not interested in it for the 951, but good to know in case the LS1 in the C5 ever lets go. I've been avoiding the 'Vette forums. I want to remain blissfully unaware of whatever flavor of the month scare those forums create. Plus if I look there I'll want to start modding it, more than I have already. As it sits it's a superb DD, if a little bit of a gas hog around town...
Old 12-24-2010, 10:51 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 345 Posts

When I was looking the problem was finding the wiring harness. Many junkyards had the LS1 motor, but not the ECU, wiring harness or accessories.

Eventually a found a decent motor that was in the car complete, so I was able to get everything I needed at once. I got all of it for less than the cost of a brand new LS6 crate motor.

Yes it's used and there is a concern there, but I'll run it till it blows up, then put in a brand new LS6 crate motor.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:03 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte

Yes it's used and there is a concern there, but I'll run it till it blows up, then put in a brand new LS6 crate motor.

:-)

That's exactly what I did.

When it blew up, I didn't even spend the time wondering what let go.

Honestly I was surprised it lasted as long as it did considering that it was an 11 year old engine out of a junk yard, 5 years of which it was never shifted below 6500 rpms :-)

TonyG
Old 12-24-2010, 12:21 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 345 Posts

Yep, I'll just take off my intake/accessories/cam and throw them in the new motor and call it a day.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:15 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No one is calling that LS1 junk. I'm saying that there is no way I'd spend that kind of money in a swap and put in a 10 year old ANYTHING. Not only that these cars especially if you are talking about track cars aren't cheep, they've never been cheep. I love it when someone says it is cheep and easy, it isn't. It does all come down to what personally works for you and what doesn't. For me I'll take new and proven any day of the week and since I'm going through the trouble of completely transporting the heart of a car I might as well buy what's the best in my eyes.

Right now it would be a grand sport LS3 with dry sump. Or I'd buy a couple year old 7.0 Z motor. If you are keeping the car indefinitely what's the 3-4 hell even 5k extra in the long run? Really?

PS it might helpful to add what sort of a guy I am. I'm the type of guy that had my tranny blow out and instead of buying a completely well documented used one with LSD to replace it with for $1100. I decided to spend $3000 completely going through mine with all new everything so that I KNEW without a shadow of a doubt it was built right. Ask owners of long term 951's out there. You'll hear stories of people saving $150 here $500 there nickel and diming it to death only to have it end up costing them a hell of a lot more down the road. I don't care about saving money as much as I do about it being right or not.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:45 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Well, there are budgets and we all have our point of diminishing returns. Un-fortunately the cost of admission is usually too high, so many take less than the best to get our projects running and run hopefully a small calclulted gamble. Many win (according to their perceived shelf life of parts) and some lose right away. But for the joy of the year (or more) of track days it gets us, its worth the gamble. It's always better to start out new and completely sure of your parts, but if old and used gets us out on the track for a little bit, (even if it costs more in the long run) then our wallets can hopefully recover and we can upgrade later as most do. OR, we figure out our interest / fun has been had sooner than we expected and we sell it and move on glad that we didn't invest more than we did.

So yes, new is best at first.. But if the budget just isn't there, and it barely gets the job done.. So be it. I will certainly take it. Right now I'm wishing I would have just gone with beat up and run the damn thing around the track. I miss the track.. I would pay extra in the long run for the track now. sigh.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:17 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95ONE
Well, there are budgets and we all have our point of diminishing returns. Un-fortunately the cost of admission is usually too high, so many take less than the best to get our projects running and run hopefully a small calclulted gamble. Many win (according to their perceived shelf life of parts) and some lose right away. But for the joy of the year (or more) of track days it gets us, its worth the gamble. It's always better to start out new and completely sure of your parts, but if old and used gets us out on the track for a little bit, (even if it costs more in the long run) then our wallets can hopefully recover and we can upgrade later as most do. OR, we figure out our interest / fun has been had sooner than we expected and we sell it and move on glad that we didn't invest more than we did.

So yes, new is best at first.. But if the budget just isn't there, and it barely gets the job done.. So be it. I will certainly take it. Right now I'm wishing I would have just gone with beat up and run the damn thing around the track. I miss the track.. I would pay extra in the long run for the track now. sigh.
All of your points are valid. It just comes down to you personally and what your goals are. If your goal is to get it done without hitting the wallet you do what you gotta do. I will say this though, I was just a porsche meet a few months ago filled with some brand new 951 owners and some senior ones and the general census was always the same. Ultimately, I beat the freggin **** out of my cars whatever they are. When they break I make them better then new. That philosophy has served me well and while I might pay more on the front end I have piece of mind at the end of the day. God forbid something does go wrong it's someone else's dick in the bender not mine.

My lindsey setup made 300rwhp on the 26/6 and I beat the **** out of it for years and never had so much as a hiccup. My last vitesse setup ran like a StrekStrekStrekStreking champ and I'm willing to bet I would have been able to beat the **** out of that setup for years to come too if I hadn't of had the accident.

Too bad it never got a chance to dyno. On 18psi it sure pulled well for what it was.

Quick Reply: 951 LS1 dyno tune video