Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

951 LS1 dyno tune video

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 03:16 PM
DVC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
I gotta be honest, with everything involved in doing the swap I could never see myself buying a motor that's 10 years old.
You are completely right John. I'll never understand why people are still swapping the GenIII LS1/LS6 in their 944. It just doesn't deliver for the price of the complete swap.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:04 PM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by docwyte
The LS6 heads are substantially better than the LS1 heads. The LS6 has a bigger intake manifold and throttle body as well and I believe has more compression...
I wouldn't say "substantially". I've seen people who swapped and picked up an honest 15rwhp from the 243 (LS6) heads. That's not bad at all, but compared to an aftermarket cylinder head like the Trick Flows they definitely aren't a substantial improvement. A set of ported 243's would be worth it though.

Also, the '01+ LS1's come stock with the LS6 intake and i believe the TB is the same. The MAF is different on the LS6. The LS6 block has internal windowing that supposedly decreases windage, but how that translates to the real world hasn't been readily apparent.

I'd spend the extra money on an LS6 if i were picking up a new crate motor, but i don't think anybody is going to be disappointed if they go LS1.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:10 PM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DVC
You are completely right John. I'll never understand why people are still swapping the GenIII LS1/LS6 in their 944. It just doesn't deliver for the price of the complete swap.
Because the LS2 is hardly any better than the LS1, and the LS3 is prohibitively expensive at this time.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:56 PM
DVC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LS1Porch
Because the LS2 is hardly any better than the LS1, and the LS3 is prohibitively expensive at this time.
You sound like the LT1 guys did a few years ago.

I think the fact that you seem content with your 340whp, shows that we're coming from two completely different places. The white wheels also give that away No need to argue or discuss it further. I am very glad you're happy with it! That is what the conversion is all about.

But, I can offer an alternate opinion for the people who are in the planning stages of their swap...I know too many people who have done the conversion who weren't satisfied with the LS1. Not that they were unhappy with the car, but they were expecting more performance for the total cost. I've also driven and tuned enough swaps back to back to know that the LS2 is LOT more than "hardly any better". I would recommend to anybody doing the conversion today to start with a Gen IV. The 4" bore opens up a whole new world of options.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:58 PM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DVC
You sound like the LT1 guys did a few years ago.

I think the fact that you seem content with your 340whp, shows that we're coming from two completely different places. The white wheels also give that away No need to argue or discuss it further. I am very glad you're happy with it! That is what the conversion is all about.

But, I can offer an alternate opinion for the people who are in the planning stages of their swap...I know too many people who have done the conversion who weren't satisfied with the LS1. Not that they were unhappy with the car, but they were expecting more performance for the total cost. I've also driven and tuned enough swaps back to back to know that the LS2 is LOT more than "hardly any better". I would recommend to anybody doing the conversion today to start with a Gen IV. The 4" bore opens up a whole new world of options.
340whp? I don't know where you got that number, but i would bet i'm in the 380-390 range right now with just a mild cam. About 2 years ago i made 345rwhp at 5700rpms because i had a 2.5" air intake. That and a few dozen other things have been sorted now. Who are these "too many people" that have been disappointed in their LS1's?

A whole new world of options? Yeah, right.
You could put some factory cylinder heads from an L92 on it, and that's about it. The LS2 intake isn't as good as the late LS1/LS6 intake. As-cast aftermarket heads (TFS, AFR, Dart, etc.) or ported 5.3/LS6 heads will outflow any factory cylinder head you can bolt on to the LS2's bore and make more than enough power to keep anyone in a 944 happy.

I'm glad you're happy with your LS2, but don't go fooling yourself--it's just an LS2. It has a few minor differences from the LS1 and an extra .3 liters. Just about anyone who buys an LS1 is going to change the oil pump and timing chain, so there goes half the difference already. It wasn't worth the extra $1k for an LS2 to me. It's definitely no LS3, 7, or 9.

Last edited by LS1Porch; 12-21-2010 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:08 PM
VOoDOoGTX
Drifting

cast dosent weigh that much more. its definitely not worth the extra 1500k youll waist on a LS1
Old 12-21-2010, 07:53 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 345 Posts

Cast weighs enough more that most of us are more than willing to spend the additional money on an LS1
Old 12-21-2010, 08:55 PM
DVC
Burning Brakes

It wasn't worth the extra $1k for an LS2 to me.
You should drive one sometime. If you're ever in this area you can drive mine. Just be careful with that extra power!
Old 12-22-2010, 01:00 AM
Rene
Racer

eclou I see that your in Houston. Were you planning to race the car or DE with it?
Old 12-22-2010, 01:48 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by Rene
eclou I see that your in Houston. Were you planning to race the car or DE with it?
I can answer that for you.. YES. He will be there. I will hopefully be out there with Him. If my 3 liter blows.. I will have an L33 waiting to go in also. I'm pickin one up Friday. BUT. .. the 3.0 turbo. will be in full force... FIRST.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:13 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 597 Posts

Originally Posted by Rene

Rene Viking is going to setup the car for race. I doubt I will ever race competitively, just track days
Old 12-22-2010, 03:00 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
Tony, have you checked what an LS1 crate costs from them? I guess I could give them a shout, they are just across town. Curious if there is a big price difference between going LS1 vs LS6. Obviously you would eat a few hundred bucks changing to an LS6 intake, but what else is different between the two engines? Heads I assume will flow more. I am on the fence and about to fall off at this point. Tired of putting 2.5L engines in the track car, lol.

1. ... that price is for a long block. You still have to get your own intake/fuel rail/injector setup and a Camaro or TransAM front accessory setup.

2. There is a lot more that's different besides the cylinder heads between a LS1 and LS6. These are:

a) compression ration is 1/2 point higher in the LS6

b) the LS6 has sodium filled exhaust valves and hollow stem stainless intake valves (which are taller too)

c) heads flow considerably more on the intake side and a lot more on the exhaust side (different shaped exhaust port) on the LS6

d) far better PCV system on the LS6 (block based vs valve cover based)

e) far better cylinder-to-cylinder breathing (lower pumping losses)

f) full windage tray on the LS6 vs 3/4 windage tray on the LS1

g) LS6 has bigger cam

h) (the other small things I missed...)

3) The LS1, while a complete engine vs a long block, costs more!

When you can get a LS6 long block for this price (with a warranty)... there's no reason to consider a used, 7+ year old LS1.

You can source a LS6 intake from various forums complete with the stock fuel rails and injectors. Aftermarket larger throttle bodies are plentiful.

TonyG
Old 12-22-2010, 03:02 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
Cast weighs enough more that most of us are more than willing to spend the additional money on an LS1
Agreed.

The difference is big. Too big to ignore on a car that is supposed to handle the way a 944 should.

TonyG
Old 12-22-2010, 01:50 PM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DVC
You should drive one sometime. If you're ever in this area you can drive mine. Just be careful with that extra power!
An extra 50 horsepower? Forgive me for not being ecstatic.

How much did that extra 50 horsepower cost you? Think you got a good deal, $ per horsepower?
Old 12-22-2010, 02:10 PM
2bridges
Drifting

An extra 50 horsepower? Forgive me for not being ecstatic.

How much did that extra 50 horsepower cost you? Think you got a good deal, $ per horsepower?
WOW - may want to check yourself LS1Porch.

A fellow lister offered you driving his car and you just respond like nothing less than an *******.

nice

Quick Reply: 951 LS1 dyno tune video