More Poor Man's Octane Research - LOL

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 03:55 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by toddk911
hey!!

I was just in O Town. The family went down for Thanksgiving. I saw 1 red 951on I 4.

I went by Redbone on the FRI after Thanksgiving but they were closed.

If I was still in Orlando E85 would be available but not up here where I am at now.
Clubsport wheels? If so that might have been me...

And the only place I know to get E85 is Turkey Lake Service Plaza? Know of any other places around here? Not that I need it, yet.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:11 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott H
Clubsport wheels? If so that might have been me...

And the only place I know to get E85 is Turkey Lake Service Plaza? Know of any other places around here? Not that I need it, yet.
Yes, I am pretty sure. I thought it might be you but wasn't sure. Thats wierd.lol

Yes, the turkey lake plaza. But that was about 15-20 min from my house in Apopka and close to my office in metro west. Now the closest place is 60+ miles away.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:00 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by catfish
Just to be clear - Naptha is a mixture (not a molecule or even a 'chemical' really) of compounds. It contains a fair amount of toluene, xylene and similar molecules as well as lots of heavier alkanes. Seems to me that naptha is essentially like buying pump gas with toluene and xylene already added.

Napthalene is a molecule, very similar to toluene, that is a component of naptha.
From Wiki:

"Related aromatic hydrocarbons to toluene: benzene, xylen
naphthalene.

Toluene: C7H8
Xylene: C8H10
Napthalene: C10H8

So we know T is 114 octane, and X is 117 so based on the formulas would N be even higher than 117?
Old 12-01-2010, 10:45 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

please remember that the "paint thinners" have NO lubricant in them. If you are going to run them, add 1 oz of marvel mystery oil per 3-4 gallons of "octane booster". Your cylinder walls will thank you as your mileage adds up.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:15 AM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by toddk911
Yes, I am pretty sure. I thought it might be you but wasn't sure. Thats wierd.lol
Might have been me, I took I trip up and down I-4 either thurs. or fri. last week to make sure my shifter was nice and snug (almost lost the bolt that secures the front to back motion, eek). I spent most of the rest of the weekend tooling around in my new-to-me C5 It's weird being able to drop down to second gear on the highway and go blasting past people upto 80+ish mph before shifting to third, that's if I even shift out of 6th to make a pass. Gotta love those V8s.

A lot of my modding money has been diverted into the C5 (cheaper fun/$$$ than the porsche, by a lot...), so my 951 modding/improvement is going to lag on for a while... oh well, life could be worse, right?
Old 12-02-2010, 12:57 AM
prossi
Instructor

just mix some moonshine/grain alcahol in your tank you can then get drunk with what you have left over
Old 12-02-2010, 09:09 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scott H
Might have been me, I took I trip up and down I-4 either thurs. or fri. last week to make sure my shifter was nice and snug (almost lost the bolt that secures the front to back motion, eek). I spent most of the rest of the weekend tooling around in my new-to-me C5 It's weird being able to drop down to second gear on the highway and go blasting past people upto 80+ish mph before shifting to third, that's if I even shift out of 6th to make a pass. Gotta love those V8s.

A lot of my modding money has been diverted into the C5 (cheaper fun/$$$ than the porsche, by a lot...), so my 951 modding/improvement is going to lag on for a while... oh well, life could be worse, right?
Sounds like its time for one of the twin turbo rear mount kits for the C5!

http://ststurbo.com/
Old 12-02-2010, 09:10 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by prossi
just mix some moonshine/grain alcahol in your tank you can then get drunk with what you have left over
Just take the 15% gasoline out of E85 and that is what you got.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:28 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Well, in doing more research, (I just like learning about this stuff , I found this info. The core of actane is its anti knock ability (iso-octane & heptane), i.e. auto ignition temperature. Being forced induction motors compressions of the fuel and its likelyhood of auto ignite or obviously crucial.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/fu...res-d_171.html

Fuel or Chemical Temperature Auto-Ignition Temperature

Degrees F

Acetone 869
Isopropyl Alcohol 750
Methyl Alcohol 725
Naphtha 1022
Toluene 849
Xylene 867
Old 12-02-2010, 02:09 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

"Petroleum ether, also known as benzine, VM&P Naphtha, Petroleum Naphtha"

"Petroleum ether is obtained from petroleum refineries as the portion of the distillate which is intermediate between the lighter naphtha and the heavier kerosene. "

"Naphtha is the root of the word naphthalene. The second syllable of "naphtha" can also be recognised in phthalate.

"It also enters the word napalm from "naphthenic acid and palmitic acid"

Napalm???? I love the smell of napalm in the morning......smells like.....horsepower.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:44 PM
catfish
Rennlist Member

I'm no expert on fuels, but I wonder if just dumping a bunch of xylene into your gas has unintended consequences. Gas is more than just octane rating - the amount of energy contained in each molecule, ability to vaporize and the amount of oxygen required for a clean burn all seem like they would matter too. Xylene/toluene/napthalene all have much fewer hydrogen atoms per carbon than, say, iso-octane, so this might throw your air to fuel ratio out of whack. It would be a shame to turn up the boost, accidentally run lean and blow up your motor. I could also see ruining your catalytic converter pretty quick (if you still have one) Anybody know about this?
Old 12-02-2010, 02:51 PM
catfish
Rennlist Member

Aromatics like xylene tend to burn really sooty too, so carbon deposits may be a problem.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:56 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by catfish
I'm no expert on fuels, but I wonder if just dumping a bunch of xylene into your gas has unintended consequences. Gas is more than just octane rating - the amount of energy contained in each molecule, ability to vaporize and the amount of oxygen required for a clean burn all seem like they would matter too. Xylene/toluene/napthalene all have much fewer hydrogen atoms per carbon than, say, iso-octane, so this might throw your air to fuel ratio out of whack. It would be a shame to turn up the boost, accidentally run lean and blow up your motor. I could also see ruining your catalytic converter pretty quick (if you still have one) Anybody know about this?
Yes, they have a higher carbon per hydrogen atom content, which is why they carry a higher octane rating respectively, toluene, xylene and napthalene as each one has an additional carbon atom. Carbon has a very high anti knock/auto ignition level.

Actually, gasoline's octane as we know it is derived from the addition of tolune to our gas at the refinery so there is no harm in adding any more, up to about a 30% mix. I.e. the only difference in 87 octane and 93 octane is just more toluene was added. Ski is an expert in that field and can add in some on that process I'm sure.

Gasoline/petrol, was actually called "naptha" back in the day in other countries. As mentioned by another poster here naptha is basically a blend of xylene, toluene, napthalene, petroleum distilates and some other aromatic hydrocarbons. Also, X, T, and N all derive from benzene. The defference in anti knock usage being light naptha vs. heavy naptha.

Good point about atomization of the fuel which is greatly aided by the addition of small quantities of acetone, a close "cousin" of the pre mentioned aromatics and a common component in off the shelf octane boosters, etc.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:58 PM
catfish
Rennlist Member

I don't want to be a jerk, but much of the language you're using is somewhat incorrect, and may cause confusion. So for clarity:

Yes, they have a higher carbon per hydrogen atom content, which is why they carry a higher octane rating respectively, toluene, xylene and napthalene as each one has an additional carbon atom. Carbon has a very high anti knock/auto ignition level.
Toluene (C7H8) has one more carbon atom than benzene (C6H6), xylene (C8H10) has one more carbon atom than toluene, but napthalene (C10H8) has two more carbons than xylene but less hydrogen. I think the phrase "carbon has a very high anti know/auto ignition level" is meaningless. I believe it is more accurate to say "Unsaturated compounds (toluene, xylene, etc), highly branched alkanes (iso-octane) and alcohols have high anti knock/auto ignition levels". n-octane has just as many carbons as xylene but an octane rating of -10. So it's the branching and unsaturation that matters.

Also, X, T, and N all derive from benzene.
Xylene, Toluene and Napthalene are all similar to benzene, but not derived from it. It makes sense that higher levels of these compounds are what makes the difference in higher octane fuels to a degree. But I wonder if when you're adding toluene to 93 octane pump gas if you might go over the 30% limit you cite. At some point you may have to start adding methanol for it's higher octane rating and to prevent a very sooty burn. The contents of the octane boosters seem to support this. Like I said, there is more than just octane rating and the people who blend race gas might just know better than we do.

Sorry if this is annoying, but I think accurate language helps in these matters.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:02 PM
catfish
Rennlist Member

Also, no one would call acetone a cousin of aromatics. It's a very different sort of molecule.

Quick Reply: More Poor Man's Octane Research - LOL