Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

New Mobil 1 Racing Oil with "Double the Zinc"

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 10:16 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by beentherebaby
I merely pointed out a commentary by Ryan Stark of Blackstone labs. I did not make any comments on the article. Everyone is free to draw their own conclusions.
...-ish...

Some people might infer that this one subjective report that touts itself as being Scientific is therefore gospel. It's neither.
That's why I included the link to a thread on Pelican where people that work on these cars discussed the same report.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:23 PM
beentherebaby
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Without a proper engineering study on the quantity of ZDDP/zinc actually required for a given application, what alternative anti-wear additives would deliver similar performance and how current SM or low zinc/phosphorous oils perform on specific flat tappet cams, it's all speculation.

My understanding of the article is that Ryan Stark was reporting his results and that he invited others to conduct their own tests.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:05 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Yes that's fair enough however the issue I, and people who are way more experienced than me, have is that if someone who knows even less than me reads a report that is labelled Scientific that suggests ZDDP is quite possibly not important to the survival of our type of motors under heat and pressure and therefore puts an incorrect oil in their motors that subsequently blows up....who is going to pay for that??? You, Ryan Stark, Blackstone labs.....thought not....

I know you're smart enough to distance yourself from this by saying that you put it there for people to make up their own minds, but these type of 'reports' can be misleading. I suggest anyone who reads that report also read the links to the Pelican thread to see what in the field experts say about it.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:14 AM
beentherebaby
Racer

^^^^ Do you believe everything you read on the internet? I mean really...

As I said without proper engineering tests, it's all speculation by all parties involved.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:33 PM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 964 Posts

like everything else in this world and some members here anyone who has enough test data and you can make anything sound good thats why i thought i would e-mail porsche NA and mobil corp. and both of their responses were 0w-40 so please bang your head or mine on that
Old 11-29-2010, 02:02 PM
manticore33
Racer

Originally Posted by NYPOWR4
like everything else in this world and some members here anyone who has enough test data and you can make anything sound good thats why i thought i would e-mail porsche NA and mobil corp. and both of their responses were 0w-40 so please bang your head or mine on that
Because it is about marketing? You have to consider most car manufactures only care about your car through the lease/warranty period. After that, they want you to buy a new car. We are not doing Porsche any favors by keeping around our old water pumpers.

Take BMW for example. BMW has gone to long-life oils (15k mile changes) and even going to the extent of saying some "fluids" (transmission, differential) are "lifetime fill." Or the dreaded run-flat tires on new cars so they can eliminate the spare. Look at other car manufactures too, do they always recommend the absolute best?

All manufactures engineer their products to a set standard and life expectancy. Anything beyond that is an absolute bonus. If Mobile 0-40w will run the car for the Porsche intended life of 100k miles with no failures, they will recommend it. If at 105k miles the car self-destructs, so be it, the anticipated life of the product was 100k miles and they met that target.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:21 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by beentherebaby
^^^^ Do you believe everything you read on the internet? I mean really...

As I said without proper engineering tests, it's all speculation by all parties involved.
Certainly not. Especially some of the stuff you post. You're supposedly someone that has built 'world record breaking' motors, whatever that means?? Maybe they broke in world record time? You don't qualify yourself or your background, yet drop little bombs here and there from atop the mount. Where I quote people that put their name to their posts/threads and back it up with many years in the field working on our cars. It's about time you laid a little bit on the line rather than continuously obfuscate and evade.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:23 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by manticore33
Because it is about marketing? You have to consider most car manufactures only care about your car through the lease/warranty period. After that, they want you to buy a new car. We are not doing Porsche any favors by keeping around our old water pumpers.

Take BMW for example. BMW has gone to long-life oils (15k mile changes) and even going to the extent of saying some "fluids" (transmission, differential) are "lifetime fill." Or the dreaded run-flat tires on new cars so they can eliminate the spare. Look at other car manufactures too, do they always recommend the absolute best?

All manufactures engineer their products to a set standard and life expectancy. Anything beyond that is an absolute bonus. If Mobile 0-40w will run the car for the Porsche intended life of 100k miles with no failures, they will recommend it. If at 105k miles the car self-destructs, so be it, the anticipated life of the product was 100k miles and they met that target.
+1
Old 11-29-2010, 07:42 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

OK I must be missing something here but why do so many people put an "e" on the end of Mobil? You see it in almost any oil thread.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:20 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

I have to laugh every time I see this M1 subject pop up. I don't give a rats a$$ what Porsche or any other source says today about 0W-40 or other 'miracle oils working in every Porsche since Moses' drove one. I have seen what lower viscosity oils (synthetic or dino) do to oil pressures after a hot run on a hot day. This is a 25 YO performance engine that is prone to catastrophic lubrication problems under heavy loads. There are just too many of us that have had bad experiences with lighter oils than 20W-50, especially in real hot climates. Why even take the chance when there are so many excellent oils made in the grades recommended originally by Porsche? YMMV
Old 11-29-2010, 10:01 PM
manticore33
Racer

Originally Posted by mikey_audiogeek
OK I must be missing something here but why do so many people put an "e" on the end of Mobil? You see it in almost any oil thread.
Because I like to be mobile. After the fact, I caught myself on that one. It's the company's fault for not spelling "mobil" correctly. And, probably, because mobile is such a common word that it cannot be trademarked.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:37 PM
carreracoupe997
Racer

+1 on the Joe Gibbs oil
Old 11-30-2010, 01:35 AM
spanky
Rennlist Member

Received 712 Likes on 496 Posts

I use the Mobil 1 15/50 Twin V motorcycle oil in the 911s, the 240z and the 951. Have been for the past 4 years and am very happy so far. Lots of ZDDP present for max protection and it can withstand high temps without thinning and coking up. I have on many a hot day had 300 deg F oil pan temp in the Z car with no problem at all.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:10 AM
spanky
Rennlist Member

Received 712 Likes on 496 Posts

I stand corrected, Mobil 1 V Twin oil is 20/ 50, not 15/50 as I wrote above.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:21 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kuhl, you should be aware that a 0W-50 has exactly the same viscosity as a 20W-50 at running temp. The 0W vs the 20W just says how thick a multigrade oil gets when cold. And given that oils are always *thinner* (i.e., lower viscosity) as they warm up, running a 0W-50 oil is *always* going to have a viscosity no lower than 50 (unless you happen to be running an oil that *thickens* as it warms up, of course. )

In short, you can safely ignore the first number (unless you are living in a cold climate). The second number, however is critical. I think one of the few uncontroversial things regarding oil is that anything -30 is unsuitable for our cars. These cars need a 40 or 50 weight oil.

Last edited by Mark944na86; 11-30-2010 at 05:31 AM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: New Mobil 1 Racing Oil with "Double the Zinc"