Downpipe stud size and pitch?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 09:10 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Downpipe stud size and pitch?

Hey Guys,

Need some quick help. I need to pull my exhaust over the weekend to (hopefully) repair a damaged turbo downpipe stud and need to pick up replacement nuts today.

Since I just moved houses, my copper nuts are packed neatly away where I can't find them, as are all of my manuals and car info.

Can anyone tell me the stud diameter and thread pitch?

Thanks in advance,
Jerome
Old 11-19-2010, 09:42 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

M10x25 (should be M10x1.25, but I could be wrong) stud, pelican has em for $4.25 each. P/N 900 081 052 02, nuts are P/N 999 085 002 01 and ar $34 each.. IIRC Lindsey has em for much less..

Lindsey sells the studs for $3.99 each, and nuts for $7.99
Paragon has the entire hardware kit for $42.. but it doesn't come with studs

Studs and nuts are the same for the turbine outlet and downpipe flange!

Hope this helps..
Old 11-19-2010, 11:35 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
M10x25 (should be M10x1.25, but I could be wrong) stud, pelican has em for $4.25 each. P/N 900 081 052 02, nuts are P/N 999 085 002 01 and ar $34 each.. IIRC Lindsey has em for much less..

Lindsey sells the studs for $3.99 each, and nuts for $7.99
Paragon has the entire hardware kit for $42.. but it doesn't come with studs

Studs and nuts are the same for the turbine outlet and downpipe flange!

Hope this helps..
Thanks John.
I was thinking they were M10 but wasn't sure of 1.25 or 1.5 pitch. I didn't think of checking the suppliers websites. I was just going to pick up some stainless nuts from the hardware store.

I have 1 stud w/ a damaged thread on the end and I couldn't get a nut started on it when I replaced my clutch over the winter. I'm going to try repairing the threads before looking to replace the stud.

Thanks,
Jerome
Old 11-19-2010, 01:07 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jerome951
Thanks John.
I was thinking they were M10 but wasn't sure of 1.25 or 1.5 pitch. I didn't think of checking the suppliers websites. I was just going to pick up some stainless nuts from the hardware store.

I have 1 stud w/ a damaged thread on the end and I couldn't get a nut started on it when I replaced my clutch over the winter. I'm going to try repairing the threads before looking to replace the stud.

Thanks,
Jerome
Well, if you are just going to get the nuts at teh hardware store, spend the extra $3 and get both 1.25 and 1.5 thread pitch, that way you only go there once.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:13 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Well, if you are just going to get the nuts at teh hardware store, spend the extra $3 and get both 1.25 and 1.5 thread pitch, that way you only go there once.
Was planning to if they have both sides.

Oddly, the stud was damaged sometime after it was assembled previously. When I went to change my clutch, one of the nuts would spin on the end of the stud but wouldn't come off. I had to cut the nut off (it was copper). Not easy to do with such little space in there. Upon reassembly, couldn't get a nut started. Kinda strange. At that point I was several weeks into my clutch drama and just wanted to get the car drivable again.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:47 PM
Joe Jackson
Pro

They are definitely M10 x 1.5mm. If you need to remove the old studs, you'll want to get them very hot before attempting to unscrew them. Preferably red hot otherwise they'll just snap off (BTDT). I've done the heating trick with the pipe out of the car and all three came out cleanly. It might be very tricky with the pipe in the car. Removal would require gaining access to the turbo to unbolt it, something you might not be so keen on doing if your car is back together after doing the clutch.

If you need help sourcing the hardware, let me know.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:53 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Originally Posted by Joe Jackson
They are definitely M10 x 1.5mm. If you need to remove the old studs, you'll want to get them very hot before attempting to unscrew them. Preferably red hot otherwise they'll just snap off (BTDT). I've done the heating trick with the pipe out of the car and all three came out cleanly. It might be very tricky with the pipe in the car. Removal would require gaining access to the turbo to unbolt it, something you might not be so keen on doing if your car is back together after doing the clutch. If you need help sourcing the hardware, let me know.
Thanks Joe,

Turns out I didn't have time to tackle it over the weekend but till try over Thanksgiving. Picked up an M10x1.5 nut from Home Depot.

I only have nuts on 2 studs now (both copper so should release cleanly). Once I get this stud repaired and find my stash of copper nuts, I'll replace all 3.

Quick Reply: Downpipe stud size and pitch?