Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

baby steps: finished fuel rail, the first part of a rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 10:02 PM
incomplete
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default baby steps: finished fuel rail, the first part of a rebuild

after letting the paint dry for a week, i was finally at the point where i could put together the first in a long list of things that needed to be done on my car... the fuel rail and other sundry attached items.

i had the injectors rebuilt, and sanded down the rail and dampener. the FPR was also sanded down to remove all of the corrosion on the aluminum, and i did a final polishing with 2000 grit wet/dry paper. i probably could have gotten it super-shiny, but who cares (not me!).

finally. i feel that something's been accomplished!

compare this to how it looked when i pulled it from the car earlier this year:

things are going well. my konis showed up last week, i have a new intercooler and the three-piece crossmember is coming this week. my wiring harness refurb is halfway done and waiting on a shipment of 'painless wiring' heat wraps before finishing. after that, just a couple more big-ticket items to buy (2 piece turbo crossover, 030 front sway bar), and it'll be time to really start the hard work and then put it all together.

more pics, as always, here: http://picasaweb.google.com/incomple...4TurboProject#
Old 11-01-2010, 11:05 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good. I'm guessing you aren't going to put the plastic rail cover back on...Bruce
Old 11-01-2010, 11:22 PM
incomplete
Racer

i might... i'm taking my time w/the rebuild so i may lightly sand down and paint the cover one evening just to see how it comes out. if it looks super nice, and the paint doesn't flake, then i'll use it. otherwise i'll just run w/o a cover.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:21 AM
dirtyTurbo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know of any reason to have the cover other than aesthetics? Ive heard rumors about it protecting against static electricity, but the same was said about the hose coming out off the timing belt cover

That looks really clean by the way!
Old 11-05-2010, 09:39 PM
GreyDog
Rennlist Member

Good question. I just finished polishing my fuel rail, contemplating what to do with mounting the injector harness and whether to use the plastic cover (NLA from Porsche, can it be painted?).

Anyone have pics of good solutions they've used with or without the plastic cover?

On to the cam box polishing tomorrow.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:13 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ihaza944t
Does anyone know of any reason to have the cover other than aesthetics? Ive heard rumors about it protecting against static electricity, but the same was said about the hose coming out off the timing belt cover

That looks really clean by the way!
I would think more along the lines of keeping the fuel injector wiring up, protected and properly routed/angled.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:16 AM
incomplete
Racer

the more i think on it, the more i think the plastic cover is mostly for show. any of the billet aftermarket rails you can buy don't come w/plastic covers.

as for painting, it's definitely doable, but probably a pain in the ***. you'll need to sand off the exterior finish, including around the recessed bit by the porsche lettering, to guarantee the paint sticks.

i'm running mine w/o the plastic. executive decision.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:02 PM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

Looks great...nice job!

Old 11-06-2010, 01:06 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by teamcrossworks
Looks great...nice job!

agreed...nice!