Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Turbo and MAF kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 07:46 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turbo and MAF kit

So I picked up the turbo and MAF today. I have some pictures. The turbo is in really good shape very very little play. It is a powerhaus K27/8 turbo. I also got some Siemens 55 lb injectors, also the guy gave me a AutoThority MAF. I know they are supposedly not good. They guy upgraded to a bigger turbo.

What would need to be done to the car to put this turbo on and run with it besides chips being burned.

Anyways here are the pictures. Could I use my stock j boot and cycling valve with this turbo and what not or would I need to switch to a MBC and a different setup?

How reliable would this setup be? About what RPM would the turbo spool up at?

Last edited by 86 951 Driver; 10-11-2010 at 05:00 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:03 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't use the stock J-Boot, at least not without cutting it.
You can use the cycling valve if your wanting to keep boost stock. You would need the restricted banjo bolt if you want to raise boost with the cycling valve.
The K27/8 should be bolt-on otherwise, and is reliable. Spool up will be a couple hundred RPM later than a K26/8.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:51 PM
elargentino
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 86 951 Driver
So I picked up the turbo and MAF today. I have some pictures. The turbo is in really good shape very very little play. It is a powerhaus K27/8 turbo. I also got some Siemens 55 lb injectors, also the guy gave me a AutoThority MAF. I know they are supposedly not good. They guy upgraded to a bigger turbo.

What would need to be done to the car to put this turbo on and run with it besides chips being burned.

Anyways here are the pictures. Could I use my stock j boot and cycling valve with this turbo and what not or would I need to switch to a MBC and a different setup?

How reliable would this setup be? About what RPM would the turbo spool up at?

Why did you not get the chip?
That is a very important element.
APE made 3 different sensors for the 944 turbo - now you have a guessing game of which output you will have.
Can you get the chip?
Old 10-10-2010, 11:19 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Peel off the autothority label on top the and it should say which calibration it is. Should be a pro flow unit

edit - I wouldn't worry about the chips. APE kits were made for stock cars if i'm not mistaken. With different turbo and injectors you'd need a custom tune either way. You can find the calibration of the unit, figure out what boost you plan to run and email one of the chip tuners to tune it all for you.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:28 AM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Any idea on reliability of this setup my car is daily driven? Are the authority MAF's any good? How do they handle temp changes. I heard their chips sucked, but are their MAF's okay with a good chip set like Lindsey's. Would I need any other supporting mods to bolt this stuff up? Like a new wastegate or anything. My car is 100% stock. Will the turbo work correctly with the stock cycling valve and what not. I only ask this because I just bought a brand new one when doing my vacuum lines because I broke it.

How much power would the car make on 10 PSI? Besides the banjo bolt there isn't a way to let the cycling valve make more boost?

I don't have the banjo bolt. The guy who I got this stuff from(also the person I bought the car from) said that he thought there were chips in the box for me, but in reality they were biggers injectors.

He told me to talk to Dave Lindsey and see what I should do.

Also from my research it seems that this turbo is really laggy? Is that true. My car is stock now. I will be putting on a cat bypass soon.

Last edited by 86 951 Driver; 10-11-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:41 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

The autothority MAF is actually very good and compensates nicely for changes in temps and also mods. The problem is the chips that need to be programed for the injector size and fuel pressure selected.
You can keep the cycling valve and you should also get (if you don't already have) the KLR chip from autothority, which changes the duty cycle of the cycling valve. Different restrictor sizes in the banjo bolt determine max boost.
Stock wastegate is okay, but maybe add a 3mm shim (again adjust banjo restrictor for max boost).
Power at 10 psi will be only very slightly more than with your stock turbo. It's the ability for the k27/8 to flow more air at higher boost and higher RPMs where the power is realized.
The best supporting mod is freeing up the exhaust (and possibly separate pipe for wastegate exhaust)
This will increase max power and spool-up could be even better than stock.
Definitely get an aftermarket boost gauge and an AFR meter.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:54 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

As stated above I don't have the restrictor for the banjo bolt or the AutoThority chips. I heard they are not good. Sounds like I may put this turbo one as well as my cat bypass. I can't decided whether to keep the MAF or not. You are the first person to say that it works well.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:23 AM
IanM
Burning Brakes

I've never run an APE MAF, but have also heard that they are of high quality.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:30 AM
1987Porsche944WithRealLongName
Racer

I've only heard scary stories about that stuff... Autothority running extremely rich or extremely lean and blowing things up, the turbo lagging like hell and making the same power as the #6 hotsided versions but only higher up in the rev range, etc.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:50 AM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

most complain about the APE tune. the unit itself should be as good as any other.

get a lindsey boost enhancer to sub for the banjo bolt.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:26 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Okay so I called Lindsey Racing today and they said they could burn me a chip for the Autothority MAF along with K27/8 turbo, and bigger injectors. I could either have the chips burned to be used with stock boost or I could change to a MBC. I'm not sure what to do. The cycling valve is basically brand new.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:40 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Mo Boost, Mo Better.

I would run 1 bar (14.5psi)... good safe number.

If you don't have a wideband, take it for a couple dyno pulls to verify your AFR is safe.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:41 PM
minho78
Burning Brakes

Okay so I called Lindsey Racing today and they said they could burn me a chip for the Autothority MAF along with K27/8 turbo, and bigger injectors. I could either have the chips burned to be used with stock boost or I could change to a MBC. I'm not sure what to do. The cycling valve is basically brand new.
Ask them to burn you a chip for 15 PSI. I think you be happy for street use.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:54 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

My main dilemma is. I spent a few $$$ on a new stock jboot along with cycling valve. If I put this turbo and what not on then I will not be using it and I can't just return that stuff. I would like to run more boost with the bigger turbo and what not though. I don't know if this stuff is daily driver reliable either?

Would it be better to get Vitesse MAF chip so that I could run any boost I want? Or is that not how it works?

Also say I want to move up to a better MAF later then I will have chips reburned or something.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:02 PM
Richgreenster
Burning Brakes

My main dilemma is. I spent a few $$$ on a new stock jboot along with cycling valve. If I put this turbo and what not on then I will not be using it and I can't just return that stuff. I would like to run more boost with the bigger turbo and what not though. I don't know if this stuff is daily driver reliable either?

Would it be better to get Vitesse MAF chip so that I could run any boost I want? Or is that not how it works?

Also say I want to move up to a better MAF later then I will have chips reburned or something.
I do not think that John will separate the chip from his MAF.
If you are going to tinker with misc. parts I would get a good wide band O2 sensor to keep track of what is going on before you blow up or melt your motor.

Quick Reply: Turbo and MAF kit