Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

engine bay heat

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 04:11 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default engine bay heat

Anybody here used reflective thermal blankets instead of sheetmetal reflectors to isolate heat from turbo and/or exhaust manifold?

Idea is to isolate those heat sources and vent them separately, rather than letting their heat accumulate and heat-soak the whole engine bay.

With the engine bay and contents relieved of such heat, intake plumbing would be cooler and intake air colder, as would hoses and belts, etc., hopefully meaning better performance and longer working life for rubber, etc..

Thoughts?
Old 10-06-2010, 11:05 PM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of my "winter" projects is to have my exhaust manifolds and associated plumbing ceramic coated to reduce the heat radiated into the engine compartment. From the research I've done Swain Tech will be doing the coating and the results are worth the effort. IMHO
Old 10-06-2010, 11:21 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I had all my heat shields coated (as well as headers/crossover/turbo/downpipe), and am using adhesive backed thermal barrier between the turbo and manifold (on a homemade heat shield) and also between the crossover and oil pan to help the gasket. Figured it will get pretty hot there and with my set-up, there is slightly less clearance than with the stock set-up in some places.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:28 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

What sort of thermal barrier are you using? I am wondering about reflective thermal blankets or curtains, so won't rattle and absorb rather than make noise. With a bit of ducting, could vent the heat out of the engine bay rather than heatsoak everything else. Maybe make envelopes for the exhaust manifold and for the turbo?
Old 10-08-2010, 03:53 PM
eyeball kid
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pics anyone? Does it make sense to Swain coat stock headers?

Quick Reply: engine bay heat