Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Some helpful tools

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 06:09 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for like 8$ at autozone, you can get a set of 12 pt bits. 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, i believe. They fit into a a socket... i want to say 1/4'' but I'm not sure. Some people say they're too cheaply made and will strip the bolts, but I had no problem removing CV joint bolts with them. Just clean the bolts out with brake cleaner, so there's a nice metal to metal contact, with no gunk inbetween. Wake them up by placing the bit on the head and hitting it with a hammer. And just be careful.

Also managed to remove the 12pt bolts holding the pressure plate with the same set. Only stripped one, and that could have been prevented.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:31 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like you have a 12pt bit for the axles (in your first post). In a later post you mention you'd like to buy a 12pt socket for your axles. So I'm having trouble tracking....

Rennlist is a GREAT place to get the info necessary to keep these old cars running, but you really need to try searching for stuff. There are probably at least 50 threads on the tools required for replacing a turbo (your original question). Another 50 on lisle bits vs snap-on, etc.

I'm sure you're on a budget, so get the tools as you research the next task. The correct answer is "almost every tool made". I'd say you wont need a 36" pipe wrench, but I've never done torsion bars.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:21 AM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

I would rather stay away from Snap On only because they don't just have a store and they are uber expensive. I am looking for some more hand tools that would be helpful for certain projects.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:09 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

So while I have some Snap-On stuff (some I inherited from my dad, some were gifts over the years) if it's my money I'm spending, I usually go Craftsman. Two local Sears stores by me both have pretty good selections of tools. I've broken a few sockets over the years and it's never been an issue getting them replaced, no questions asked.

You can definitely tell the quality difference between Snap-On and Craftsman - I looooooove using my Snap-On ratchets - but really, since I don't work on cars for a living, and don't use/abuse my tools on a daily basis, Craftsman suits me just fine.

One thing I've noticed about Craftsman - sometimes it's cheaper to buy the tools independently instead of buying their "kits". I recently went looking for a set of larger open-end wrenches, and they had a kit of 5 wrenches for $80... or I could buy them individually for like $12/ea.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:28 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some of the best stuff I have I got from pawn shops and for dirt cheap. There are about 4 shops that I check everytime I'm in town (NW side of Indianapolis). Naturally, here close by in St Louis - they are nothing but scams.... Bruce
Old 10-07-2010, 01:31 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Originally Posted by Tedro951
It sounds like you have a 12pt bit for the axles (in your first post). In a later post you mention you'd like to buy a 12pt socket for your axles. So I'm having trouble tracking....

Rennlist is a GREAT place to get the info necessary to keep these old cars running, but you really need to try searching for stuff. There are probably at least 50 threads on the tools required for replacing a turbo (your original question). Another 50 on lisle bits vs snap-on, etc.

I'm sure you're on a budget, so get the tools as you research the next task. The correct answer is "almost every tool made". I'd say you wont need a 36" pipe wrench, but I've never done torsion bars.
I have a 12 point bit not a socket.

Quick Reply: Some helpful tools