Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

backfire

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 10:08 PM
Adam Poland
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, the venturi delete does not delete the ISV. There is a metal pipe underneath the intake manifold. That is the venturi tube, which is what gets deleted. It also deletes the cycling valve (factory boost controller). You will need an aftermarket electric or manual boost controller if you do this.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:43 AM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

People with whom I tracked in 944T's and I used to compare how much flame we could shoot at the track.

The gasoline in the pipes has momentum and, even though the electronic signal changes instantaneously, some gasoline continues flowing because the energy in the flowing gas forces the control open.......flame......
Old 10-01-2010, 01:32 AM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

To the OP, keep in mind though that turbo cars naturally pop and sputter with small amounts of unburnt fuel going out the exhaust. The high heat from the turbo can heat up that fuel to the point of ignition as it exits the back and makes for nice fireworks for the car behind you. So my guess is you're running slightly rich on off-throttle applications. The flames are probably because you're running with no cat.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:52 AM
TheLlamaGod
Instructor

i dont have flames yet. haha. but sometimes my gauge shows im running rich when it usually says nothing on the gauge when decelerating in gear. because it doesnt seem consistent i thought something might be off. then again, im a noob and still learning
Old 10-01-2010, 09:05 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Black51
To the OP, keep in mind though that turbo cars naturally pop and sputter with small amounts of unburnt fuel going out the exhaust. The high heat from the turbo can heat up that fuel to the point of ignition as it exits the back and makes for nice fireworks for the car behind you. So my guess is you're running slightly rich on off-throttle applications. The flames are probably because you're running with no cat.
I'll second this. My car's controls are all stock. When I removed my cat I started getting pops and flames. Pretty cool now that the wastegate isn't tied in any longer and flames occasionally shoot under the car on upshifts.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:44 AM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Mine pops and rumbles very nicely with 3" exhaust and no cat. And yes, I've lit the walls up on exit/on ramps with the flames!
Old 10-01-2010, 11:40 AM
brrgrr
Racer

Flames / backfires are common on cars with no cats when powering through the gears. Either with the factory barndoor or with MAF.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:46 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a straight through exhaust, I have backfiring/flames on fast upshifts, and backfiring on downshifts.

However, check the TPS for proper adjustment. When its adjusted improperly, it will backfire several times when you downshift ( and not engine brake very well ), indicating the DME is still seeing a part throttle signal with the throttle released.

If all that is in order, some backfiring is normal.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:55 PM
Adam Poland
Racer

FLAMES!!! lol
Old 10-01-2010, 06:54 PM
TheLlamaGod
Instructor

Originally Posted by lee101315
I have a straight through exhaust, I have backfiring/flames on fast upshifts, and backfiring on downshifts.

However, check the TPS for proper adjustment. When its adjusted improperly, it will backfire several times when you downshift ( and not engine brake very well ), indicating the DME is still seeing a part throttle signal with the throttle released.

If all that is in order, some backfiring is normal.
thats exactly what mine does. if it was the tps would it happen all the time or could it be just sometimes like with my car.

Quick Reply: backfire