Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Opinion on possible warped block or head?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 04:39 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Opinion on possible warped block or head?

This is a continuation of this thread,

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...ming-from.html

Picture for reference. Blue stuff is hylomar sealant that i laid down to try and isolate where the coolant was coming from.

This really only happens after using liberal amounts of boost. I may get about 1 teaspoon that pools ontop of the block (right by upper balance shaft) after 100 or so miles of spirited driving. If i just drive 'normally' the area still gets a bit wet. Its been doing this for about 4k miles now, or atleast since i noticed it.

I have ruled out mostly everything that could cause coolant to leak in that spot.. coolant outlet waterneck, heater core port on back of head, retorqued waterjacket port on cylinder head...etc.

I am planning out a few things for this winter when i pull the engine and i want to address this external coolant leak while its out also.

I have pressurized the cooling system, but only to about 12 psi and saw no smoking gun. What i am going to do when i get home again in a few weeks is pressurize to 15psi and let it sit overnight.

Now here is my theory on why this is happening. When i did my turbo i flipped the #2 intake gasket (dumb mistake!) and it was upside down for well over 15k miles. I am thinking with the gasket flipped, it may have caused the head gasket to distort due to possibly excess heat or maybe even detonation in that cylinder due to the distorted fuel spray. I think the bores are fine, i did a cold compression test and had between 140-150psi on all 4 cylinders. Not as good as a leakdown i know but i think they are alright.. no excess blowby and the car uses barely 1/2 quart every 4k miles when i do my oil changes.

I am not seeing any other symptoms other than this slight external leakage, my theory is because the head is o-ringed with a widefire gasket, so that is preventing any coolant into the cylinders.

Now i am thinking that its possible as mentioned the gasket simply distorted, or slightly more seriously the cylinder head warped, or even more seriously the block warped? Those are the only reasons i can think of for the coolant leaking externally.

So what do you all think?

A) distorted gasket
B) warped head
C) warped block
D) other?

The decision of whether to buy a spare engine to rebuild is sort of hinging on this. Id like the downtime of the car to be less than a week if possible as i dont want to tie up my friends garage or my other buddies shop while i am waiting for machine work. I am not at all concerned about it being a warped head..not a big deal to find another. But i am concerned about it being warped block as that can lead to alot of downtime waiting on machine work or finding a another good block.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:57 PM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you tried just replacing the head gasket? I once had an oil leak on a drain back area. Head gasket fixed it. Could be a cheap fix except for the labor.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:47 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I am with you. It is probably a bad head gasket. If you didn't overheat it or do any thing else in excess that is more than likely the issue.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:42 PM
running_cold924
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ya, I think i'd try another gasket but I'd definitely use a straight-edge on that block just to be sure its inline...
Old 09-27-2010, 09:30 AM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Use a straight-edge on both the head and the block.

Quick Reply: Opinion on possible warped block or head?