Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

technical turbo question

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 09:46 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default technical turbo question

My car is in the shop having some work done so I decided to have the turbo rebuilt. I have 2 spare 26/8's and decided to rebuild one to bolt straight up. I took the first in and the rebuilder took it apart to find the turbine was shot. So he powdercoated the housing until I took the second turbo in so he could swap inards

When he tried to put the turbine from the second on it he discovered it would not fit in the housing. It turns out both exhaust casings are the same part number however one has a 'flat rear' turbine the other has a 'super' turbine (so he told me) I could see that the 2 were visibly different. (one had a concave rear back plate and a thicker rear oil chanel)

My question is which one is OEM, were there 2 types of OEM or is one modified

PS turns out my blades we damaged, and main thrust bearing was very worn. Cant wait for the next race at SP
Old 09-22-2010, 09:49 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Dan,

Like the avatar. Might want to post up a pix or two for the experts to comment on...
Old 09-22-2010, 10:12 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DanR
My car is in the shop having some work done so I decided to have the turbo rebuilt. I have 2 spare 26/8's and decided to rebuild one to bolt straight up. I took the first in and the rebuilder took it apart to find the turbine was shot. So he powdercoated the housing until I took the second turbo in so he could swap inards

When he tried to put the turbine from the second on it he discovered it would not fit in the housing. It turns out both exhaust casings are the same part number however one has a 'flat rear' turbine the other has a 'super' turbine (so he told me) I could see that the 2 were visibly different. (one had a concave rear back plate and a thicker rear oil chanel)

My question is which one is OEM, were there 2 types of OEM or is one modified

PS turns out my blades we damaged, and main thrust bearing was very worn. Cant wait for the next race at SP
Are you sure you have two 26/8's? is there an 8 stamped / cast into the throat on the hotside inlet? I do not believe there are any PN#s on the hot sides that indicate size ....but I haven't looked at a stock housing in a while.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:17 PM
DanR
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
Are you sure you have two 26/8's? is there an 8 stamped / cast into the throat on the hotside inlet? I do not believe there are any PN#s on the hot sides that indicate size ....but I haven't looked at a stock housing in a while.
Hi

the hotside was exactly the same and had the same stamps on the casing. It ws the cold side which was different
Old 09-22-2010, 11:05 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dan, one of them has been modified... Got any pictures?
Old 09-22-2010, 11:12 PM
DanR
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Dan, one of them has been modified... Got any pictures?
will try and get some but not sure I can get the rebuilt as it has been fully built and mailed to the shop

Quick Reply: technical turbo question