Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Car not starting....

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 03:31 PM
MK_951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car not starting....

hey...I don't know what else to check because I've thought of all possible ways. I just rebuilt my motor so everything is fresh. Bought all new lindsey racing water hoses, vacuum lines, etc. Now the problem is that the car won't turn over. The battery is brand new so that ain't the problem. I can hear that the starter wants to crank over but won't, I just get a thud and thats about it. I've cleaned all my grounds and they are all tight. I turn the key and then I just get the thud. My next move is to remove the spark plugs and hand crank the motor to see if it'll turn, Its a fresh motor so I don't see why it wouldn't. If all else fails, can anyone shoot me some advice?? Thanks!
Old 09-20-2010, 04:06 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try to tap your starter with a hammer. It sounds hoosier but this will tell you if your starter is stuck/failing. I had to do this with my old 924S when its started decided to go out one night.

Basically just get under your car whack your starter with a hammer and then get back in and try to start it. Report back with what happens.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:05 PM
quinnfiske
Pro

I had a similar problem. I found that when I ran a ground wire from the starter heat shield to the body it would start. I cannot explain why it works, but it does.

The heat shield is held to one of the starter studs by a small nut. Directly across are two screws into the body for holding a bracket in place.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:01 AM
MK_951
Instructor

K...well I found out that my motor was a little seized because I cranked it by hand and it was a pain at first but then finally turned. Car is running, now my problem is that the starter needs to be shimmed cause you can hear it spinning, but no connection with the flywheel. Also, big exhaust leak coming from the exhaust manifold. I have brand new gaskets on it and they are all tight...so time to figure out why its like that.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:50 AM
quinnfiske
Pro

If the starter is not engaging, make sure you have the right one. There are other units that look very similar, but differ in important ways.

Quick Reply: Car not starting....