Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Project Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 10:05 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Dude....what kind of shade tree bulk head connector is that.....?

T
Old 10-09-2010, 10:06 PM
951and944S
Race Car

BTW, that's a cool avatar...

T
Old 10-09-2010, 10:35 PM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 951and944S
Dude....what kind of shade tree bulk head connector is that.....?

Haa , It may look ugly, but it is sooo functional. esp since running so many items through the firewall. In the future I do plan to wire in a flying lead harness, and get rid of all the stock harness, but for now I will get everthing installed and use it as a template later.

T
[QUOTE=951and944S;7962068]BTW, that's a cool avatar...

Ya I thought you would like it. Hope to get down there soon, so we can get some real work done on the car.

Steve
Old 10-12-2010, 11:04 PM
951and944S
Race Car

[QUOTE=DrZ1;7962132]
Originally Posted by 951and944S
BTW, that's a cool avatar...

Ya I thought you would like it. Hope to get down there soon, so we can get some real work done on the car.

Steve
Yep, Yep......, benefit is only really when R & Ring the engine.

Well, out of your avatar, two of the cars in the pic are coming out of the darkness of the Bat Cave and leaving for Hallett tomorrow and Thursday, #142 in Phil's stacker and #87 on my trailer behind Eon's truck.

I guess I'll try to find Bret as soon as I get there to get a couple of track pointers since he's signed up for the DE.

Never turned a wheel there, much less raced there yet but we have been checking the track out on RFactor....

Old Frankie is raring to go, just off the 6 hour enduro win...

I'll check in w/ you during the weekend to let you know how the Mardi Gras Region contingent is doing......I think we have two SP2s and three E-class cars making the trip.

T
Old 01-22-2011, 10:26 PM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Getting back on track, hope to have on the road in a few months, with out anymore setbacks. Thought I would update.

Installed LR stage 2 intercooler. Really simple install, with minor modification. Should increase the air flow enough to help the 27/6 breath a bit better.

Rethought the coil packs and placed in a better place. Have mounted on a bracket, with solid rubber vibration mounts to provide vibration and also to provide protection from electrical interference.

Finally started on a better lower mounting bracket for the oil cooler to protect the lower connectors from being bumped from loading on a trailer or a driveway that is too steep, which is easy to find. Pictured is the beginning I need to make a second vertical bracket and have it welded. When the CPR air diffuser hits the lower bracet, the whole oil cooler will move upward since the upper brackets will allow upward flex. Not to pretty but should accomplish what I want, with my limited ability.
Attached Images     
Old 01-27-2011, 11:11 PM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Finished the lower mount of the oil cooler. It will definately protect the oil cooler adapters from being knocked. I added a thicker strip of steel to keep the bracket more rigid.

Next step will be air ducts for brake cooling.
Attached Images   

Last edited by DrZ1; 01-28-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:49 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrZ1

Glad I added the fire wall port, to get the ignition harness though and other harnesses such as Plx device's. Opening is a bit larger then the size of a quarter, and filling up. Working on adding a PLX fluid temp sensor that I will mount in the oil level sender spot.

Steve
You might want to think about getting a grommet on the metal edges of the hole to stop chafing.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...mmetedging.php

You also might think about shock isolation on the oil cooler. They tend to shake apart and start leaking if mounted with solid mounts to the frame
Old 01-27-2011, 11:59 PM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Brian Broderick
You might want to think about getting a grommet on the metal edges of the hole to stop chafing.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...mmetedging.php
Thanks Brian,

I was planning on getting to that, but was not sure what to use. Until now.

Steve
Old 01-28-2011, 12:42 PM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

On to the ducts for brake cooling.

I was looking to mount the following 3.75 x 6 rectangular bumper mounts facing perpendiculaqr to the front of the car, in the place of the plastic pieces. I was going to make some Al plates in thwe same shape to bolt the cooling ducts to.

I wanted to check and see what the thoughts are to have mounted like this and if air flow would be directed off the a/c condensor sideways into the ducts.

thanks
Steve

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/big...asp?RecID=1155
Attached Images   
Old 01-28-2011, 03:39 PM
Max Energy
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Steve,
Call me, Max
225 573-0664
Old 03-14-2011, 10:50 AM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Got a bit further this weekend, Finished up reinstalling the ICV in a different location, mount for plug wires, Wiring PLX and DTA, and a few other things.

I need to finish up the oil cooler lines, so I try and fire up in a few weeks. So have a couple questions.

Included a few update photos, one of which is a pic of the oil rose running under the oil filter. I can easlily rotate the hose, and was uncertain if this was normal or if there is a failure in the crimp??

Also any idea the fitting size and thread pitch of the othe oil fitting that faces the front of the car?

Thanks
Steve
Attached Images     
Old 03-20-2011, 07:04 PM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Finished the oil cooler lines, so next is to start getting ready to fire up the car.

Looking for reccommendations to get the car ready to start.

The engine has not been running for probably 2 years so I would like to make sure it is properly primed. I had ready about people injecting oil in the spark plug holes and turning over a few times.

I was going to run a cheap oil to just flush out any junk that might have gotten introduced, since the car has been idle and open.

Steve
Attached Images   
Old 03-21-2011, 04:19 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks good
Old 04-16-2011, 07:07 PM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Still trying to get down to my mechanics to fire up, but did finish the PLX install. The engine and EMS came w/ the PLX display and AF. I added an oil temp for now and will see what else I may need.

Thought it came out pretty good, I placed in the trim where the rear windsheild washer controller was. If I did it again, I would probaly just put it in the pod where my VDO boost guage is. But I really did not like the display, being a small window in the guage fauce and a few other things.

I just need to read up how to program it. Here are a few images.

Steve
Attached Images   

Last edited by DrZ1; 06-18-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:44 PM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Having issues w/ no spark. I am hopeing that it is a problem with refernce sesnor connector. This setup uses on sensor over the pinned flywheel. Both of the sensors that arrived with the engine were brittle and damaged with the removal. I unfortuately am just now realizing this after peeling back the tape on the boot. So far I have tested and verified power to each coil and have continuity with the ECU harness. I have also checked the ground and 12v pwr to the ecu.

I had a spare harness and while I was there I tried to graft on a good connector to try and start at least but still no spark. May be some othe problems in the harness. Plan to get a new connector w/ pigtail and wire up to the ECU.

Also I may try another verified good refernece sensor as well. But the one in the car was relativly new on my car.

Any thing else that anyone can reccommend to look for??

Thanks
Steve

Quick Reply: Project Thread