Oil Pressure takes long to build when cranking

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 10:41 PM
Maciek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure takes long to build when cranking

When starting up my car, either warm or cold engine, it takes a while (several seconds) for the oil pressure to build. The pressure doesn't hit 5 on the gauge until the engine catches and the revs start.

Other than being slow to build, I don't have problems with the oil pressure. Once the engine starts, my oil pressure is very good.

Is my oil pressure problem a problem? Any ideas as to what could be causing it?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:43 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a bit confusing so clarify; when the engine starts (you have let go of the key), how long before you see oil pressure? If within "onethousandone" you should be fine. If the it's a few seconds AFTER you let go of the key, then two easy things to check: oil filter is draining or the possible debris in or o-ring damage on OPRV. For as much as it is a relief valve, it also stops oil from flowing back.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:24 PM
Maciek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the confusion. I do get full oil pressure within one second of releasing the key. I was under the impression that oil pressure should build when the engine is cranking before it starts. My engine would crank for a few seconds before I release the key, The oil pressure wouldn't fully build until the engine started after I released the key.

Does that make sense?
Old 09-20-2010, 11:10 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Maciek
Sorry for the confusion. I do get full oil pressure within one second of releasing the key. I was under the impression that oil pressure should build when the engine is cranking before it starts. My engine would crank for a few seconds before I release the key, The oil pressure wouldn't fully build until the engine started after I released the key.

Does that make sense?
mine does the same. it seems to be pretty normal.

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure takes long to build when cranking