Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Throw out bearing

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 02:04 PM
MrNasty951
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Throw out bearing

What happens when your throw out bearing lets go? Will the clutch not engage?

thx in advance.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:26 PM
951Saga
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The clutch will not release. Should be able to move through the gears with the motor off, but not able to move from neutral to any gear while its running and clutch peddle pushed to the floor. Will have little resistance when pushing the clutch peddle.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:35 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

The same thing happens when the clutch fork fails from use with stronger pressure plates like the KEP 2 or 3. Sometimes the retainer on the TOB can pop out making the clutch inoperable. Even if the TOB itself fails it will can operate the clutch but be noisy and may spit bearing material all over the place.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:40 PM
MrNasty951
Banned

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
The same thing happens when the clutch fork fails from use with stronger pressure plates like the KEP 2 or 3. Sometimes the retainer on the TOB can pop out making the clutch inoperable. Even if the TOB itself fails it will can operate the clutch but be noisy and may spit bearing material all over the place.
Ok...it appears I have larger problems! Either if I'm lucky my coupler stripped out, or my gearbox is shot! I guess this is what happens when you double the H.P of these cars. My car will go through all the gears with the car running or not.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:31 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Is it making evil noises with the engine running? A failed coupler would sure be nice but they can sound funky when they strip out. You never said what the conditions were when this happened? Is there more to the story?
Old 09-05-2010, 07:47 PM
MrNasty951
Banned

Is it making evil noises with the engine running? A failed coupler would sure be nice but they can sound funky when they strip out. You never said what the conditions were when this happened? Is there more to the story?

I've had some throw-out bearing noise in the bell housing for a little while. keep in mind I rarely drive the car. Yesterday evening I started to head down town D.C with some friends with exotic cars, and once I pulled out on my way from fueling up...it just acted like it popped out of gear,and then nothing...just like that. I was not evan in it, just pulling onto the road... I've not evan crawled under the car yet other then looking at half shafts,and the obvious. I need to jack it up,and pull the plug on the gearbox,and look at the coupler! If thats not it...well lets say there are larger problems...
Old 09-05-2010, 08:01 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Just a thought and I'm sure you have looked but have you checked the shift linkage at the top of the TA yet? This has happened to many people while driving when that retaining bolt backs off...it can feel like it's shifting OK from up front but is stuck in whatever gear it came loose in in your case neutral. It's hard to imagine a pinion gear shearing under what you describe as a low load. So, any noises now?
Old 09-05-2010, 09:20 PM
MrNasty951
Banned

Just a thought and I'm sure you have looked but have you checked the shift linkage at the top of the TA yet? This has happened to many people while driving when that retaining bolt backs off...it can feel like it's shifting OK from up front but is stuck in whatever gear it came loose in in your case neutral. It's hard to imagine a pinion gear shearing under what you describe as a low load. So, any noises now?

Yes there is a chattering noise, I think I have a bad bearing up front,and a noise from rear! The dam car is so loud it is hard to tell?!?
Old 09-05-2010, 10:15 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

If you have someone to help you just work your way from front to back while the rear wheels are off the ground on stands or a frame type lift.

1. With the rear wheels in the air, have them push down the clutch, car out of gear, and see if you can turn the TT shaft with your hand at the engine side of the TA coupling. If it turns the clutch is working and should lock up when released;

2. Put the car in any gear; rotate a drive wheel, if the wheels turn and the TA side of the coupling doesn't then either your CV is sheared, your pinion gear is sheared (or internal TA damage), or your shift linkage isn't working and you are out of gear.

Quick Reply: Throw out bearing