944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Dyno Results

Old 09-07-2010, 10:53 AM
DivineE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent information thank you v.much for that response. I do know what you mean about being able to hang on to a gear when you're really going for it. Now go on, you know you want to splash out on a video camera so we can see that return to the track
Old 09-07-2010, 11:38 AM
asiancaucasian
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's one of the runs from yesterday. Not sure what happened to the AFR for this one. When I get the other chart with the torque I'll post it up.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:13 AM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MM951
Wow, impressive power numbers.... I don't get how some of you guys can put down so much more RWHP than me and the 2 other guys with 60-1s in my area

Because, it's a chassis dyno chart. They're very inconsistant for obtaining power readings and can pretty much made to be read whatever you want them to read; and it doesn't cease to amaze me how people continue to hail them as gospel.
Just can't bite my tongue.
That engine/mods combo can't make that power (real power which is on the same scale as a 247 bhp turbo S).
Sorry
Old 09-08-2010, 12:21 AM
asiancaucasian
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TurboTommy
Because, it's a chassis dyno chart. They're very inconsistant for obtaining power readings and can pretty much made to be read whatever you want them to read; and it doesn't cease to amaze me how people continue to hail them as gospel.
That engine/mods combo can't make that power (real power which is on the same scale as a 247 bhp turbo S).
Sorry
Uh... what are you talking about? If you're talking about an eddy current dyno then yes, the Dyno Dynamics is and yes, it can be fiddled with but I also posted up a dynojet graph which cannot be messed with and it made MORE horsepower... go figure
Old 09-08-2010, 02:06 AM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboTommy
Sorry
Sorry? How do you know it can't make that power? What "scientific" data or facts are you using? Just a "gut" feeling? Funny how racing bodies (JGTC, Nascar, etc.) rely on Dynojet numbers to ensure that cars are running legal. A blind test was done by Sport Compact Car where they took the same car to 3 different Dynojets on the same day. They all recorded power levels that were within a few HP of each other. Like any other measuring device consistency and repeatability prove the value of the unit. If we were to dyno a stock 951 Turbo S on the same day I know it would read much, much lower than Aarons car. For the record, with my 968 Turbo I ran 15 psi and made 418 rwhp on the same dyno. I'm not running the meth/water injection set up and my boost levels are lower but that isn't the point. The point is that the only reason you question Aarons numbers is you don't "believe" his set up can make that kind of power. We just proved that it does. Either that or you don't believe my KMR/Milledge built 968 Turbo with 16 valves, 3.0 displacement and 60-1 Turbo can't make over 400 HP.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:08 AM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

One other thing, Aaron can correct me if I am wrong, but the large dip in the A/F readings is due to the onset of his water/meth injection system. His system is a simple on/off style and that allows him to run a much more aggressive tune than a car running just pump gas.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:05 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

Your injectors must hate you. Have you logged duty cycle during runs?
Old 09-08-2010, 04:29 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SoloRacer
Sorry? How do you know it can't make that power? What "scientific" data or facts are you using? Just a "gut" feeling? Funny how racing bodies (JGTC, Nascar, etc.) rely on Dynojet numbers to ensure that cars are running legal. A blind test was done by Sport Compact Car where they took the same car to 3 different Dynojets on the same day. They all recorded power levels that were within a few HP of each other. Like any other measuring device consistency and repeatability prove the value of the unit. If we were to dyno a stock 951 Turbo S on the same day I know it would read much, much lower than Aarons car. For the record, with my 968 Turbo I ran 15 psi and made 418 rwhp on the same dyno. I'm not running the meth/water injection set up and my boost levels are lower but that isn't the point. The point is that the only reason you question Aarons numbers is you don't "believe" his set up can make that kind of power. We just proved that it does. Either that or you don't believe my KMR/Milledge built 968 Turbo with 16 valves, 3.0 displacement and 60-1 Turbo can't make over 400 HP.
It's easy enough to do some basic calculations that support the fact that these numbers are unlikely. But questioning dyno results usually don't lead anywhere and that's why I'm staying out of this post

I would love to see 1/4 mile trap speed and a 100-200 km/h sprint for that car. That would end all speculations. Trap speed should be around 120 mph and the 100-200 sprint should be a low 7 sec.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:39 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What was the correction factor?
Old 09-08-2010, 05:08 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Well said Duke. We still don't have enough cars doing the 100-200kmh type logs. Me included.
I would like to do mine but now with that exhaust, it's kind of noise pollution on the street.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:27 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Well said Duke. We still don't have enough cars doing the 100-200kmh type logs. Me included.
I would like to do mine but now with that exhaust, it's kind of noise pollution on the street.
Come on now Pat, just slip out after midnight and I'm sure you're able to find an empty road!
Old 09-08-2010, 09:37 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

So here's the basic calculation I was talking about..
Let's calculate the crank hp from 448 rwhp by using 12% driveline losses = 448/0.88 = 509 crank hp.
Think of boost as a multiplier of the engine breathing capacity in N/A form. So next step is to compensate for boost. That is done by dividing crank hp with (atm pressure + boost level) = 509 / (1+1.45 bar) = 208 bhp.

This engine would produce 208 bhp in N/A form? Not likeley.
Remember that only modifications that improve the engine breathing capacity (VE) will let the engine produce more power without changing boost (simplified). That means that regular bolt-ons don't net you more power without upping the boost. However, if done right they will let you run higher boost without loosing efficiency.
And in this case about the only mod improving VE is the exhaust. Even with headers, head work, cam etc it would be hard to reach 200+ bhp in N/A form.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:44 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So how did you go from 412whp on the first post to 442whp on your most recent run you posted?

Was that an altitude correction or did you adjust your tune/boost?
Old 09-08-2010, 11:01 AM
asiancaucasian
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by toddk911
So how did you go from 412whp on the first post to 442whp on your most recent run you posted?

Was that an altitude correction or did you adjust your tune/boost?
No correction, or I don't think there was. Only difference was that I was running 94 octane and it was a different dyno.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:03 AM
asiancaucasian
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
Your injectors must hate you. Have you logged duty cycle during runs?
Haha no, but I'm worried about that as well. Must be very close to max.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dyno Results