Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

transaxle bearings vs TT bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010 | 10:50 AM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default transaxle bearings vs TT bearings?

I am having a slight noise when idling in neutral and it gets louder when you have the clutch pedal pushed in and let it out fast. I think it is either the trans bearings or the torque tube bearings. Is their any way to tell which ones are going bad. I guess it could be the clutch or throw out bearing also. I did measure the clutch wear as per clarks garage and it was about 25mm which is about half warn. Other comments are welcome. And have done some searches. Also, the exhaust seems to be tight.
thanks!
Old 09-01-2010 | 10:53 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 65 Posts

Probably torque tube bearings. In neutral, only the input shaft is spinning in the trans. When tranny bearings go, they're usually the output shaft ones.
Old 09-01-2010 | 11:20 AM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
Probably torque tube bearings. In neutral, only the input shaft is spinning in the trans. When tranny bearings go, they're usually the output shaft ones.
If I replaced the TT bearings, i would also do the trans output bearings. Is there also a trans input bearing? I thought I read somewhere that there is a bearing that is an idle bearing or something like that. The solid trans mount reall amplifies the sound. I looked at clarks garage on how to replace the TT bearings and it looked hard. I am not sure i understand what I would have to do.
Old 09-01-2010 | 12:04 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 65 Posts

Replacing the trans bearings requires that the pre-load and back-lash of the ring and pinion be checked/fixed. It can be time consuming and require some special tools. I wouldn't go after these unless you know they're bad. Even then, it might be easier/cheaper to just get another tranny.

The torque tube bearings can be changed with a long piece of pipe, a sledge hammer, a tape measure, a block of wood and a wall.

Quick Reply: transaxle bearings vs TT bearings?