Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

951 Won't Start: Fuel Pump / Check Valve?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 09:02 PM
traum911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 951 Won't Start: Fuel Pump / Check Valve?

Hi Guys:

Jumped in my Pearl White 951 Friday evening for a quick spin. It had been about 3 weeks since I drove it. Vehicle turned over strongly but wouldn't fire or start. 3 weeks prior when I had started the car after an extended period (probably about 3 weeks as well) the car didn't want to start at first either, but eventually sputtered to life and I ended up putting a healthy 40-50 miles on the car that evening.

I attributed the previous hard start to the possibility of fouled plugs, because the time before that when I started the car it was for a very short time just to pull it in & out of the garage, and it didn't run for long. Not good - I know these cars can be finicky.

Anyway, 'Pearlie' is now on the Disabled List. Obviously checked #34 fuse & relay first. I have checked the Fuel Pump/DME relay by switching the relay out of my 964 (which is the same) and it had no effect, so I know it's not that.

When turning the car to "on," I can't hear the fuel pump or any such sound coming from the rear of the car. I assume a 951, just like all cars, you should be able to hear the fuel pump actuate when it's working correctly. I hear nothing but dead silence from the rear of the car.

I haven't yet been able to jack up the car and have a look under the fuel pump cover, as I have to run to Sears tonight and pick up another floor jack. I destroyed my last one - don't ask.

Anyone have experience with sudden death of their 951 due to failed fuel pump? How about the fuel pump check valve? I know that is supposed to be a "backflow preventer" to hold pressure in the fuel system while the car is not running. Can this check valve in any way malfunction that could seem like a failed fuel pump?

Thanks for any ideas & experiences...

Quick Reply: 951 Won't Start: Fuel Pump / Check Valve?