Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Tire Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 12:13 AM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To the OP;
you mentioned they "feel" better when you went down in pressure.
Everybody has a different definition of what feels better.
Most people just start with factory recommended and then tweak it depending on their preferences and/or type of tire. I don't know if there is a right or wrong, unless of course, the pressures are way out.
Generally:
Higher pressures reduce rolling resistance so technically gas mileage and speed potential should be better (probably barely noticable);
Higher pressures deflect less on the rim and run with lower slip angles; therefore better in cornering situations. I think it's about 40 psi, give or take, where most street tires perform the best in this criteria. It's a trade-off: too much pressure and the tire loses contact patch, and cornering ability gets worse.
Higher pressures result in a harsher ride.
The other way: lower pressures have a softer ride, higher rolling resistance, better straight line traction (think drag cars with their ridiculus low pressures on their drive wheels), but more vague handling in the corners.
What rim size you have is also a big consideration to determine your pressures. I think a wider rim is alot more forgiving and "evens out" the resulting consequences between lower and higher pressures; but we should get a real expert to chime in on that. I think the best comprimise is wide rim (but smaller diameter), which fits a tire with a larger aspect ratio, and you can be pretty liberal with tire pressures and it will always perform well. But, this is unpopular because of the "bling" factor of todays large wheels.

What "feels" good to me is 40 psi in the front and 36 in the back.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:46 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I find the brand and model of tyre affects the optimum tyre pressure settings significantly on the same size tyre, my guess being due to differences in the stiffness of the sidewall. You have to be willing to do a bit of trial and error. If the pressure is too high, everything will rattle and the ride will be harsh -- you'll feel every bump and imperfection on the road. If the pressure is too low, your handling, particularly around corners, will go to hell. The feel will be terrible. You will know.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:27 AM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of my driving has been in the city. Lowering the pressure has made the ride a lot better.. Though i'm thinking of bringing the front pressure up by 1 for a bit better cornering but i'm wondering how bad that will affect understeer.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:15 AM
manticore33
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget the factory 36lbs is when the tire is cold (yet to be driven on). I think pressure goes up by or down by about 1 lbs for every 10 degree change in ambient air temperature.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:54 PM
MooreBoost
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

32psi. sometimes at the track ill drop them to 30psi and when im done with my run they will be like at 36-38psi
Old 08-20-2010, 04:22 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 104 Posts

Find a local mechanic or someone with a pyrometer and use that to set pressures. I aim to get the middle temperature between the inside and outside temps. On the street, even across the tread would be nice. On the track, the inside 10°F hotter than the outside is the target with the middle in between.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure