Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

So, I went by this shop today that had "Autothority" on the front window....

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 12:48 AM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO, Minh is a pretty cool guy....and yes I know him very well. That group buy listed on Renns a few days ago is not them, BTW.

With that said, it is old news that there is newer/better tech available for our cars. But they know that. Is their stuff relaible/good for 17psi and a 27/6? Sure, but other than that you have to go elsewhere.

Todd, if you need tech specs/shops on their products let me know, I have them. Not much to it, but I have it if you need it. No less than other chip/MAF kits info paperwork that I have used. In most cases more....
Old 08-12-2010, 01:00 AM
odb812
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CPR
IMO, Minh is a pretty cool guy....and yes I know him very well. That group buy listed on Renns a few days ago is not them, BTW.

With that said, it is old news that there is newer/better tech available for our cars. But they know that. Is their stuff relaible/good for 17psi and a 27/6? Sure, but other than that you have to go elsewhere.

Todd, if you need tech specs/shops on their products let me know, I have them. Not much to it, but I have it if you need it. No less than other chip/MAF kits info paperwork that I have used. In most cases more....
Thanks for the offer but my Autothority stuff went to Lart a while ago.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:24 AM
odb812
Burning Brakes

Just to be clear I meant Autothority is crap considering a Vitesse MAF can be had for $150 more. For $300, Autothority is decent, but I'd rather save up enough money for a quality product when it comes to engine management. I had the Autothority MAF with a k27/8 @15psi but I wanted more reliability for the track.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:12 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Urban Dictionary: douchea word to describe an individual who has shown themself to be very brainless in one way or another, thus comparing them to the cleansing product fo...

Originally Posted by Wraith1027
Ok, I'm getting the just of it now. I did some reading here and it seems to confirm my experience. I found a part on Flea-bay that I was interested in and started looking at some of the sellers other parts for sale. On one of the parts was a number to call for further information. I called and spoke with Andrew?. Nice enough guy other than the fact the he was intent on making it clear that he knew more than I did about my car. Once I got him past what he wanted me to know, I was able to explain my situation and what I was interested in doing. The part that I was interested in was doable. He said "If someone offered me XXX dollars, I would sell it". I made arrangements to drive over there (YES, Chantilly, VA) to look at the part and make the deal pending fitment to my car. Mind you , at this point, I wasn't sure they were THE Autothority that I have read so much about on here.
I arrived on time and he was out front, talking on the celly or smoking. After introductions, we talked some shop about P cars. He once again started to go down that road. I know more so you need to let me tell you what you want. I nipped it quick with an inquiry about the part I had driven over there to see and BUY. After looking it over, I wanted it. Thats when it happened. Total backstroke. He told me, no less than three times, how much he paid for it and each time produced a new story to go with the original purchase price. He then told me that his "magic" number was $XXX. W.T.F.? But, you told me you would sell it for XXX. Yeah, but.. Now the story is that he isn't even the owner of the part and they really need to get XXX. So, I drove here on a lie. Thanks. I left my name and number and told him to call me if the "owner" changed his mind.

This is what I call bad business. I walked in there with alot of money, and he not only blew that deal over $50.00, but he also turned me off to buying anything. And he was pitching his wares the whole time. I was looking at spending over a grand untill he lied to me. Am I over reacting here?
Old 08-12-2010, 09:31 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CPR
IMO, Minh is a pretty cool guy....and yes I know him very well.
Sadly, Minh passed away last year. I'm not sure who is running things there now. If you are interested in talking to someone who really KNOWS something 951s in that area, there is a shop at the other end of that parking lot: http://www.imamotorsport.net/ Talk to Ivan and see what he recommends for you.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:25 PM
Wraith1027
Instructor

Yeah, I drove by them and the gigantic hauler set up on the way in. I will check them out, Thanks!
Old 08-12-2010, 11:29 PM
minho78
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Renn 951
Sadly, Minh passed away last year. I'm not sure who is running things there now. If you are interested in talking to someone who really KNOWS something 951s in that area, there is a shop at the other end of that parking lot: http://www.imamotorsport.net/ Talk to Ivan and see what he recommends for you.
What happened?
Old 08-12-2010, 11:31 PM
CPR
Race Director

Originally Posted by Renn 951
Yeah, I know. He had been battling cancer for years and final lost his fight. Last time I was by there he had stopped in from his treatments and looked extremely worn out.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:24 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Since Minh is no longer there running the shop, management hasn't been the same. Andrew is the new shop manager. Don't really know the guy but he used to drive a 944 turbo back in the days and seems to still holds on to the past- He's not really up to date with all the latest stuff to our cars. Ky, who is/was Minh's chief mechanic at the time was a really good guy and puts stuff together really well. Not sure if he's still there or not and maybe only work part time on select Saturdays. My previous engines (2.5L) and current engine (3L) was done by Minh and Ky before Minh passed away last year- to their credits, the car is still running very strong.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:47 PM
mylesfast
Instructor

That IMA intake looks hella sexy

Old 08-13-2010, 02:50 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Is this on their website for our cars? I am sure the price is hella sexy too...
Old 09-13-2010, 08:40 PM
Wraith1027
Instructor

Addendum: Thought I would make an attempt to let Andrew make right by me today. I was in need of a sideview mirror glass and black motor housing. Called Autothority to see if he had one. Andrew said he had one, and possibly two. "Let me check something and I'll call you back."

Famous last words. I even offered to buy both whole mirrors (fair) for a very good price. Never heard from him.

Nick came through. I know some guys here have bad feelings for him, but he has always treated me fair and done right by me. He happened to have a brand new, in the box, motor unit with the heated setup and a new mirror. I made one good one out of what I had and got Nick's setup for a great deal. Thanks Nick!

Quick Reply: So, I went by this shop today that had "Autothority" on the front window....