Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Classic Car Registration

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 09:44 PM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic Car Registration

Looking for some help and/or opinions...

I'm looking into registering my 1987 944 Turbo as a "classic vehicle" for a number of reasons; one of which is to be excempt from inspection. The following is part of the requirements by the State of NJ to classify. I have everything covered except a "letter from the vehicle manufacturer, recognized car club or a collector organization attesting to the vehicle’s limited production status".

Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks!

Vehicles applying for collector vehicle status must be approved by MVC. Follow these steps to apply:
Complete the collector vehicle application [41k pdf]
Submit a letter from the vehicle manufacturer, recognized car club or a collector organization attesting to the vehicle’s limited production status. Must be printed on official letterhead
Show proof of limited-use insurance
Include photographs of front, driver side, passenger side and rear of the vehicle
Old 07-30-2010, 10:39 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

PCA?
Old 07-31-2010, 04:27 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by teamcrossworks
Looking for some help and/or opinions...

I'm looking into registering my 1987 944 Turbo as a "classic vehicle" for a number of reasons; one of which is to be excempt from inspection. The following is part of the requirements by the State of NJ to classify. I have everything covered except a "letter from the vehicle manufacturer, recognized car club or a collector organization attesting to the vehicle’s limited production status".

Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks!

Vehicles applying for collector vehicle status must be approved by MVC. Follow these steps to apply:
Complete the collector vehicle application [41k pdf]
Submit a letter from the vehicle manufacturer, recognized car club or a collector organization attesting to the vehicle’s limited production status. Must be printed on official letterhead
Show proof of limited-use insurance
Include photographs of front, driver side, passenger side and rear of the vehicle
Great QUESTION!
Old 07-31-2010, 04:30 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Aren't Porsches, by nature, limited production vehicles...legally?
What constitutes a "NON-LIMITED" production vehicle.
We need to know this first.
This is an issue that also applies to our insurance, I believe.

I would submit this info as a "951".
there were a **** load of 944's.

I'll be watching this thread. Thanks for creating this thread. My car is also an 87.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:05 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

What are the limitations of club/historic reg there ?
in my state of OZ the car has to be going to or from a club event but there is talk of a revision witch would effectively give 90 days reg per year and a log book i think..
Old 07-31-2010, 05:15 AM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

I already have my car insured by Hagarty Ins Co as a classic vehicle with limited mileage usage. If you don't drive your car alot (less then 3,000 miles a year), it is well worth it. I pay $400 a year for full coverage with a declared $15,000 value.

ehall / I don't think the "951" idea will work since the title states "944" but thanks.

gt37vgt / historic in NJ is 25+ years old which I'm not (well I am, but the car is not)
Old 07-31-2010, 05:37 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by teamcrossworks
I already have my car insured by Hagarty Ins Co as a classic vehicle with limited mileage usage. If you don't drive your car alot (less then 3,000 miles a year), it is well worth it. I pay $400 a year for full coverage with a declared $15,000 value.

ehall / I don't think the "951" idea will work since the title states "944" but thanks.

gt37vgt / historic in NJ is 25+ years old which I'm not (well I am, but the car is not)
Actually, we're dealing with the law. Technicalities count in the law. There were X944 turbos (or 951's) but there were X(20) 944's. that would make a difference, depending on the individual states written law.

gt37, The USA is VERY different, in terms of both driving and insurance laws, than OZ. The example listed above, with Haggerty Insurance, is a perfect example.

Crosswerks, I'm just saying that it might be worth your time to really dig into NJ law on this issue. I live in FL. Mine a certain to be a bit different, as I would guess are California's, where they LOVE classic cars.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:50 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Yeh i understand the reg and insurance is much diff we pay our road trauma insurance to the state and insure ourselves for capital damages separate ..
but what i was asking is how is the car usage limited in the "classic" reg ..
is it simply by the annual odometer? or are there limits to what you can physicaly do with the car ? ...
Old 07-31-2010, 06:09 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

CRAP! I just deleted everything I wrote.
I LOVE OZ red wine!

Anyway, Australia is broken into territories, yes? Or is it provinces? I can'tr remember, though I REALLY want to move there and live out my life.

Anyway, the U.S. is broken into States. Each state has significantly different laws, concerning cars and fuel and roadways.
For example, in California, if you own on originally titles and delivered 1969 Shelby Mustang, that runs on 110 octane leaded gas, BUt you have "Classic Car" tags, which are black with orange writing, you can drive them anywhere you want. If you own an 89 944 turbo, and take off the airbox, or install an obvious MAF, you can't legally drive it ANYWHERE!
Here in Florida, we have absolutely NO....ZERO...inspection of ANY car. I can run any damned gas on any damend car and drive it too and from the track...as long as I don't get stopped by a cop.
Crosswerks lives in New Jersey. They are somewhere in between Florida and California.

As for insurance. That varies just as much.

If I dropped my collision and comprehensive damage coverage, I would pay about $69 a month. Because I keep that coverage, it costs me a bit under $125.
In the U.S. your coverage is ALSO based on your personal credit rating, which SHOULD be illegal.

In most states, especially those we stupid car laws, gaining a "classic car" designation opens a large number of doors, to include the ability to get away with no cat, muffler, crazy fuels, and MUCH cheaper insurance rates, if you go with a company like Haggerty, and don't use the car as a daily driver.

That's whay I'm watching this thread. My car is a year and a half away from 25. My old car is 6 months away, and now owned by a buddy in Fl, and I believe there are some real advantages coming to American 951 owners.,

So, how's that?
Old 07-31-2010, 06:18 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

if your coming south looking for fun and freedom keep going until you get to New Zealand its far more liberal .. basically everything cool or fun is illegal here in Oz the level of enforcement varies .. but the state i live in has 4 to 6 million people and collects 456 million dollars a year from speed camera revenue .
Old 07-31-2010, 06:46 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Brother, as a U.S. marine, I can tell you that the fees bother me a lot, but the actual freedom of spirit, of Australians, is what I seek. For all that is wrong there, fundamentally, you. our rebelious brothers, still do it right.
I want to move for the freedom of the people.
Here in the U.S. we are , mentally, penny rich, but dollar poor. We invest like morons.

For an example, look at Mel Gibson! Aren't look glad he claims to be an "American"!
Old 08-01-2010, 07:34 PM
951kaos
Advanced

Where I live in British Columbia, vehicle registration and insurance is run by the provincial government. "Classic Vehicle" registration is for vehicles 25 years and older or limited production vehicles 15 years or older and less than 1500 produced per year. This removes 944 Turbo coupes from this group (86's will qualify next year), a few PCA members here have been able to register there 944/968 cabriolets as they meet the production numbers as per a PCA issued letter on production numbers. They limit use for pleasure only; insurance is void if driven to work; and must be stock specification as sold by the manufacturer. If you modify your car from stock specifications, they recommend you register your vehicle as "Modified" as they could refuse coverage for the mods under a standard coverage. I did this with mine due to suspension work and with a declared value of $25,000; there is no use restriction or vehicle age, so you can use it as a daily driver; and my policy was $250 less than the insurance for a stock 944 Turbo based on wholesale book value with the same insurance coverage. I guess they figure your a car nut and will take care of your baby.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:34 PM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

It seems as I was researching my cause NJ changed their inspection policies:

Effective August 1, 2010, the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission made changes to the New Jersey Vehicle Inspection Program eliminating the mechanical defects (safety) portion of the inspection process for passenger vehicles. Most passenger vehicles will be required to be inspected biennially (every two years) for emissions only. Commercial vehicles and buses will be required to be inspected annually (every year) for safety and the appropriate emissions test. Motorcycles are now exempt from inspection. What vehicles have to be inspected every two years for emissions? Vehicles that have to be inspected for emissions every two years are:
• Gasoline and bi-fueled vehicles plated as passenger, not-for-profit, governmental, commuter van, farmer or farm truck, five (5) model years and older, excluding buses.
• Diesel-powered, passenger motor vehicles plated as passenger, not-for-profit, governmental, commuter van, farmer or farm truck model year 1997 and newer with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) 8,500 pounds or less, five (5) model years and older, excluding buses.
What if my vehicle failed inspection prior to August 1, 2010? Any vehicle previously rejected for mechanical defects (safety) before August 1, 2010 will still require repair and need to pass a re-inspection at either a Private Inspection Facility or CIF before a certificate of approval (inspection sticker) can be issued. What if my vehicle was due for inspection prior to August 1, 2010 and I was unable to have it inspected until after that date?
• Any vehicle due for inspection prior to August 1, 2010 that is presented for an initial inspection after the law is enacted will only be given the required emission test.
• Even with the enactment of these changes, motorists are still required to ensure that their vehicles are free from mechanical defects. A vehicle with mechanical or equipment defects may be cited by law enforcement.

Although these new requirements will now make it much easier for me to get a sticker from an "authorized center" I will still pursue the classic status.

I'll keep everyone updated.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:39 AM
Own Goal
Team Owner

Received 2,323 Likes on 1,396 Posts

Been dragging my feet on getting my car back together since A. it's too hot to work on it and B. being an '86 here in Texas it is an "antique car" come Jan. It cost a bit more to do that but no cat and no inspection and get a special plate. Didn't want a cat anyhow.

Quick Reply: Classic Car Registration