Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Header Panel Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 02:21 PM
Adam Poland
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header Panel Ideas

I have an extra factory header panel laying around, and a Dremel.....give me some inspiration...post pics if you got 'em
Old 07-23-2010, 02:47 PM
IMB951
Drifting

+1, been searching all afternoon for DIY vented nose panels, everyone seems to be buying the fiberglass ones and having the hardest time fitting them...
Old 07-23-2010, 02:59 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would think twice before installing any duct in the header panel. The best airflow for your intercooler is how the factory has it setup with the correct factory ducting. A vent behind the intercooler in the hood near the hood latch would help you, but a vented header panel, in my opinion, will do more harm than good.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:21 PM
IMB951
Drifting

Originally Posted by DDP
I would think twice before installing any duct in the header panel. The best airflow for your intercooler is how the factory has it setup with the correct factory ducting. A vent behind the intercooler in the hood near the hood latch would help you, but a vented header panel, in my opinion, will do more harm than good.
Can someone else chime in here and confirm if there is any validity in this statement? I don't think the racers and guys with built 3 liter 951's run vented nose panels purely for aesthetics...

I've been told by club racers that a vented 951 nose panel gives them second(s) on a track, given no other mods.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:24 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DDP
+100000000000000000
Old 07-23-2010, 04:29 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by IMB951
Can someone else chime in here and confirm if there is any validity in this statement? I don't think the racers and guys with built 3 liter 951's run vented nose panels purely for aesthetics...

I've been told by club racers that a vented 951 nose panel gives them second(s) on a track, given no other mods.
The second statement is pure bullcrap! Who ever told you that is either dilusional or a complete moron...and probably boith.

Derek's statement is absolutley correct. You need venting to pull air out, not to shove unfocussed air in. Unless you intend to create a custom duct that will seal against the IC, you are hurting performance, not helping. The IC will not do it's job as designed without proper ducting. Do a search here. It's been thoroughly discussed.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:41 PM
IMB951
Drifting

My search yielded this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...vent-test.html

The test's confirmed that the 931 header panel lowered intake temperatures at cruising speeds by ~2 degrees.

I agree that saying it's worth seconds off a lap is an outlandish statement, but would you disagree that a 951 at high speeds with a vented header panel would make slightly more power due to a denser (cooler) intake charge?? That increase in power should theoretically produce a (slightly) faster lap time, given ideal conditions for testing.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:46 PM
IMB951
Drifting

Also found :https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...-benefits.html

Which Ehall contributed to. It seems that however slight the intake temperature difference may be, the general consensus is that it's not worth the effort given that it takes consistently high speeds (ie hard tracking) to notice the slight benefits.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:53 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by IMB951
My search yielded this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...vent-test.html

The test's confirmed that the 931 header panel lowered intake temperatures at cruising speeds by ~2 degrees.

I agree that saying it's worth seconds off a lap is an outlandish statement, but would you disagree that a 951 at high speeds with a vented header panel would make slightly more power due to a denser (cooler) intake charge?? That increase in power should theoretically produce a (slightly) faster lap time, given ideal conditions for testing.
Intake temps were for just that ambient intake temps. This was a measure to see how much ram air could drop the temp of the air being sucked into his MAF. He later went with his own MAF trap, which shielded the MAF from the engine compartment, using inlet air from the fender.
It had nothing to do with the effect upon the IC, which is more important.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:59 PM
IMB951
Drifting

Back on topic,

Adam, lots of good stuff in this thread; https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...se-panels.html
Old 07-23-2010, 04:59 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

All that said, some of them do look nifty, but venting the hood is they best way to improve performance across the IC, rad, etc.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:01 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

on my old 86, I had one that I got from Daniel951. It was exactly like his. As I said, it looked nifty. You should look at what he did and copy him. It was a super piece. It fit beautifully, as it should have, being a stock machined piece.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:03 PM
IMB951
Drifting

Originally Posted by ehall
All that said, some of them do look nifty, but venting the hood is they best way to improve performance across the IC, rad, etc.
After looking into it, I agree.

Now to look into stamping louvers into that spare hood
Old 07-23-2010, 05:09 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

search "David Floyd"
Old 07-23-2010, 05:44 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

A vented nose panel by itself will just push air forwards quite possibly. Well to rephrase, you will create a high pressure stall zone. However doing it on a road car won't make much difference either way. If it was a great idea Porsche would have done it on the 951. Having said that, if you have some sort of exit vents in the hood, that could possibly make a difference. Unless you've a spare wind tunnel this is all just bench racing really.
I had a vented nose panel with no hood venting and didn't perceive any change nor see any temp difference....but I liked the look. I now have it sort of blocked off behind the venting and ducted towards the radiator. My temps don't climb above the first line even on the track. I think hood venting is helping too. Emphasis on 'think'.

Quick Reply: Header Panel Ideas