Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rod bearings DIY? Clarcs garage?? Which new parts do I need..?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 05:35 AM
964-C2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rod bearings DIY? Clarcs garage?? Which new parts do I need..?

I am going to change the rod bearings on my 951, but can not find a DIY description on clarks garage..

Do I need new bolts/nuts for the rods?
New oil pan gasket (or is it the old one rubber and can be reused)?
Which torque for the rods?
++

Thanks.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:06 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

In or out of the car?
I think its on Clark's site somewhere.
Yes - new gasket. The old ones get pretty hard. Follow the pan tightening procedure closely – you can crack the pan if you don’t.

Remember to use good assembly lube.

And if you are doing this with the engine in the car….make a list of bad names to yell at the A/C compressor before you start, its handy to have a vocabulary list ready!
Old 07-21-2010, 09:34 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Don't forget the curse words you'll need for getting the pan around the oil pickup tube....

It's a doable job, but there are some tasks (e.g. removing the pan, removing and reinstalling the crossover, bolting on the pan) that may test your patience...

Also, don't go crazy w/ the sealant on the pan gasket. Put it in the spots the factory workshop manual recommends and you shouldn't have any problems. I also numbered the pan bolt holes in the proper tightening sequence to ensure I followed the order correctly.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:59 AM
Ronin-951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What, no 'while your in there' advise? Check/reinforce Oil Pickup tube, Fix the Power Steering, new bushings, AOS, ect, ect,...ad infinitum. Just saying that while you got your curse on, get it OVER with.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:22 PM
964-C2
Racer

Originally Posted by Chris White
In or out of the car?
I think its on Clark's site somewhere.
Yes - new gasket. The old ones get pretty hard. Follow the pan tightening procedure closely – you can crack the pan if you don’t.

Remember to use good assembly lube.

And if you are doing this with the engine in the car….make a list of bad names to yell at the A/C compressor before you start, its handy to have a vocabulary list ready!
Ok, thanks.. :-)

The engine is in the car, yes.
Do I need new bolts/nuts for the rods?
What torque on the rod bolts/nuts?

I guess I need to find the DIY procedure, but I can not...
Old 07-21-2010, 04:50 PM
964-C2
Racer

Originally Posted by Ronin-951
What, no 'while your in there' advise? Check/reinforce Oil Pickup tube, Fix the Power Steering, new bushings, AOS, ect, ect,...ad infinitum. Just saying that while you got your curse on, get it OVER with.
I am fixing the leaky power steering and changing the bushings. The rod bearings are the "while I am in there" :-)

Did not know I had to do anything with the oil pickup tube and AOS. Do I..?
Old 07-21-2010, 05:35 PM
Ronin-951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oil pick up tube has been known to crack, guys braze that up an add a brace strap to eliminate vibration. As long as the cross brace and the rack are out of the way, you might as well clean and put new seals in the AOS, you dont want to go back later a much harder way and you will have a bunch of crap in there. Dont know what year car you have, not even sure if theres a difference, but all the torque, clearance, and sequence numbers are not something you should get off the forum, try the Porsche shop manual, some guys are good enough to post it. [TexasBlake.com] Yes, new rod nuts AFTER you plas-i-gauge the bearings [you pull the threads torqueing them] Keep looking for that DYI, Texas Blake may have his up now. Best Wishes with this.

Quick Reply: Rod bearings DIY? Clarcs garage?? Which new parts do I need..?