Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Daily Driver material

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 06:01 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you will be fine.

There is one guy local here (and on this forum) that has an 86 Turbo with 310K miles on it. Car looks REALLY good too.

A good friend of mine has 180K ish on his daily driver 86 Turbo. He drives about 160 miles a day round trip to work and back 5-7 days a week. (Mark Stolbergs car)

Mike W. daily drives his 86 Turbo and I think he has 140K ish on the car. Not sure how much he drives in a day.

My car has 130k ish on it and I have daily driven it. (86 turbo....oddly red just like the others I have listed).

I know a few guys that daily drive non turbos too with no issue. (we have a TON of 944s here in Colorado).
Old 07-19-2010, 06:05 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 86 924S Driver
I'm not expecting a civic and I know these cars will require maintenance. But as long as you keep up with that will it be a good car to drive to work at least 4 times a week about 20 miles a day total.
ONCE you have ironed out the stock maintenance issues, like the T-belt/rollers/H2O pump, clutch, wear items like hoses, plugs vac lines etc. AND if the car has solid leak down and compression numbers AND if it has been well maintained with copious receipts etc.

Yes. It will be a good solid daily driver.

If you buy one cheap, you will pay dearly and then all bets are off. Do your homework before buying a car.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:07 PM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by ehall

If you buy one cheap, you will pay dearly and then all bets are off. Do your homework before buying a car.
Funny, I bought mine cheap had to replace/upgrade all that you listed and have far LESS money in it now than people that bought "sorted" cars.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:09 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Cole
Funny, I bought mine cheap had to replace/upgrade all that you listed and have far LESS money in it now than people that bought "sorted" cars.
You either got lucky or you are close to LOADS of cheap parts and the needed facilities to do your own work. Most don't have those advantages.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:11 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

FWIW I drove my 87 from Malibu Beach, CA to Ponte Vedra Beach, Fl wiithout a mechanical hiccup.
These are good cars, if you take care of them.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:11 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

on a 20+ year old car, the plastic and rubber items are usually prone to failure, especially if the car has sat for a long time without use. like everyone else has said, if the car is been maintained well with failure prone parts replaced, it should be good to go.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:14 PM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by ehall
You either got lucky or you are close to LOADS of cheap parts and the needed facilities to do your own work. Most don't have those advantages.
I do my own work. Which I will admit saves the cash but costs the time.

My car was WAY abused. Siezed water pump, broken timing belt, bent valve, bad clutch, torn up torque tube, trashed A arm bushings, bad starter, etc.

I had to do the work but upgraded all the parts along the way and now have a much newer, stronger car for less than buying many of the "sorted" cars out there.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:52 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

The car I am looking at looks really good. I'm going to have my dad check it out and make sure it seems pretty solid all around. It has two bad spots where it has body damage not bad but they are there. The guy who is selling the car has a shop. They have built 928/911 race cars there. I think he knows whats going on. He said the belts and clutch look good. The belts are not cracked or rotted at all. He says it boosts up good and runs great. It starts up everytime no problem. It sounds like a good deal. The transmission was replaced last year with a used unit that had only 60,000 miles on it. The car it self has around 117,000 miles on it.

It sounds good. This thread gives me a little confidence.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:02 PM
C ANDERSON
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a 944 for daily driver and drive about 60,000 miles a year, the last 6 months have been using my 87 turbo just can't get enough of this one. also rotate out a 90 S2 and previously used the 83 944 for several years in a row . I also do all my own work and have many parts cars so if something shows its ugly face usually have spares I.S. [INSTOCK]. The best part of them is I can repair myself, parts are cheap compared to most any thing newer. And they get great mileage .

Clifton
Old 07-19-2010, 11:53 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cole
Get real?

How often do ANY of those items fail and need replaced IMMEDIATELY?

wiring harness? Who has had a spontaneous complete harness failure? Maybe after a fire, but you have more to work on than the harness then.

GEE I dunno maybe when there is an engine fire... gosh never heard of one of those on a 944

new/rebuilt torque tube? When have you seen a spontaneous instant complete failure of a torque tube in a street car. Most people that need a TT rebuilt will know for MONTHS if not YEARS that it needs to be done. Not goign to leave you stranded.

how about when you get the car apart for a clutch job and realize there is more of an issue that just a clutch issue, wow gomer who would have ever thought that could happen

factory new KLR or DME? Used ones are a dime a dozen locally here. How often do they REALLY fail? Most of these cars have 150-300K on them. Guess what? They were running during all those miles

Yep the threshold of a modern reliable car are 20+ year old elctronics... can't imagine why anybody ever has issues with those, go figure

assembled short block? I know of 4 right now in town. How often are these being replaced?

4 shortblock for sale in town huh - bull****. For amusement go ahead and list up the four well known sources that can have a ready to install shortblock on your doorstep - can you be any more full of ****?

new/rebuilt transmission? How many instant complete trans failures are there REALLY? Most people that will need a rebult trans KNOW IT FOR A LONG TIME. They know their syncros are going out, etc. Spare trans are easy to find and have rebuilt while the failing one is still in use.

Gee i dunno maybe when you break 2nd gear on an aggressive shift...... I know it must be a real stretch to imagine a trans can have a catostophic failure

trans cooler loop? Easy to run without one, since most of the cars come without them.

well genius you go ahead and plug off a factory cooler trans and let us all know how well that works for you. I for one will certainly enjoy hearing all about it.

spring plates? Have these left you stranded? How often are these replaced?.....ever?

yeah when a curbed to avoid an accident believe it or not you can bend one, and so yeah you might actual need to replace one. who woulda guessed

M030 spindles? Seriously? Come on. You said "get real". The REALITY is that most of the parts people NEED for these cars to keep them in daily driver shape are easily found within the required time frame. That is the truth.

Guess what jackass if you have an M030 car you need to replace a damaged spindle with an M030 spindle... fawk who woulda thought somebody might drive an m030 car.
Impressed as ever with your insight and broad knowledge you are gracious enough to spew. Finished responding to your horse **** - enjoy
Old 07-20-2010, 12:15 AM
Cole
Drifting

Wow. Guess all the facts are too much for you. What a loose argument have. Nice high class insults too.

You listed all sorts of stuff that could go wrong with ANY car. Whoppy.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:21 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Okay. You two cut the crap.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:12 AM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

A 951 can absolutely be your only car, just while your getting it up to snuff be ready for some back up. I have been daily driving 944s for 6+ years, 2 years and 54K with my modded 951... it is my only car that I put at least 100 miles/ day on. I also drive the crap out of it (18 psi) redline in 3rd etc multiple times a day... Just keep an eye on everything, take care of anything before it becomes a bigger issue that could leave you stranded, and have a cash reserve to fix anything that may suddenly come up.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:21 AM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

I know on my old 924S that the DME the cold solder joints went bad. How common is that on the 944 turbo? I'm just curious because that wasn't really a big deal I had a TV repair shop fix the solder joints and it was fine after that. Wish i would have known about that ealier because I spent money on 2 DME relays and replaced the entire ignition system.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:41 AM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Go buy that car.

Quick Reply: Daily Driver material