Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

my new brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 01:09 AM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I like the brakes thats not what i am on about i just think its not easy to "play with front to rear bias" and get it right. You also have to move to 18" wheels to fit those brakes ? Iv been told that the 944 cars looses its balance when going over 17" Not sure thats true though..
Old 07-13-2010, 03:46 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xboostx
They are 6 piston gt3 996 brakes . I purchased the adaptors threw 9xx-parts . and olli . And do i need these brakes? no but i wanted them! I will post more pics and part numbers as i install them
Do yourself a favor, don't use 9XX. I GUARANTEE someone was selling a better product for less.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:47 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
Well even its its fashion I'd prefer to show them of than 3k suit
I'm guessing that you've never owned a 3k suit.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:48 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Adonay
I like the brakes thats not what i am on about i just think its not easy to "play with front to rear bias" and get it right. You also have to move to 18" wheels to fit those brakes ? Iv been told that the 944 cars looses its balance when going over 17" Not sure thats true though..
as to the last part. Bull****.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:02 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your right Ehall and sometimes I could do with the other kind of bravery that comes with a 3k suit ...probably more useful to me these days I don't have trouble stopping my car while its on the hoist
Old 07-13-2010, 04:31 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I feel your pain. Mine is up as well.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:29 AM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
Do yourself a favor, don't use 9XX. I GUARANTEE someone was selling a better product for less.
Sir you may be the expert on all, but I wonder what your guarantee is of this statement.
Many of us on this board have great respect for Olli. Comments like yours make no contribution.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:02 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

If you're talking about Olli, from Europe, then we are talking about two different entities. We have a company of that name in the U.S. that frankly sux.
Olli from our board is not the entity to whom I am referring.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:17 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Adonay
Iv been told that the 944 cars looses its balance when going over 17" Not sure thats true though..
I have not found that to be the case...

BTW, great looking brakes, Dan! There are a few companies making floating front rotors for those. You might be able to get bolt on hats to fit - or have custom hats made.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:02 AM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

I like I want I can't afford Damm!
Old 07-13-2010, 09:44 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Even on a road car, can you ever have enough brakes?
Buzz. Wrong. thank you for playing!
Keep in mind that its all a balancing act – bigger brakes are heavier -in fact that’s the main point – a larger (therefor heavier) rotor makes a better heat sink. Adding weight to the suspension is never a good idea for handling. So you have to make the right balance between braking and suspension. The stock 951 calipers (with decent pads and in good shape) will work as well as the larger brakes in the first several hard stops (even from well over 100) – possibly better because the pads will come up to temperature faster. BTW – getting a pad to work well when cold in a big caliper is not easy – if you make it soft enough to work well when its cold it will not like to be run very hot.

So, yes, its quite possible to have too much brakes on a road car. While it may look cool (and it does!) having brake overkill may actually hurt your cold braking performance and handling.

As always - you need the right tool for the job- not just the biggest tool.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:00 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

I think similar story with tires .. so Chris how many hard track driving minutes would you say are needed to cook a set of well prepped (good pads fluid/ducts) 951 stock brakes and justify a bigger set .. assume about 350hp so many can relate ...
Old 07-13-2010, 10:29 AM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

I can tell you that running in black group at watkins glen with 320rwhp will burn through pagid orange pads in stock calipers in a single weekend (about 8 30 minute sessions). That's accompanied by a very spongy pedal at the end of each session and I'd say I was feeling there was very little margin at that point. Aside from that, I could still brake hard enough to put space between myself and the seat back despite 6 point harnesses.

I then upgraded to 928 gts calipers and rotors mostly to reduce the amount I was spending on track pads since pagid oranges run $200+ for a set.

There just isn't any need for more brake on a street 951 but I will admit... those GT3 brakes are really cool.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:29 PM
DanR
Drifting

Even on a road car, can you ever have enough brakes?
Yes, with decent pads fluid and cooling the stock calipers IMHO are enough for the track and deffinitely ok for the road. I would be very surprised to hear people suffereing fade on the road as quite frankly you should not be driving hard enough to do that on the road. Now do they look cool, YES but I do not think you are adding performace advantage vs extra weight etc.

[QUOTE=ninefiveone;7729924]I can tell you that running in black group at watkins glen with 320rwhp will burn through pagid orange pads in stock calipers in a single weekend (about 8 30 minute sessions). That's accompanied by a very spongy pedal at the end of each session and I'd say I was feeling there was very little margin at that point. Aside from that, I could still brake hard enough to put space between myself and the seat back despite 6 point harnesses.

I then upgraded to 928 gts calipers and rotors mostly to reduce the amount I was spending on track pads since pagid oranges run $200+ for a set.

QUOTE]

I actually did the reverse change. I had big reds as a prepared mod and changed back to S calipers. I agree that pad wear is higher on the S calipers (mine last 3 race weekends at a push and I am only stock power running a PB of 2.12's at the Glen)
Old 07-13-2010, 01:12 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Chris White
Buzz. Wrong. thank you for playing!
Keep in mind that its all a balancing act – bigger brakes are heavier -in fact that’s the main point – a larger (therefor heavier) rotor makes a better heat sink. Adding weight to the suspension is never a good idea for handling. So you have to make the right balance between braking and suspension. The stock 951 calipers (with decent pads and in good shape) will work as well as the larger brakes in the first several hard stops (even from well over 100) – possibly better because the pads will come up to temperature faster. BTW – getting a pad to work well when cold in a big caliper is not easy – if you make it soft enough to work well when its cold it will not like to be run very hot.

So, yes, its quite possible to have too much brakes on a road car. While it may look cool (and it does!) having brake overkill may actually hurt your cold braking performance and handling.

As always - you need the right tool for the job- not just the biggest tool.
I wasn't worried about the size of my tool, though it is only red when the GF adds lipstick.
That said, that's good info. I didn't thinkl of it like that. I probably should have can you ever stop fast enough.

Quick Reply: my new brakes