Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

951MAX Chips from Lindsey or MAXhpkit: $50 difference?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010 | 11:51 AM
IMB951
Drifting

Default 951MAX Chips from Lindsey or MAXhpkit: $50 difference?

I'm considering replacing my stock chip set on my 951.
'89 with K27/6, 55# injectors, 3 bar FPR, LR Stg II MAF, 4" exhaust, 15psi currently thru an MBC and LR Dual Port WG

What's the difference between buying them through the LR website for $299 and MAXhpkit.com for $250?

Is there just a markup through LR or is there more to it? I've searched and read plenty of positive reviews regarding the value in these. I will be doing before/after dyno runs most likely to share with everyone here. I'm expecting to really wake up this monster after a good tune on new chips.
Old 07-12-2010 | 01:53 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

To make sure I understand you correctly, you're running 15 psi with bigger injectors, FPR, and MBC with the stock chips? Do you have an AFR gauge? Sounds a bit worrisome to me.

I've had fantastic luck with Vitesse; might want to consider him. I think you should consider a true piggyback over the stock computer; it's not much more expensive and it'll pay dividends.

Sorry I can't offer any help re: the chips you asked about.
Old 07-12-2010 | 04:34 PM
User 41221
Banned

IIRC, the old Lindsey Stage II MAF came with a power perfect four **** controller that allowed you to tune the car. Compared to what we have to work with now (and trust me, we've gotten quite spoiled), it was a bit "caveman" but in its day, it got the job done and worked with the various chip sets that were common back then (Autothority, Weltmeister, and others including the factory chips).

When we were installing the original Huntley MAF's (I am talking back in the mid to late 90's), there were lots of blown headgaskets. lol It was a real badge of honor to get a 951 over 300rwhp back then. Lindsey and then Guru got in the game and we saw a big jump in consistency, easier installation, reliable tuning (Guru had its problems, to be sure, but it was still better than the first gen MAF's). Vitesse took the whole market a huge step forward, imo, and Lindsey has stayed in the game as well, to the point that the new benchmark for bragging rights seems to be around 400rwhp these days.

To answer the original poster's question, I would think that if you are running a Lindsey MAF, $50 is a very cheap price to get access to their customer service help in making sure the new chip works well with their MAF.

Last edited by User 41221; 07-12-2010 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-12-2010 | 04:37 PM
IMB951
Drifting

Yes, I have a digital AFR gauge and I've monitored it closely while tuning with the Mafterburner software. I have good idle/cruise ratios and a slightly rich condition under boost, but nothing extreme; no black smoke and the occasional fireball from the catless 4" exhaust when it's hot. Why should I be worried?
Old 07-12-2010 | 05:32 PM
MM951
Race Director

Originally Posted by sh944
IIRC, the old Lindsey Stage II MAF came with a power perfect four **** controller that allowed you to tune the car. Compared to what we have to work with now (and trust me, we've gotten quite spoiled), it was a bit "caveman" but in its day, it got the job done and worked with the various chip sets that were common back then (Authority, Weltmeister, and others including the factory chips).

When we were installing the original Huntley MAF's (I am talking back in the mid to late 90's), there were lots of blown headgaskets. lol It was a real badge of honor to get a 951 over 300rwhp back then. Lindsey and then Guru got in the game and we saw a big jump in consistency, easier installation, reliable tuning (Guru had its problems, to be sure, but it was still better than the first gen MAF's). Vitesse took the whole market a huge step forward, imo, and Lindsey has stayed in the game as well, to the point that the new benchmark for bragging rights seems to be around 400rwhp these days.

To answer the original poster's question, I would think that if you are running a Lindsey MAF, $50 is a very cheap price to get access to their customer service help in making sure the new chip works well with their MAF.
Old 07-12-2010 | 08:45 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

FWIW, the LR chips are NOT the same as the 951 MaxHP chips, YES Russel Berry helped, and made the maps for LR, but the LR chips are LR specific!
Old 07-12-2010 | 11:45 PM
IMB951
Drifting

Thanks for clarifying, would you recommend I get them from LR or Russell? Reasoning?
Old 07-13-2010 | 03:51 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Russell. He makes chips, not shiny stuff.

Nothing wrong with LR, but you want chips, so buy them from a chip guy.
Old 07-13-2010 | 02:23 PM
CDH-CTT
Racer

Im VERY happy with my Chips from Lindsey.... I noticed a HUGE difference going from Autoathority to Lindsey Chips... better mid range and the car and watching my AFR when i swapped chips the LR chip stayed more consistant under boost( 1 bar) of boost the Autoa chip was not as "refined" .... if that make sense... an with the LR chips, STOCK airbox, 3 bar FR, and 3" full exhaust I did 280hp and 265tq on a Dynojet..... Did have time to swap out to the Autoa chips... I have been very happy with all the products I have bought from Lindsey racing....as I will keep buying MORE.....

Carl
Old 07-13-2010 | 05:03 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

I assume you bought the LR MAF 2nd hand? Or does LR sell it without the chip?

Anyway, with the Mafterburner you can do all the tuning you want for a/f, just no timing control that a new chip could offer.

Sidebar: Did you notice much difference with the 4" exhaust?
Old 07-13-2010 | 07:09 PM
IMB951
Drifting

Originally Posted by toddk911
Sidebar: Did you notice much difference with the 4" exhaust?
My 951 came with a few 1st generation mods. Old Bursch 3 in test pipe and I've just found out that Weltmiester chips are in there right now. From what I've gathered from various sources, including Russell Berry, the Welt's just messed with timing more than fuel to make the car "feel" more powerful. I'm going to do a quick datalog this weekend, and screenshot my mafterburner software's current curve and let Russell take a look at it before burning me a chip.

The 4" exhaust was more of an over-provisioning purchase, if anything. The K27/6 was put on my 951 in lightly used condition, and I went with the 4" to be in place for whatever replaces this dinosaur turbocharger when it expires. The sound from the Magnaflow is magnificent, I like it loud. The turbo is definitely more noticeable in both sound and spoolup at about 500rpm lower to get 1 bar.

That said, I don't think that my K27/6 fully warrants a 4" system. To be honest, I think a full 3" would be sufficient, but when it comes to fluid dynamics, I knew the 4" could only benefit the car. Looks better too IMO.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 951MAX Chips from Lindsey or MAXhpkit: $50 difference?