Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Car runs richer when fogs are turned on

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 07:50 PM
pudges951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ehall... I thought that title would get people's attention...

Adonay, that is another thing that I am getting ready to check for proper operation.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:50 PM
pudges951
Racer

Originally Posted by lart951
is the whole system that is not getting a good ground, grounding the maf wont fix your issues, let me see if I have a picture of my engine bay with the grounds. I had the power perfect and and a wb, but I took the car to a dyno to verify the accuracy of my wb and surprise as soon as I turned the lights the car went rich so my wb was accurate.

Pics would help tremendously...
Old 07-13-2010, 08:41 PM
gcb951
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, this just happened to me. I cleaned the grounds and re-routed the ground for the MAF to a better spot. All is well now. Its and easy fix.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:03 PM
pudges951
Racer

That's good, but the bad grounds aren't causing the rich condition under full throttle, or at least I wouldn't think. I can understand bad grounds causing the car to run richer when a load is put on, I.E. fog lights and such...
Old 07-13-2010, 09:44 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by pudges951
That's good, but the bad grounds aren't causing the rich condition under full throttle, or at least I wouldn't think. I can understand bad grounds causing the car to run richer when a load is put on, I.E. fog lights and such...
A Bad ground would cause the MAF signal to be off. To simplify things, look at GROUND as your base for a signal. Ground should be at "0Vdc" or no voltage.

Due to faulty grounds, I have seen a positive voltage as high as 0.5Vdc at the MAF ground connection (as well as other ground connections). The MAF output signal will be offset by the same value. I will use the 0.5V in the following example..

Instead of having MAF signal of "X vdc" now you are getting "X + 0.5V". The DME will richen the mixture, as it calculates the Air Flow based on "X + 0.5v". (Higher voltage = more flow = more fuel). However, with a good ground, the MAF signal should be "X" not "X + 0.5V"

A bad ground can cause all sort of issues, not just MAF or rich/lean related problems. A bad ground affects ALL sensors.....
Old 07-13-2010, 09:49 PM
pudges951
Racer

I am going to check some of the grounds with my meter to see if I can get any readings out of them. I would still like to see some pics if anyone has any of where they added extra grounds to their cars.

John, by moving my MAF ground to the negative terminal on the battery my AFR's improved at idle and partial throttle greatly, it seems to only go super rich now when I give it full throttle and get into boost.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:14 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by pudges951
I am going to check some of the grounds with my meter to see if I can get any readings out of them. I would still like to see some pics if anyone has any of where they added extra grounds to their cars.

John, by moving my MAF ground to the negative terminal on the battery my AFR's improved at idle and partial throttle greatly, it seems to only go super rich now when I give it full throttle and get into boost.
This tells me you have a grounding issue. Rich at WOT could be many things.. I would fix ALL ground issues before moving forward.

By grounding the MAF directly to the battery ground terminal, you isolated the MAF ground, however there are other sensors that require a good ground. Even the DME itself must have a good ground.. Look at the ground points at the bell housing, firewall, by the headlights,... Cleaning the ground connections may solve many issues. you could also have bad ground wires which should be replaced.

To make this task easier, think of a bad ground as leaving HP on the table. With good ground, you can reclaim lost HP.. Now, that'll get you going
Old 07-13-2010, 10:15 PM
gcb951
Burning Brakes

I had about the MAF ground hooked to one of my strut tower bolts. After cleaning the headlight grounds I put the MAF ground to the negative battery post and all is well. Before I made the change I tested the ground with my multimeter from the black wire on the MAF and the negative post on the battery. I had 0 volts with the car in the off position on the ignition. About .02 volts with ignition in the on position and about .09 volts with the headlights on.

Just wanted to say Thanks to John for helping me with this same issue. He'll steer you in the right direction.

Last edited by gcb951; 07-13-2010 at 10:16 PM. Reason: more to add
Old 07-13-2010, 10:25 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by gcb951
I had about the MAF ground hooked to one of my strut tower bolts. After cleaning the headlight grounds I put the MAF ground to the negative battery post and all is well. Before I made the change I tested the ground with my multimeter from the black wire on the MAF and the negative post on the battery. I had 0 volts with the car in the off position on the ignition. About .02 volts with ignition in the on position and about .09 volts with the headlights on.

Just wanted to say Thanks to John for helping me with this same issue. He'll steer you in the right direction.

You are welcome!

Ideally you want the MAF ground wire as short as possible. I assume, you reconnected it back to chassis once the ground wires were cleaned up?
Old 07-13-2010, 10:52 PM
pudges951
Racer

Originally Posted by fast951
This tells me you have a grounding issue. Rich at WOT could be many things.. I would fix ALL ground issues before moving forward.

By grounding the MAF directly to the battery ground terminal, you isolated the MAF ground, however there are other sensors that require a good ground. Even the DME itself must have a good ground.. Look at the ground points at the bell housing, firewall, by the headlights,... Cleaning the ground connections may solve many issues. you could also have bad ground wires which should be replaced.

To make this task easier, think of a bad ground as leaving HP on the table. With good ground, you can reclaim lost HP.. Now, that'll get you going
I'll be sure to check all of the above. Yeah I can tell there is a lot of power left on the table that I had after I first installed your MAF so something definitely changed.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:15 AM
gcb951
Burning Brakes

John,
I haven't got around to changing the ground yet. But the car has been parked and I only drove it about 2 or 3 miles for a test run. Do you have any good suggestions for where I should ground the MAF? Should I make my own ground to the chassis?
Old 07-14-2010, 09:55 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Maybe it was owned by a stock class racer, that’s the extra 5hp at full boost switch!
Old 07-14-2010, 04:53 PM
pudges951
Racer

You know Chris, that is probably what the mystery switch I found under the dash is for.... It's the super secret booster switch... lol...
Old 07-15-2010, 02:17 AM
gcb951
Burning Brakes

Question about the extra rich A/R on WOT. If the ground is bad, does the reading on the wideband show an accurate number or is it off by the voltage that is leaking from the system? Or put it this way, with the wideband showing 1.5 to 2.0 more points on the wideband with WOT, is that an accurate reading of the air fuel ratio?
Old 07-25-2010, 11:26 PM
running_cold924
Racer

gcb951, I believe the wideband is telling the truth when there is an electric load on. I am having the same problem and when i start to turn accessories on, I hear a change in idle quality as well as watching the afr drop on my wideband. I'm going to start to clean some grounds on my car.

any update to this thread?

Quick Reply: Car runs richer when fogs are turned on