Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

wastegate

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010 | 02:31 AM
jb-kix
Instructor

Default wastegate

So am i to assume the bigger the mm (38,44,46,48)the better or do i have to build up?I have no modes yet but there coming,but need a waste gate now.So im doing full exhaust and wastegate.
Old 07-08-2010 | 11:53 AM
Adam Poland
Racer

Originally Posted by jb-kix
So am i to assume the bigger the mm (38,44,46,48)the better or do i have to build up?I have no modes yet but there coming,but need a waste gate now.So im doing full exhaust and wastegate.
I'm not very knowledgable on wastegates, but I believe the bigger the mm, the more pressure it would take to open, therefore making it better? What mods do you have on the way? I've heard that Lindsey Racings clubgate is very good. You could also do their dual port. But, if you arent doing extensive mods, the clubgate will be just fine. And, you dont have to adapt it to the exhaust. It bolts right up. Someone with a little more knowledge on the matter please make sure that my statement about mm's is correct.
Old 07-08-2010 | 12:04 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Adam Poland
I'm not very knowledgable on wastegates, but I believe the bigger the mm, the more pressure it would take to open, therefore making it better? What mods do you have on the way? I've heard that Lindsey Racings clubgate is very good. You could also do their dual port. But, if you arent doing extensive mods, the clubgate will be just fine. And, you dont have to adapt it to the exhaust. It bolts right up. Someone with a little more knowledge on the matter please make sure that my statement about mm's is correct.
Both the club gate and the LR dual port are modified stock wastegates.

Not all wastegates are created equal, the more modified the setup, "the larger the WG the beter" doesn't always apply.

If installing to a stock setup, or even mildly modded.. 38mm, LRDP, or LRCG is enough, you CAN use a larger WG, BUT you can go too big, sort of.

If using the stock cycling valve, and DME control 38mm (or 40mm) is the way to go. The stock controls are crude but effective, but may lead to issues if you use a larger WG, as it may end up feeling like a light switch!

The modern electronic boost contollers can flutter the WG better than the stock setup.

In the end, the WG selection should be based on supporting mods, just like anything else!
Old 07-08-2010 | 12:07 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

What type of exhaust are you doing? Larger exhaust may require new chips or other supporting mods....
Old 07-08-2010 | 04:23 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Larger is definitely not necessarily better when it comes to wastegates.
Large wastegates are needed with high exhaust volume and lower than usual boost applications.
Many here with 3.0 liter engines are still using the standard 38mm.; that's what you need.
Old 07-08-2010 | 04:45 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

How much hope is there for DIYing a dual port out of the stock unit? I remember searching for such a thing a few weeks back and saw that it was possible, but that most people didn't do it. Seems like if the diaphragm is still in good shape, you don't break any studs and add shims, then you could get off with a cheap dual port that could hold ~20psi for <$20 that bolts right up.

Granted I'm looking at biting the bullet on a Synapse down the road, once I take care of a few more maintenance items, mostly just throwing this idea out to see about its feasibility.
Old 07-09-2010 | 03:56 AM
jb-kix
Instructor

hey thanks guys ,So im thinkin tial 38mm with a fabspeed or B&B cat delete,all the way back.
Old 07-09-2010 | 06:30 AM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

hey thanks guys ,So im thinkin tial 38mm with a fabspeed or B&B cat delete,all the way back.
Sounds wise. Go with the Fabspeed and the Tial setup you will love it
Old 07-09-2010 | 10:32 PM
jb-kix
Instructor

is it loud?
Old 07-09-2010 | 11:10 PM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

The wastegate should not be louder than the stock one. As for the exhaust with out a pre muffler or cat is quite loud when on woot but not bad . Can be annoying on long road trips if you dont have a stereo. Listen to the video clips on fabspeed http://www.fabspeed.com/944Turbo.html . I love the 3" sound personally especially on cruise and woot
Old 07-10-2010 | 01:44 AM
jb-kix
Instructor

ok so fabspeed it is,So can i bolt this all in with no fab. work?an no tuning?My car is all new stock ,3in. cat.delete ,3in.exaust,38mm tial.will be my first upgrade.
Old 07-10-2010 | 11:39 AM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

Scott H

I've rebuilt a number of stock wastegates with great success. Though the goal was not mine,the ability to change them over to a dual port configuration is very easy.
Old 07-11-2010 | 08:47 PM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

ok so fabspeed it is,So can i bolt this all in with no fab. work?an no tuning?My car is all new stock ,3in. cat.delete ,3in.exaust,38mm tial.will be my first upgrade.
You might as well get a matching chip they are not very expensive.
Old 07-11-2010 | 09:11 PM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by Adonay
You might as well get a matching chip they are not very expensive.
This is how this addiction starts.
Old 07-11-2010 | 09:24 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by George D
This is how this addiction starts.
Bingo Fast forward to someone selling their car two years from now and losing $5-$10K in the process.

Quick Reply: wastegate