Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

URGENT: Frustrated, about ready to give up...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 01:09 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

I'd start by installing the factory AFM, chips, injectors, and fuel pressure regulator. If that doesn't run properly, then work on find the problem before adding variables like new MAFs and chips, etc. In your post above, you say the last time you ran the stock AFM, injectors (and chips?), the car ran out of gas at 4500. What do you mean by that? Did it go lean, or shut off, or stumble or what? Until you get it to run right with stock parts, you are just making it harder on yourself by trying to add new parts before sorting the car first. How did you conclude you fried the harness and DME? Did the harness melt? Which wires were involved in that frying?

For checking the TPS, I'd run the multimeter tests described on clarks-garage -- checking for the click only confirms its installed correctly, but does not tell you if it is producing good signals.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:17 AM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where are you picking up power from for the MAF? From the diagnostic port?
Old 07-07-2010, 02:31 PM
Adam Poland
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Most shops won't know the first thing to do, IMO.

The DME uses the air-flow signal at nearly all times, including idle (the one exception is during cranking). However it does have a 'minimum' value allowed, this way even if the reported MAF signal is way too low, the car will most likely still idle.

Adam, go back to your #1 setup - that way we start with a known-good combination. Once verified that it is working properly, install just your MAF (and the configuration file for stock injectors). Then let us know what happens.
Have to take this one-step at a time.

-Rogue
Thank you, will do this after I get back from Texas World Speedway this weekend. I have to get my SCCA Comp. License for the spec miata.

Originally Posted by Jeff N.
Re calibrating the Innovate - check the manual. There's a procedure you can do to zero in the unit. It's not hard but you have do it with sensor in either free air or with the car off for 24 hours.

Re your issues - If Dave at LR is telling you that you have the right chips, right MAF and right injector, then I think you have some sort of wiring issue. Most likely with your MAF connection. Sounds to me like the MAF signal is not making it's way to the DME. Is the PowerPerfect wiring all cleaned out? That will intercept your MAF signals and could hose the wiring.

Maaaaybe an issue with your TPS.

I would start by triple checking all the wiring to the setup manual. Make sure the PowerPerfect stuff it all out. Then, I would test the TPS for correct responses. Go slow. Make diagrams. Compare to the manuals. It will work but you have to damn **** on the whole thing. I'll bet that somethings not connected right with the MAF.
I will try this after the track as well. I have the MAF meter connected to the original AFM connector wires via spade connectors. I noticed in the installation instructions it said to solder them, but I didn't have a soldering iron at the time. Could this interrupt things? Yes, the power perfect wiring is cleared out, but, I do have the innovate power and ground hooked up where it used to be. Maybe another factor?

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
I'd start by installing the factory AFM, chips, injectors, and fuel pressure regulator. If that doesn't run properly, then work on find the problem before adding variables like new MAFs and chips, etc. In your post above, you say the last time you ran the stock AFM, injectors (and chips?), the car ran out of gas at 4500. What do you mean by that? Did it go lean, or shut off, or stumble or what? Until you get it to run right with stock parts, you are just making it harder on yourself by trying to add new parts before sorting the car first. How did you conclude you fried the harness and DME? Did the harness melt? Which wires were involved in that frying?

For checking the TPS, I'd run the multimeter tests described on clarks-garage -- checking for the click only confirms its installed correctly, but does not tell you if it is producing good signals.
At 4500, the car went way lean, and ran out of power (stumbling and cutting out) when running 17psi on the dyno. When the DME fried, you could see smoke from the harness, and the ground wire to the DME that the power perfect was hooked to fried. The inside of the DME was black around the plug, and there was an obvious burning smell. There were a few more fried wires, but we didnt trace those out. Also, that harness is on my track car. My street car blew the motor, and the track car was having problems, so, my street car now has the track motor. The DME harness on this car is fine. I just thought that maybe these same injectors that were on the track wiring harness when it fried had been messed up.

Originally Posted by CPR
Where are you picking up power from for the MAF? From the diagnostic port?
Lol is the diagnostic port the old AFM connector? If so, I'm getting power from the positie wire from that connector.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:10 PM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CPR: I think we have a winner -

Adam: You need power from another source. The AFM connector only delivers 5volts worth of power. Was your test light a little dim when you tested it?

The diagnostic post is a little rubber thinggy against the firewall directly in front of the driver. Lift the cap and you will get five female socket connectors arranged in a circle.

I'll get a pic.

Last edited by Matt Sheppard; 07-07-2010 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:23 PM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

See that fat red wire, I believe you get 12 volts off that (well, 12.something)- test it first with a meter. The other smaller wires are socketed in to get the "blink-codes" from the DME.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:29 PM
Adam Poland
Racer

Originally Posted by Matt Sheppard
See that fat red wire, I believe you get 12 volts off that (well, 12.something)- test it first with a meter. The other smaller wires are socketed in to get the "blink-codes" from the DME.

My car does not have any wires coming from the diagnostic port. The port is there, but it just has the sockets, no wires connected to it? Or do you have to buy connectors to make it work?
Old 07-07-2010, 03:53 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Poland
My car does not have any wires coming from the diagnostic port. The port is there, but it just has the sockets, no wires connected to it? Or do you have to buy connectors to make it work?
Its just a port like that. You have to solder wires to the pins or find matching pins.

Some people also tie into the 14 pin block connector behind the diagnostic port.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:53 PM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Adam, yes, you should only have the socket - female connections. That picture is from someone who was installing a MAF on a 951 and they were using that port to supply 12 volts - I recommend you do the same. The other wires were a test light that someone had installed - all you need is the 12 Volts off that plug.

You could fold over the end (double up) the + wire from the MAF and just press-fit it in to test for a bit, but yes, eventually get a proper male connector - used is fine. It's easy to scavenge the pins from a parts car or from a 944 wreck local junkyard.

You will soon find that at least 1 parts car is like the ante to the 951 poker game.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:21 PM
RC713
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 49 Posts

Old 07-07-2010, 04:28 PM
Adam Poland
Racer

Originally Posted by Matt Sheppard
Adam, yes, you should only have the socket - female connections. That picture is from someone who was installing a MAF on a 951 and they were using that port to supply 12 volts - I recommend you do the same. The other wires were a test light that someone had installed - all you need is the 12 Volts off that plug.

You could fold over the end (double up) the + wire from the MAF and just press-fit it in to test for a bit, but yes, eventually get a proper male connector - used is fine. It's easy to scavenge the pins from a parts car or from a 944 wreck local junkyard.

You will soon find that at least 1 parts car is like the ante to the 951 poker game.
Just went and bought some connectors for it. Will post update tonight.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Adam Poland
Racer

Or right now. car is working right. Just needs tuning. I swear, I don't know what I would do without this website. Thank you everone for your help and inputs.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:57 PM
minho78
Burning Brakes

Glad you are back running.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:23 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep - rennlist to the rescue
Keep us updated on the tuning!
Old 07-07-2010, 07:50 PM
Adam Poland
Racer

Will do. in my excitement, I failed to mention someone in my thank you. I would like to thank Dave and all others who helped us from Lindsey Racing. They have given us support ever since our first 951. For every post I make, there are five phonecalls to them. So, thanks again LR crew.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:23 PM
Mike Lindsey
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

You're welcome Adam. Anytime as usual. And I'm sure we asked your dad at least 10 times do you have 12v to the meter and what's the voltage coming out. It would of been fun to of met you two had you made the trip up today.
Other 1-405-947-0137

Quick Reply: URGENT: Frustrated, about ready to give up...