Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Oil cooler...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 11:15 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 350 Posts
Default Oil cooler...

So I already have the KISS oil cooler in my car. As referenced in my "cursed" thread, I was seeing rather high oil temps.

Combination of thin air, triple digit ambient temps, etc.

What I want to know is if there's a commercially available oil cooler kit that uses a large, center mounted cooler that replaces the stock cooler entirely?

The goal would be to replace both the stock and KISS cooler with 1 large cooler that can adequately cool the oil in the car...
Old 07-02-2010, 11:29 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

The best approach is to convert to AN lines (-12AN), then select the largest oil cooler you can fit. Mocal or similar brands have many sizes. It's not a kit, but shouldn't be too difficult to mount. www.batinc.net has a good selection of oil coolers (look at the 911 coolers). They also have all the fittings you need to convert to AN lines.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:52 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

I didnt find it burried in the other thread - where is your oil temp sender located? Pan or turbo oil return banjo, other?

What was your oil pressure doing at the high oil temps? Were you losing about 1 bar oil pressure on track, compared to when the car is running lower oil temps on the street?

I have run a couple different setups on track cars - the kiss kit in series with the factory cooler on 3 different cars, and also a single large cooler in front of the radiator on another car. I dont have enough data to say that one setup is better than the other.

It really comes down to the heat transfer area (larger coolers) and ambient air flow across/thru the coolers.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:59 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

I'm measuring the temp in the oil pan. Oil pressure was remaining pretty good. At normal temps it'll idle at 3.5 bar and peg the gauge on throttle tip in.

When it was getting really hot, I still saw 3bar at idle and 4+ bar when on it.

I ran three sessions that day, I was burning copious amounts of oil, (turbo hot seals were bad), so that probably contributed to the temps. Saw 245F the first two sessions, then the last (hottest, 100 degree out, 6000 ft above sea level) session saw 275F.

Water temps the first two sessions were just above the first line, the last session they were in the middle of the gauge.

What do you have to do to convert to AN lines? Are there special adapters I need?
Old 07-02-2010, 12:00 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bmw 750 has an apropriate core with with suitable metric fittings i believe.
also rx7 orfc3 is good oil cooler
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-A...#ht_1120wt_660
Old 07-02-2010, 03:16 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by docwyte
I'm measuring the temp in the oil pan. Oil pressure was remaining pretty good. At normal temps it'll idle at 3.5 bar and peg the gauge on throttle tip in.

When it was getting really hot, I still saw 3bar at idle and 4+ bar when on it.

I ran three sessions that day, I was burning copious amounts of oil, (turbo hot seals were bad), so that probably contributed to the temps. Saw 245F the first two sessions, then the last (hottest, 100 degree out, 6000 ft above sea level) session saw 275F.

Water temps the first two sessions were just above the first line, the last session they were in the middle of the gauge.

What do you have to do to convert to AN lines? Are there special adapters I need?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-670100/
22mm*1.5 to -12AN

I am also planning this change as part of my modernization effort!

add a nice big mocal, and you should have little problem, you can also add a nice thermo switch to turn on a fan or 2 to move MORE air of the cooler (this is my plan anyway)!
Old 07-02-2010, 03:34 PM
George D
Drifting

I had some cooling issues with my car. This picture shows you where we installed a thermostat fan driven cooler on the left and a smaller static cooler on the right. These fit behind the factory bumper. We modded the front of the car to provide better air flow to these and the intercooler.

PM me if you want the manuf. We should no longer have any cooling issues.
Attached Images  
Old 07-02-2010, 03:59 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Has anyone run Chris Whites combo radiator/oil cooler? That looked very intriguing, and if I didn't already have an almost brand new radiator in my 951, I'd be looking hard at that.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:19 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

So you need two of those adapters then? Plan is to get the car back together and drive it around some more to gather more data. I'm also going to pull out my drivers foglight scoop so the entire KISS cooler gets exposure to the incoming air.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:20 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

George, Your car is looking nice. I like the design of the IC top-bottom end tanks. Are you making any sort of ducting behind the oil coolers? Unless there is a place for the air to go, it will stagnate behind the coolers and become a high pressure area. A low pressure area is needed behind the coolers for better flow, ducting and hood louvers will help greatly.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:56 PM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by fast951
George, Your car is looking nice. I like the design of the IC top-bottom end tanks. Are you making any sort of ducting behind the oil coolers? Unless there is a place for the air to go, it will stagnate behind the coolers and become a high pressure area. A low pressure area is needed behind the coolers for better flow, ducting and hood louvers will help greatly.
We are working on ducting. My avatar is showing the hood vents. This intercooler was specifically designed for this car by Garrity. To get the same efficiency, according to his calculations, a horizontal unit would have been too tall. I can't wait to get everything back together and do some driving.....We hopefully cured any excessive heat issues.

Also, why would AN fittings help with the cooling capacity of the oil cooler? Just curious. We are using crimp hydraulic fittings. My AN threaded fittings leaked a tiny bit.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:03 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by George D
We are working on ducting. My avatar is showing the hood vents. This intercooler was specifically designed for this car by Garrity. To get the same efficiency, according to his calculations, a horizontal unit would have been too tall. I can't wait to get everything back together and do some driving.....We hopefully cured any excessive heat issues.

Also, why would AN fittings help with the cooling capacity of the oil cooler? Just curious. We are using crimp hydraulic fittings. My AN threaded fittings leaked a tiny bit.
I look forward to seeing the car back on the road and the track. I know it has been a long process for you.

The AN fittings will simplify the installation, as you can custom make the hoses. The crimp hydraulic fittings work good, just a bit more work involved. If the AN fittings and lines are assembled correctly they shouldn't leak. (of course, now they'll start leaking on my car.)
Old 07-02-2010, 06:12 PM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by fast951
I look forward to seeing the car back on the road and the track. I know it has been a long process for you.

The AN fittings will simplify the installation, as you can custom make the hoses. The crimp hydraulic fittings work good, just a bit more work involved. If the AN fittings and lines are assembled correctly they shouldn't leak. (of course, now they'll start leaking on my car.)
OT: Way too long. Good thing my partner has a Carrera 4 for me to thrash. Sean is coming over tonight. He is bringing a friend with a stage 3 Vitesse setup on his 951. I'm going to make him give me the keys for a quickie. Drinks and BBQ after.

My AN threaded fittings didn't leak till about 3000 miles after install. More of a seeping. Since they were a bitch to tighten, and everything was out, we decided to make crimp type lines. Better at keeping fluid where it belongs.

Have a fun/safe 4th!
Old 07-02-2010, 06:22 PM
Wormhole
Three Wheelin'

Curious, what type of oil are you using?
Old 07-02-2010, 06:28 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Sean / JET951 fitted a stock 993 oil cooler to my car. It basically goes in the front rhs using the stock fittings. It's large and works well. Didn't see temps over 212f on the track although it was probably only a 60f day outside. By comparison Sean's car with stock oil cooler was seeing approx 260f on the same day.

Quick Reply: Oil cooler...