Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What are the signs of bad turbo bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010 | 04:25 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Default What are the signs of bad turbo bearings?

Just curious. This car sat for 12 years or so before I got it running this past week. When I had the intake off I felt the turbine shaft from where the hose connects, didnt feel any play and spun smooth, but I did not really know what I was looking for. I could not get ANY play from it though. There is still the worry that sitting for so long, the bearings would quickly go once used at operating speeds, I would think?

I get a noise once in a while when taking off from a stop, while releasing the clutch when the engine RPM's drop low and then pick up, right at that point I hear a slight vibration or maybe scraping noise, for a half second before the RPM's get to 1krpm or so.

Something with my clutch is screwy because it is not completely disengaging (it is more difficult than it should be to get into gear at idle) so I was suspecting the noise is from that (maybe broken helper springs?) but I have those images of people with bent turbine fins in my head.

I get full boost, no audible noises from the turbo otherwise besides what I think is the normal hiss, and no oil or coolant loss.

I suppose I should just pull the parts out to be able to feel the turbine again, just curious if I should hear more than just this one noise if it was bad turbo.
Old 07-01-2010 | 04:45 PM
Ronin-951
Burning Brakes

What are the signs? $$$$ Get a stethoscope and listen to the bearings, should be smooth all through the RPM range, no 'Rattles'. Clutch thing is tougher, start cheap, bleed the hydralic line first.
Old 07-01-2010 | 05:15 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Yeah the clutch is a b****. I've bled it 3 weekends. Stupidly, I have not measured the clutch fork movement difference. It is a new master slave and line between. I'm guessing its more at this point. Going to see what EPE (supposedly a good porsche shop) thinks of it when I'm getting an alignment tomorrow though..

There are no rattles when reving the engine at any RPM while under the hood, this noise only comes when coming off the clutch. I was figuring that under load (actually driving) the turbo experiences different force than just turning the throttle by hand from idle standing next to it.
Old 07-01-2010 | 05:22 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Turbo, if no play and no oil leakage it is good to go, these turbos are painfully simple in their construction... and obvious when bad..

Clutch.. I have heard of some having success when reverse bleeding it (I.E. put fluid IN at the slave cylinder and watch the reservoir for bubbles to stop..)

I have had GREAT success myself using my Motive power bleeder.. 1 shot, 5 minutes each time... perfect results!
Old 07-01-2010 | 05:26 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

I used the motive bleeder, tried bleeding at both the slave and at the rubber line to hard line to master connection. About 20 times. All using the motive. Clutch stays up fine, and releases fine, just getting a little rotation of the trans when clutch depressed. Either theres corrosion from sitting for 12 years between the flywheel and clutch but that shouldve definitely been gone after a few hours of driving now, or some bearing is seized or the clutch is just messed up somehow mechanically. Maybe its a broken clutch fork, who knows. Bled the NA's clutch with no motive, 5 minutes of pumping. This one has been just silly.

Quick Reply: What are the signs of bad turbo bearings?