Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Need to try to jury rig the DME relay

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 11:48 PM
por4ever
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to try to jury rig the DME relay

I know it sounds crazy but I am driving cross country and I am stuck in Sydney, Nebraska heading West. Everything was going smoothly then I could feel the engine losing power then it would come back. This happened until the engine just quit. I checked my pressure gauge on the rail and it read 0 psi.

I jumpered pins 30 - 87b and the pump runs and the pressure looks ok. I let it run for a couple of minutes and it flowed fine. After a cooling down period I got it started but I can still feel the engine dropping out.

My question is can I bridge pins 30 and 87b and run the car like that just remembering to pull the bridge when I stop the car?

I'm racking out tonight but I really need some advice.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:03 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

No damage to the car if you run with the jumper on the DME relay socket. Two issue come to mind:

-If you do NOT remove the jumper when you turn off the car, the battery will run down
-If you get in an accident, and the engine stalls, the DME will not be able to turn off the fuel pump by turning off the DME relay.

In a bind, it shouldn't cause an issue running with the jumpers. A quck search shows NAPA has the relay and NAPA is in every town.

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...+50062+2062033
Old 06-28-2010, 09:41 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Yep. Brian has you covered.

Same thing happend to me and a buddy many years ago in my old NA 944 in the middle of BFE Georgia and pulling it into a gas station and getting the "is this a suped up V dub?" AHHHHH lol

Since then I always keep a known good spare DME relay in the car.

Quick Reply: Need to try to jury rig the DME relay