Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

coupler re-installation issues.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 07:06 PM
Tayloray
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coupler re-installation issues.

Okay so i had to put a new torque tube in my 951 because the coupler stripped the splines on my old one. so after allot of broken bolts, the couple not wanting to come off. etc etc. i've got the old tt out, and the new(out of an 86) one in.

Two questions;

First off. the tt i got was just pulled from an na 86 (i have an 86 951) and when i put it back in, the shaft seemed really far towards the rear. so i taped it in about 2 inches, and it stopped. is that where it should be?

Number two. I got the transaxel up, and after much wrestling with the tranny, i got the copler to start sliding, but it got stuck about two inches up, about an hour with a hammer, a foot crow bar, then a three foot crow bar, i made it about another inch, still about 1.5 inches from where i needed to be. i assumed that smoething was wrong with the used coupler i got, so i took the tranny back out, only to find it slides all the way on both shafts fine, via either end. so i out the tranny back up, and calle it a night because i had work at 8am, and it was about 2 or so. so my question is. whats the trick? how do i get it lined up just right to slide it on? i tried bolting it up, but that didn't work too well.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:48 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

You just need the tranny and TT shafts aligned straight as an arrow and the coupler will slide fairly easily. It sometimes helps to lift the rear of the TT with a jack and/or leave the tranny on a tranny jack so you can jocky it around until both shafts are aligned.

As for taping the draft shaft inside the tt, I've never had to do that, but have noticed some move more than others -- not sure what that means about the condition of the bearings, etc., if anything.

Quick Reply: coupler re-installation issues.