Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Car is getting hot...fans only come on in low speed

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 09:54 AM
LFA951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car is getting hot...fans only come on in low speed

I remember when my fans would come on and stay on in high speed when I parked my car. Now they only come on in low speed, never in high, even if it gets up to the second white line. Is this because I changed the relay? All fuses are fine, could it be the thermo switch? I don't have A/C and it has been getting warmer than usual, what could it be?
Old 06-17-2010, 10:35 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

The A/C button should still make the fans go to high speed even if you have removed the compressor.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:39 AM
LFA951
Drifting

The A/C doesn't work, it blows air from outside, don't know if the electrical is working, my tehc said he can jumper the line so that it can run in high speed instead of low...
Old 06-17-2010, 10:44 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How is "hot" being measured? Is the tech trusting the gauge in the dash, or using actual measurement of the coolant either at the radiator, coolant neck, hose, or another point?

The in dash gauge is fickle, as are the sensors and wiring.. is it possible you are not hitting the point at which the high speed is supposed to come on?

FWIW, my turbo car will hit high-speed sitting still, but my N/A rarely makes it above the low side mark on the gauge, but will hit high speed on the fan if driven hard on a hot day!

As an aside, I notice a lot of people referring to their mechanics, but very few ever refer to their technicians... aside over!
Old 06-17-2010, 10:48 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

dude just hit the A/C pop the hood and check to see if both fans are running
Old 06-17-2010, 10:57 AM
LFA951
Drifting

Originally Posted by reno808
dude just hit the A/C pop the hood and check to see if both fans are running
When I press the A/C button it makes no difference...
Old 06-17-2010, 11:02 AM
LFA951
Drifting

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
How is "hot" being measured? Is the tech trusting the gauge in the dash, or using actual measurement of the coolant either at the radiator, coolant neck, hose, or another point?

The in dash gauge is fickle, as are the sensors and wiring.. is it possible you are not hitting the point at which the high speed is supposed to come on?

FWIW, my turbo car will hit high-speed sitting still, but my N/A rarely makes it above the low side mark on the gauge, but will hit high speed on the fan if driven hard on a hot day!

As an aside, I notice a lot of people referring to their mechanics, but very few ever refer to their technicians... aside over!
Hot is being measured by the temperature gauge inside, high speed doesn't come on at anytime, no matter what button I hit...
Old 06-17-2010, 11:13 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Brain says, wire harness and relays are YUMMY..

You either have a bad thermo switch (I thought you said you had a new one), a bad relay ($$), or wiring issues.

IF you have replaced the thermo switch with the proper temp one, and you replace your relay and it still isn't working your harness needs some healing.

teh fans should BOTH be spinning when the snowflake switch is pressed, if they are not it points to a faulty switch, HVAC control head, or again wiring harness issues.

get the gremlins run out of town, or they are going to haunt you for a long time to come!
Old 06-17-2010, 11:15 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by LFA951
Hot is being measured by the temperature gauge inside, high speed doesn't come on at anytime, no matter what button I hit...
Don't trust the gauge, get an IR thermometer (or have the tech get one) and trust it's readings, the gauge in the factory instrument cluster is about as far as you can get from accurate while still having a gauge!
Old 06-17-2010, 11:20 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

IIRC, someone was having cooling fan issues a while back that traced to the AC snowflake switch, but I could be wrong... might be worth a looksie!
Old 06-17-2010, 11:27 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

More info can be found here... forgot to mention the resistors and wiring on teh firewall, check the resistors and the resistor wiring for condition..

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/cool-01.htm
Old 06-17-2010, 11:30 AM
LFA951
Drifting

Default Just remembered

I just remembered that a few weeks ago, the bulb in my glove compartment went out and along with it my digital clock stopped working, does this have anything to do with the wiring for the A/C button or why it wouldn't work if I press it???
Old 06-17-2010, 11:32 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Good info in this thread for troubleshooting.. it is an old thread though!

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...ow-speeds.html
Old 06-17-2010, 11:35 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by LFA951
I just remembered that a few weeks ago, the bulb in my glove compartment went out and along with it my digital clock stopped working, does this have anything to do with the wiring for the A/C button or why it wouldn't work if I press it???
Nope, that is a blown fuse, caused by a MWO not being done to rewire the glove box light... basically you need to swap the positive and negative on teh glove box light, and replace the fuse..

BTW I bet your dome lights and cig lighter dont work eiter (both my cars have all teh accessories on the same fuse... check fuse #11)
Old 06-17-2010, 11:37 AM
LFA951
Drifting

Yes, my dome light stopped working, cigarette lighter never did, I will check fuse 11, thanks...

Quick Reply: Car is getting hot...fans only come on in low speed