Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Great clamps!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 02:28 AM
951Doc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great clamps!

I've used Oetiker stepless clamps on my aircraft's turbo'd induction system and they're great to work with. These clamps are cheap, reliable, very low profile, and clamp uniformly around the hose. They're available at Aircraft Spruce:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...es/oetiker.php

BTW, I have no financial interest in Aircraft Spruce, although by now with the money I've spent, I should.

951Doc
Old 06-17-2010, 03:07 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

well they don't look very low profile but they do look to be outstanding value $4 ea for stainless t bar style clamps and that smooth inside set up is slick to..I will definatly invest in a full set of these .
I just realised yesterday how much better a regular hose clamp works with a bit of grease ...
Old 06-17-2010, 04:35 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 951Doc
I've used Oetiker stepless clamps on my aircraft's turbo'd induction system and they're great to work with. These clamps are cheap, reliable, very low profile, and clamp uniformly around the hose. They're available at Aircraft Spruce:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...es/oetiker.php

BTW, I have no financial interest in Aircraft Spruce, although by now with the money I've spent, I should.

951Doc
Nice. Thanks.
BTW do you know a place that sells basic U.S. issue sunglasses and do you know a reliable shop thaqt can repair an original Breitling?

I know it's OT, but I seldom get a chance to ask a pilot.
TIA
Old 06-17-2010, 07:56 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ehall
Nice. Thanks.
BTW do you know a place that sells basic U.S. issue sunglasses and do you know a reliable shop thaqt can repair an original Breitling?

TIA
Just picked a few after I googled...

http://www.breitling.com/en/index.ph...north-america/

http://www.bestfixwatch.com/Breitling_Watch_Repair.php

http://www.capetowndiamond.com/newme...rections.shtml

AND

http://www.uswings.com/sunglasses.asp

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...ed=0CEIQrQQwAg
Old 06-17-2010, 09:22 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

We call the ear clamps Oetikers, which is the type of clamp I prefer to use (1-ear ring with insert). The installation tool and ear clamps are available from McMaster Carr.

I may try some of those Oetiker screw clamps. They also have them with a self-tensioning spring.

I've bought from Aircraft Spruce before - nice people to deal with.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:32 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

do you know a reliable shop thaqt can repair an original Breitling?
I just had a watch repaired by Tourneau - it was expensive, but they did a good job.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:52 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

geez to rich for my blood perhaps the local coke dealer will know .. shouldn't a watch that expensive be indestructible ??
Old 06-17-2010, 10:40 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 951Doc

951Doc
The black hole of the track budget....if I go near Aircraft Spruce money gets sucked out of my wallet...not because they are expensive - but because they have irresistible stuff!
Old 06-17-2010, 11:15 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice. Thanks.

TIA
Pretty well anyone can fix a Breitling if you aren't particular about it staying all-original. (Like a lot of good watches, they share one of a few popular movements). Is it a chronograph? I'm wearing my Navitimer (white/white) today. I wish it were a white/black one, though...

Disclaimer: I am not a pilot, only a poseur.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:41 AM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

If I had all of the money I spent at Aircraft Spruce back, I'd hire someone to read RL and post for me!
Old 06-17-2010, 01:16 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been using those also, they work very well and fit in some tight spots thankfully. I would not have been able to get a standard t-bolt around my FMIC end tanks without it being a serious pain in the ***.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:09 PM
951Doc
Advanced

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
well they don't look very low profile but they do look to be outstanding value $4 ea for stainless t bar style clamps and that smooth inside set up is slick to..I will definatly invest in a full set of these .
I just realised yesterday how much better a regular hose clamp works with a bit of grease ...
The picture on the Aircraft Spruce website makes them look pretty big, but another pic later in this thread shows them more to scale.

951Doc
Old 06-17-2010, 07:54 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
geez to rich for my blood perhaps the local coke dealer will know .. shouldn't a watch that expensive be indestructible ??
Mine (Aerospace in titanium with titanium Professional bracelet) is...I wear it doing absolutely everything I do, including sticking it into every part of every car I touch, and it has never been damaged by anything...but that's a modern watch. When he says "original", I'm guessing he means one of the '50s or '60s models, which were much less rugged.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:38 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JDS968
Mine (Aerospace in titanium with titanium Professional bracelet) is...I wear it doing absolutely everything I do, including sticking it into every part of every car I touch, and it has never been damaged by anything...but that's a modern watch. When he says "original", I'm guessing he means one of the '50s or '60s models, which were much less rugged.
Sorry to take the thread so Ot.

Yes, It's an original 806 Navitimer with the black face, slide rule and gold. It was my Grand fathers watch that he bought after the Korean War. He was a fighter pilot in Korea and WWII, so I'd like to preserve it.
Thanks for the links and suggestions. The only one that I had wanted 450.00 just to send it too them, have them open it up, and give me an estimate.
That seems steap.
My guess is that it will cost a grand to fix, but it's been appraised, even non functioning at 8k.
The value though, lies in the fact that he died when I was 3, and he left it too me, so I have to honor it and him.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:55 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The value though, lies in the fact that he died when I was 3, and he left it too me, so I have to honor it and him.
Yeah, my Grandfather gave me the watch he wore through WWII... Means more to me then any/all single material things.

Quick Reply: Great clamps!