Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

KW V3 ride height and reindexing

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 04:36 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Seems to be too much rear. The average KW setup errs more towards the front being stronger than the rears effectively by about 1.5 to 1 approx. However since you're communicating with them I'd go with their recommendation.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:03 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Too add some closure to this thread, i installed the rear coils with torsion bars. My stock ride height with just the Koni rears was aprox. 26" from ground to fender lip. After installation of the coils, it went up to about 26.25". I dropped the rear using the spring plate and it came in at slightly under 25.5" which is exactly where i wanted it! So right now i am not going to screw around with the torsion bars at all and see how things feel. Infact i am not going to install the ER polybronze bushings yet either as i am sort of on a tight time frame. Ill just drop the rear suspension again this winter when i have more time.

I might be able to lower it more using the spring perches on the coils, but i have not played with them yet. They are set as delivered and setup from KW. I can tell you i can probably lower the perch well over an inch before the helper springs come anywhere near unseated.

Coils installed, 26.5" from ground to fender. Yes, i drove the car around the block to let suspension settle.

Here is after the drop using the spring plate. Slightly under 25.5". Note this is the other side of the car, but the ride heights are even... basically 1 finger gap between tire and fender lip.

Spring plate before adjustment.

After adjustment.

I will make one of my writeup threads when i get some more time documenting the install of the KW's + the torque tube swap i am doing.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:16 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking good... the KW ride height specs are from the wheel hub center to the fender lip. You may want to double check you are in that range. Also, the adjustable threaded perch is supposed to be within about a 1" range on the threads on the shock body.

The KW instructions actually suggest using the spring plates to adjust height rather than reindexing, so what you've done is exactly in accordance with the instructions, FWIW.

Also note the KW specs call for a slightly higher rear than front ride height, which I found interesting, since I'd always thought these cars were supposed to be set "flat". I'm at the top of the recommended height range both in the rear and for the front, and handling is great, so I'm not inclined to change it.

The guys that designed this kit did a very good job in working out a nicely balanced setup as the default, I think. What compression/rebound settings are you starting with?

Look forward to hearing your impressions.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:43 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Mark, i have them set at the recommended compression / rebound as in the manual. Right off the bat i feel the rear may need to be stiffened a bit.

Ill have to check the spring perch height in relation to the body, i left them with what they were at when shipped from KW. I assumed they may be set aprox. where they should be once installed as the perches were at the exact same height on both sides. Also the compression / rebound was set with the factory recommended settings also. So my guess is it was all setup 'close' out of the box.

I did not measure, but the perch appears more than an inch the way it was set.

BTW Mark, what ride height did you get front / rear measuring from center hub to fender lip and what do you get from ground to fender lip? I used to always measure center of hub to fender, but its tough to do with these wheels due to the concave and lack of centercaps. It will probably be atleast a day or two until i have this back together again to check.

I see in the instructions it says this,

Front : 305mm -> 335mm or 12" -> 13.1"
Rear : 325mm -> 355mm or 12.79" -> 13.97"
Old 06-12-2010, 05:08 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quick measurements:

Rear: ~335mm hub centre to fender lip, ~640mm/25.2" floor to fender lip.
Front: ~325mm hub centre to fender lip, ~630mm/24.8" floor to fender lip.

A bit lower (and "flatter") than I remember -- I thought I was at 355 rear, 335 front, the top of the ride height recommendations. I'm closer to the mid-range setting (which would be 320 front/340 rear.)

Actually, I might even raise the rear 5mm, and drop the front 5mm, just to get it at that point. Interesting. Further settling, I suppose? (I set this up a few months ago now...)
Old 06-12-2010, 09:12 AM
blade7
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Fender lip height is not the most accurate measure, also it helps to have your approx weight on the drivers seat when setting the ride height.

Quick Reply: KW V3 ride height and reindexing